Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Giving the boss a gift

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 8:48 am
I work in a wonderful small office thats a family business. Im the only one working here whos not a pat of the family. still I love my job and my workmates.
Boss made a bar mitzvah recently and I wanted to give a gift. I ended up getting gift certificate for 100$ which I thought was appropriate cuz hes a good boss.
But when I told people they were like this is CRAZY! way too much!
what do you think

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 8:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I work in a wonderful small office thats a family business. Im the only one working here whos not a pat of the family. still I love my job and my workmates.
Boss made a bar mitzvah recently and I wanted to give a gift. I ended up getting gift certificate for 100$ which I thought was appropriate cuz hes a good boss.
But when I told people they were like this is CRAZY! way too much!
what do you think

Not appropriate. Buy a sefer for the boy.

Goody2shoes

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 9:03 am
why not appropriate? I need to hear the logic behind it

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 9:17 am
wannabamom wrote:
why not appropriate? I need to hear the logic behind it

Its not appropriate to give your boss money, as OP put it 'cuz he's a good boss'.

In an employer employee relationship - the cash flows in one direction only. It otherwise looks like a bit like a bribe.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 9:22 am
it wasnt given to the boss out of bribery but for his simcha and he and his wife knew it
my question was if the amount of money I gave was too much
and if you say that it was unappropriated to give then what about giving your boss shalach manos

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 9:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
it wasnt given to the boss out of bribery but for his simcha and he and his wife knew it
my question was if the amount of money I gave was too much
and if you say that it was unappropriated to give then what about giving your boss shalach manos

Shalach Manos isn't cash.

Is $100 what you would give to a neighbor? Not close friend?

mom!

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 9:44 am
$100 on a gift to a boss who is making a simcha is definitely the correct amount. Did you give a standard gift card like a visa or a certificate to a specific store?
Personally, I would’ve maybe sent a big cake for the kiddush or even a gift certificate to a judicia store as a gift for the bar mitzva boy.
You definitely didn’t do wrong here.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 9:52 am
mom! wrote:
$100 on a gift to a boss who is making a simcha is definitely the correct amount. Did you give a standard gift card like a visa or a certificate to a specific store?
Personally, I would’ve maybe sent a big cake for the kiddush or even a gift certificate to a judicia store as a gift for the bar mitzva boy.
You definitely didn’t do wrong here.

problem is that the company I work for is a bakery so food was out. I would have done minitures instead.
I gave to a specific store so that the boy can use it for himself not the parents

mom!

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 9:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
problem is that the company I work for is a bakery so food was out. I would have done minitures instead.
I gave to a specific store so that the boy can use it for himself not the parents

You did perfect. I would’ve done the same.

Goody2shoes

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 9:55 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Shalach Manos isn't cash.

Is $100 what you would give to a neighbor? Not close friend?

why the comparison? maybe its excepted to do that for bosses in OP community. and a boss isnt a friend but still more then a neighbor

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 9:56 am
mom! wrote:
You did perfect. I would’ve done the same.

Thank you! nice to know that I'm understood Smile

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 10:01 am
wannabamom wrote:
why the comparison? maybe its excepted to do that for bosses in OP community. and a boss isnt a friend but still more then a neighbor

If its expected in her community - there is no question here. Her friends - who I assume are in her community told her what they thought.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 10:03 am
You did perfect.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 10:05 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
If its expected in her community - there is no question here. Her friends - who I assume are in her community told her what they thought.

my friends had more of an issue with the fact that I gave so much over the fact that I gave money
explained to them though that I am the only outsider so I have no coworkers to split the expenses with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics