Home

Giving the boss a gift

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 11:48 am
I work in a wonderful small office thats a family business. Im the only one working here whos not a pat of the family. still I love my job and my workmates.
Boss made a bar mitzvah recently and I wanted to give a gift. I ended up getting gift certificate for 100$ which I thought was appropriate cuz hes a good boss.
But when I told people they were like this is CRAZY! way too much!
what do you think
Back to top

amother




Tan
 

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 11:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I work in a wonderful small office thats a family business. Im the only one working here whos not a pat of the family. still I love my job and my workmates.
Boss made a bar mitzvah recently and I wanted to give a gift. I ended up getting gift certificate for 100$ which I thought was appropriate cuz hes a good boss.
But when I told people they were like this is CRAZY! way too much!
what do you think


Not appropriate. Buy a sefer for the boy.
Back to top

alwayssmiling




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 12:03 pm
why not appropriate? I need to hear the logic behind it
Back to top

amother




Tan
 

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 12:17 pm
wannabamom wrote:
why not appropriate? I need to hear the logic behind it


Its not appropriate to give your boss money, as OP put it 'cuz he's a good boss'.

In an employer employee relationship - the cash flows in one direction only. It otherwise looks like a bit like a bribe.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 12:22 pm
it wasnt given to the boss out of bribery but for his simcha and he and his wife knew it
my question was if the amount of money I gave was too much
and if you say that it was unappropriated to give then what about giving your boss shalach manos
Back to top

amother




Tan
 

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 12:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
it wasnt given to the boss out of bribery but for his simcha and he and his wife knew it
my question was if the amount of money I gave was too much
and if you say that it was unappropriated to give then what about giving your boss shalach manos


Shalach Manos isn't cash.

Is $100 what you would give to a neighbor? Not close friend?
Back to top

mom!




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 12:44 pm
$100 on a gift to a boss who is making a simcha is definitely the correct amount. Did you give a standard gift card like a visa or a certificate to a specific store?
Personally, I would’ve maybe sent a big cake for the kiddush or even a gift certificate to a judicia store as a gift for the bar mitzva boy.
You definitely didn’t do wrong here.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 12:52 pm
mom! wrote:
$100 on a gift to a boss who is making a simcha is definitely the correct amount. Did you give a standard gift card like a visa or a certificate to a specific store?
Personally, I would’ve maybe sent a big cake for the kiddush or even a gift certificate to a judicia store as a gift for the bar mitzva boy.
You definitely didn’t do wrong here.

problem is that the company I work for is a bakery so food was out. I would have done minitures instead.
I gave to a specific store so that the boy can use it for himself not the parents
Back to top

mom!




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 12:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
problem is that the company I work for is a bakery so food was out. I would have done minitures instead.
I gave to a specific store so that the boy can use it for himself not the parents


You did perfect. I would’ve done the same.
Back to top

alwayssmiling




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 12:55 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Shalach Manos isn't cash.

Is $100 what you would give to a neighbor? Not close friend?

why the comparison? maybe its excepted to do that for bosses in OP community. and a boss isnt a friend but still more then a neighbor
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 12:56 pm
mom! wrote:
You did perfect. I would’ve done the same.

Thank you! nice to know that I'm understood Smile
Back to top

amother




Tan
 

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 1:01 pm
wannabamom wrote:
why the comparison? maybe its excepted to do that for bosses in OP community. and a boss isnt a friend but still more then a neighbor


If its expected in her community - there is no question here. Her friends - who I assume are in her community told her what they thought.
Back to top

amother




Silver
 

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 1:03 pm
You did perfect.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 1:05 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
If its expected in her community - there is no question here. Her friends - who I assume are in her community told her what they thought.

my friends had more of an issue with the fact that I gave so much over the fact that I gave money
explained to them though that I am the only outsider so I have no coworkers to split the expenses with.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Anniversary gift for DH- attention singleagain
by amother
10 Today at 8:10 am View last post
Nice weekday watch for a gift 4 Today at 1:24 am View last post
Wedding Gift Stores for in Lakewood
by amother
2 Yesterday at 11:06 pm View last post
Graduation gift for boy?
by amother
10 Yesterday at 11:05 pm View last post
Bar mitzvah gift ideas
by amother
9 Yesterday at 9:43 am View last post