Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Keto help!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 1:27 pm
Hi, I really want to live a keto lifestyle, I keep reading about so many health benefits from it and I also know that carbs are not my friend and I would love to lose weight and I know that's the only way that will work.
First of all, how do you do keto when the rest of your family is not on it and you have to cook for them? How do you do it when you have crazy carb cravings? How do you find the time to cook separate things like cauliflower crust and almond flour dough? I would love any tips advice and especially recipes or meal plans any of you could share with me!! Please help 🙏🏻

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 1:52 pm
Just know it’s an all or nothing plan
You can’t flip back and forth

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 2:12 pm
Yes, that's why I want to make sure I have a good plan in place and lots of helpful information. Thanks

hesha

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 2:18 pm
https://www.health.harvard.edu.....-diet

The keto diet isn’t actually a healthy diet.
It is a wonderful option for some people with certain health challenges, such as children with seizure disorders. But if you don’t have a medical reason for pursuing this diet, I would think twice about it.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 3:28 pm
hesha wrote:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/should-you-try-the-keto-diet

It is a wonderful option for some people with certain health challenges, such as children with seizure disorders. But if you don’t have a medical reason for pursuing this diet, I would think twice about it.

It is for people that are insulin resistant, pre- diabetic, diabetic, ppl that have cancer, and other metabolic disorders

It’s a whole food diet that’s much healthier than SAD. If it’s done right.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 3:44 pm
I went on the keto diet a while back , bc I can't lose wait as long as I have any carbs. The problem is, you need to know how much fat you're eating. You can't eat fatty foods until satiated, which one of the mothers on this site told me she does. I found myself eating till satiated, and never went to bed hungry, but didn't lose any weight. There's a Dr. Eric Berg who is an expert on the keto diet. He has books and videos out, explaining how to keto diet correctly.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 4:03 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I went on the keto diet a while back , bc I can't lose wait as long as I have any carbs. The problem is, you need to know how much fat you're eating. You can't eat fatty foods until satiated, which one of the mothers on this site told me she does. I found myself eating till satiated, and never went to bed hungry, but didn't lose any weight. There's a Dr. Eric Berg who is an expert on the keto diet. He has books and videos out, explaining how to keto diet correctly.

There’s lots of experts on line
Dr. Westman
Dr. Berry
Dr. Syrus
Violet the Keto Psychologist - she talks more on the emotional aspect and relationship one has with food.

BTW- I find GREYSHEET food plan to be fantastic. It’s not keto, but it is low carb.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 4:19 pm
Dr. Eric Berg great resource

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 4:28 pm
I started Keto a week and a half ago . I don’t plan on being on it long term but at least for 3 months. At 3 months I will go for blood work and see if it improved anything for me. If it did, I’ll stay on it. If not, I’m going off of it.
I use an app that lets me know what macros I need and I track my macros on the app. This way I stay within my carbs, fat , protein and calories. If you don’t have a calorie deficit you won’t lose weight .
I’m not finding making supper for me and the family difficult. I just make an extra pan dirty.
The other day I made pizza for the family and a homemade keto pizza for myself and my DS who is also doing Keto . It took me 5 minutes more .
I do not crave any carbs but I do want to have a slice of bread or piece of cake, so I researched Keto recipes online and bought all the necessary ingredients and I plan to make and freeze Keto bread, chocolate cake etc. and other snacks so that I could enjoy a slice of cake Shabbos morning , or have a sandwich for lunch but still remain in Ketosis.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 5:34 pm
IMHO- snacks and faux foods are foods to have on RARE occasions
Stick to fatty protein and a low carb veg with a bit of good quality olive oil.
The original Atkins was 3 cups of leafy greens a day
Everyone is different. It depends how much metabolic damage you have.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 5:39 pm
I'm borderline insulin resistant, but the keto diet was not for me. It made me very sick. It caused muscle cramps, fibromyalgia flares, and a horrible bladder infection (trying to process the ketones.)

Now, I have a teeny, tiny amount of carbs, just enough to keep my body from freaking out. Otherwise I do the basic plan, but with my own adjustments.

Listen to your body! It's worth a try, but if your body is not happy, then you need to think about healthy, complex carbs like whole grains that are high in protein. No junk carbs at all, though. (And I have real sugar in my coffee in the morning. Don't tell anyone! Silent )

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 6:08 pm
When I tried keto, the keto flu was a real killer. I made sure to take electrolytes and persisted on the diet but it never got better, so I had to stop.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 6:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi, I really want to live a keto lifestyle, I keep reading about so many health benefits from it and I also know that carbs are not my friend and I would love to lose weight and I know that's the only way that will work.
First of all, how do you do keto when the rest of your family is not on it and you have to cook for them? How do you do it when you have crazy carb cravings? How do you find the time to cook separate things like cauliflower crust and almond flour dough? I would love any tips advice and especially recipes or meal plans any of you could share with me!! Please help 🙏🏻

I’ve been doing it and lost over 50 lbs BH and it kills your appetite! You can just cook added carb side dishes for your family if you wish.,. What’s the problem?

I eat all the protein, healthy fat, non starchy veggies I want...

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 6:49 pm
hesha wrote:

You’re wrong. My doctor told me it’s been widely discovered that carbs are totally unhealthy and so has being overweight, and this diet works!

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 6:50 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:

That’s wrong too. I eat all the protein, healthy fats and veggies I want and lost weight like crazy very quickly. Add exercise and it’ll be even faster.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 6:52 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
There’s lots of experts on line
Dr. Westman
Dr. Berry
Dr. Syrus
Violet the Keto Psychologist - she talks more on the emotional aspect and relationship one has with food.

BTW- I find GREYSHEET food plan to be fantastic. It’s not keto, but it is low carb.

Oh gosh I found OA grey sheet impossible and so extreme, along with the meetings in which you’re not allowed to utter the word potato for fear everyone will run out and go eat French fries. Plus it’s Impossible to eat at a Simcha with that, you always have to eat at home beforehand. Almost impossible to stick with such an extreme thing

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 6:55 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'm borderline insulin resistant, but the keto diet was not for me. It made me very sick. It caused muscle cramps, fibromyalgia flares, and a horrible bladder infection (trying to process the ketones.)

Now, I have a teeny, tiny amount of carbs, just enough to keep my body from freaking out. Otherwise I do the basic plan, but with my own adjustments.

Listen to your body! It's worth a try, but if your body is not happy, then you need to think about healthy, complex carbs like whole grains that are high in protein. No junk carbs at all, though. (And I have real sugar in my coffee in the morning. Don't tell anyone! Silent )

Or add fruit
This why iMHO- GREYSHEET food plan is really the best
Basically
Breakfast is a fruit portion and a protein portion
Lunch a salad and a protein plus 1 TBSP FAT
Dinner a salad, a veg, a protein plus 3 TBSP FAT

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 7:04 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Oh gosh I found OA grey sheet impossible and so extreme, along with the meetings in which you’re not allowed to utter the word potato for fear everyone will run out and go eat French fries. Plus it’s Impossible to eat at a Simcha with that, you always have to eat at home beforehand. Almost impossible to stick with such an extreme thing

Keto is just as strict though. You need to follow your macros and weigh and measure everything. You need to limit your veg. No fruit, and the protein portion for me is much smaller than on GREYSHEET.
Yes fat is until you are satiated, but you can easily overdo calories.
On keto you can’t just eat anywhere

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 8:34 pm
hesha wrote:

This is 100% not true.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 8:35 pm
andrea levy wrote:
This is 100% not true.

I mean it’s true that it is used in children with epilepsy but there is nothing unhealthy about it unless you are a type one diabetic who does not take insulin and has high sugars.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise