Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Selling on amazon question

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 1:07 pm
I found an item that I'd like to import and sell on amazon but it looks like one of the local jewish stores are selling this item under their private label , how do I know if the item is patented ? Will that local store be able to come and show that this style belongs to them? The item that I wanna sell is a basic item that doesn't go out of style ever

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 1:30 pm
Bump

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 6:10 pm
Bumping for the evening imas, I'm sure there are amazon sellers on here that would help me with this

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 6:27 pm
I think there are lawyers that can check if there are patents on any product etc.

realsilver

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 6:34 pm
It’s not an Amazon question. It’s a patent question.
Your best bet is asking a lawyer

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 6:40 pm
Is it something that the local store designed themselves? As in is it Judaic specific? Will you be targeting Jewish ppl on Amazon? If yes I wouldn’t do it. If no I wouldn’t worry.

I think you should learn more about the business though before you try to start selling on Amazon. Here’s a good resource https://walterhaysbusinessbooks.com/

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 7:44 pm
Thanks so much friends, it's a type of clothing that I saw same exact from one of the "jewish" brands , can I take that same style and put my own lable? Perhaps change a minor detail like trimming and buttons?

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:15 pm
It is extremely difficult to "protect" clothing styles unless you are using the logo of the brand - I.e. Coach or Vuitton have recognizable logos which are protected by trademark - not patent.

What exactly is the "same" about the item? Clothing is inspired by other clothing pieces all the time as part of how fashion is created. It would have to be something completely unique to have protection.

How do you know that the item isn't actually from the sources you would be using - in other words the store is just buying clothing wholesale and there is nothing that protects Macy's if Bloomingdales buys clothing from the same manufacturer unless there is some kind of exclusive agreement between Macys and the manufacturer.

However, it is increasingly difficult to make money on amazon unless you have a truly unique product that can break through the competition and even get eyeballs to look at it. As others have suggested, there are things one must learn to actually become successful on amazon.

Without knowing more, it would seem that the best way to proceed would be to buy a few items as samples and let people know you are selling. Many people are willing to buy more in order to be able to see the item in person.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much friends, it's a type of clothing that I saw same exact from one of the "jewish" brands , can I take that same style and put my own lable? Perhaps change a minor detail like trimming and buttons?

Do you think that "jewish Brand" designed this style - and the overseas supplier is selling a knockoff version?

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:32 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Do you think that "jewish Brand" designed this style - and the overseas supplier is selling a knockoff version?

Without knowing exactly what is so special about the item, what would be the odds of a Chinese manufacturer seeing something sold in a small store in a Jewish neighborhood and deciding to knock it off.

It is much more likely that it is just something that is bought from China. There have been some threads in which people have seen jewelry that is expensive sold in a Jewish store and the same item on alixexpress for $3.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:38 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Without knowing exactly what is so special about the item, what would be the odds of a Chinese manufacturer seeing something sold in a small store in a Jewish neighborhood and deciding to knock it off.

It is much more likely that it is just something that is bought from China. There have been some threads in which people have seen jewelry that is expensive sold in a Jewish store and the same item on alixexpress for $3.

The knock-off happens when the manufacture is hired by the person in the USA to produce the clothes, as designed by them, and then copies it for other parties/themselves.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics