Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
CH child friendly megillah reading
Previous  1  2  3

shopaholic

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 12:29 pm
I agree that kids should not be brought - TO SHUL- if they can't be quiet. But to a private reading in someone's house, like GR who's DH is reading for women & kids & is ready to stop for noise, what's wrong with that? If there's a kid friendly alternative, why should your kids miss out? GR, if I had a baby, I'd be coming to you, but BH my kids are old enough to be quiet. Thanks for arranging this for everyone!

Tehilla

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 12:32 pm
that's right momof3--the title of the thread is "Kid-Friendly Megillah Reading in CH."

not "Do you think I should take my children to my megillah reading?"

gryp

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 12:33 pm
So nice to hear the world hasn't gone nuts on me. Thanks, momof3. Smile

Hannah!

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 12:34 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Sun, May 04 2008, 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

gryp

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 12:34 pm
...and Tehilla, of course! Smile

gryp

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 12:35 pm
Thank you, Hannah, as well. Smile So nice that so many of us can understand something so simple.

Hannah!

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 12:40 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Sun, May 04 2008, 5:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 12:41 pm
Motek wrote:
I agree with Choc.

I think it's out of the question to take children to a megilla reading if you are not sure they can sit quietly for 40 minutes, unless the one reading the megilla is going to stop every time there is noise and wait for silence, ensuring that everybody hears every word.

I also do not think that the vast majority of children under 5 can sit quietly for 40 minutes and should not be made to try. As far as I know there is no mitzva of chinuch for megilla for children of this age, and the hergesh of the parents should not be at their children's expense. If parents want children to hear what the laining of the megilla sounds like, they can hear one perek.

And clearly, so does Gr. She does not think it is ok to take her kids to shul, so she has gone to the trouble (and expense, megillas are not cheap) of arranging that she has a private reading at home. YOU do not have to be there. Nor does Chocolate Moose. Nor do I, nor anyone else who would prefer a quiet adult reading.

gryp

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 12:51 pm
That's right, Raisin. Smile
All the credit really goes to my husband. Easy for me to say I'm hearing at home, but the work and trouble is all his.

queenyemk

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 1:09 pm
Thanks Tehilla for letting me know I'm not crazy with the thread title. I thought people didn't understand.

For those who took this on a unneeded derech - Again my questions were is there:
1. A child freindly megillah reading = GR's house
2. Two leinings in a row. - Nobody answered.

GR I'm still confirming - sounds like it will be fun.
Could you do it after 770 by night so that my DH can hear and take DD afterwards while I listen.

By day what will by the seder??

gryp

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 1:30 pm
queeny, I'm not sure yet with the times. PM me if you think you want to come and I'll give you more details.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 2:56 pm
GR wrote:
None of the mothers attending seem to be worried about their kids being quiet for that 1/2 hour. Enough said.

Actually, isn't that why Queen is looking for a reading? So no one shushes her kids?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 2:57 pm
Raisin wrote:
Nor do I, nor anyone else who would prefer a quiet adult reading.

I think every reading is a noisy reading. Kids are all ovr shuls, etc.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 3:24 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Raisin wrote:
Nor do I, nor anyone else who would prefer a quiet adult reading.

I think every reading is a noisy reading. Kids are all ovr shuls, etc.

Not at all. In our community people only bring children old enough to behave, and they are taught the importance of being quiet. I usually go to a women's reading with several hundred women and girls (including little girls of maybe 5 or 6 and upwards) and everyone sits and listens quietly.

Ditto for dh who goes to a shul with loads of children.

GAMZu

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 4:55 pm
GR, shkoyach for this great undertaking! What a wonderful chessed for the community. You are sooo

gryp

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 9:21 pm
LOL, Gamzu. I just know what it's like to be stuck, I would hate for anyone to be in that position if I could help out.

Also, B'rov Am is important too.

YALT

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 3:27 am
hooray!
We found a megilla! So my friend's DH will be leining by my house!
But thanks GR for the invitatation.
Goodbye, 770!

Oh, and thanks everyone for this thread, I actually went and checked into the halacha, as I couldn't understand if it was just what I thought, or if it was halacha what I'd always believed, yet e/o here seems so against. So I checked it up. I was wrong. For all those still questioning, the halacha does say that children only need to hear for chinuch reasons! Which means my 2 kids are still young enough, that they don't have to hear!
Although, being that I will be having it in my house, I will allow my children, as well as the ba'al korei's to stay in the room. As she does feel the same as me.

gryp

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 9:44 am
Good for you, Yalt! Whatever makes this mitzvah easier to fulfill is well worth it.

Btw, of course halacha doesn't say children have to hear every word. They can't even follow along to make sure they hear it all. All I said was that my kids have been waiting for Purim for so long and to use their graggers, no way am I sticking them in a different room while megillah is going on in my own house. They'll be there to hear whatever they hear and have the chance to use their graggers, and they'll be quiet. All I have to do to get them to be quiet, LOL, is invite some people over. Smile

YALT

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 2:04 pm
Oh, GR, I agree with you!
I was saying it about myself. I know kids can't follow along, so they won't necc. hear every word. ButI thought they need to be present to hear, whatever they do. Atleast their neshamos hear. But I just found out that I was wrong, and I'm learning to admit when I'm wrong (so that in other cases I can pin the blame on others, lol!)
Well, I don't want to take it away from you, but if you find you're getting too many guests, and you want to send some this way, I don't mind.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics