Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
If you were careful did you still get covid?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

If you were careful did you still get covid?
Yes, I was very careful and still got covid  
 12%  [ 21 ]
I was my mostly careful and got covid  
 17%  [ 30 ]
I was very careful and avoided covid  
 32%  [ 55 ]
I was mostly careful and avoided covid  
 31%  [ 53 ]
I was careful, not sure if I had covid  
 2%  [ 5 ]
I was careful, other  
 1%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 167

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:56 am
We followed all local laws (although if we were walking outdoors with nobody else within 50m or so, we pulled down our masks). Sent the kids to school (with masks and SD) when they were not shuttered, had no indoor guests until recently (vaccinated/recovered/recently tested negative guests only), etc etc etc. Our shul had outdoor minyanim only until recently, and now they work on a green pass system.

The rules here (Israel) were pretty strict, so I'd say by following them we were careful.

B"H, nobody in our family got covid, and B"H, everyone 16 and up is vaccinated. It helped that most of the other people in our community are like-minded about being cautious, so there wasn't a lot of covid in our community.

We still have little kids, so we still follow precautions about visitors, etc.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:34 am
We were extremely careful in the beginning. Meaning we didnt even let our daughter play with friends in the beginning.
Then we became a little bit less careful, letting her play with friends, my husband went back to work.
Thankfully nobody got covid. My husband and I are both fully vaccinated for almost 4 months already and as soon as they say kids under 16 can be vaccinated, we will be one of the firsts in line.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:39 am
I wasn't particularly careful. I wore a mask, because that was the law, but it was very rare that my nose was covered, and the mask was often on my chin. Used public transport almost every day, and at the beginning did a lot of shopping for friends. I visited people in their houses according to their level of comfort.

I never had any reason to suspect that I had Corona, and all my antibody tests came back negative. Now I'm vaccinated so I've stopped worrying.

ora_43

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 5:36 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
If people are only answering based on how careful they were personally, without accounting for how careful all the other members of their household were, then the answers don't tell us a lot about their likely covid exposure.

This.

I was very careful, but one big reason for that was the fact that I knew I was at a moderately high risk of getting it from dh, who is an essential worker exposed to many people each day.

Eventually he did get it, and so did I and the rest of the family.

BH there was zero spread from us to the rest of the community. So I do feel like the precautions I took were worth it. Smile

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 7:26 am
I had covid in March of 2020 when we didn't know what it is.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 8:36 am
I was careful, but still got it from my husband, who had to work.

ddmom

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 10:09 am
You're missing the option of "not careful and never got covid" or "wasn't careful and got covid"!!!
It would have been interesting to see results!

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 10:20 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Not careful at all. Never got covid. Vaccinated recently. My parents and in laws who were all very careful did get covid.

Similar. Not careful at all, never got covid and now I vaccinated.

My husband was moderately careful and got covid.
My in laws were very careful and got covid.
My parents were not careful and never got covid.
My siblings were not careful and got covid.

I am trying to see a pattern, but failing miserably!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 10:35 am
I was careful and so was dh, but we lived with my in laws who weren't careful and we all caught it Sad

Teomima

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 10:40 am
My entire family, immediate and extended, were all very careful and none of us got covid. B"h everyone who is old enough is now vaccinated.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 10:46 am
Teomima wrote:
My entire family, immediate and extended, were all very careful and none of us got covid. B"h everyone who is old enough is now vaccinated.

Samesies

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:01 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Similar. Not careful at all, never got covid and now I vaccinated.

My husband was moderately careful and got covid.
My in laws were very careful and got covid.
My parents were not careful and never got covid.
My siblings were not careful and got covid.

I am trying to see a pattern, but failing miserably!

There is no rhyme or reason.
I was exposed countless times to family members and co workers.
And B”H have not had covid.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:06 am
I was super cautious for the first few months but ended up getting it this year. I know so many people who were cautious and got it anyway, and I know many who never bothered being careful and never got it (as far as they’re aware).

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:53 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Masking works because my husband and kids were similarly careful and we did not get Covid and we did not spread Covid.

Please edit this to say, I believe masking worked this time in my family because we masked and did not get covid and did not spread it.
I have a good friend who was obsessively worried about covid. Shes a newly wed so it's only her and her husband home. They stayed home from March 2020 through October 2020, and when they went out, like to a grocery store, they double masked. She hasn't visited even her parents from March through October. She and her husband both got covid in October.
I was always a bit more iffy about a mask. I don't wear it at work, I wear it only for when I absolutely must wear it, and I bh haven't ever gotten covid.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 1:34 pm
Not careful at all. Was exposed multiple times and did not get covid

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:30 pm
My kids had Covid in my house in March. And we hadn’t distanced from our kids in March, because by the time we got the results back for one kids minor cough, it was over week later, and he hadn’t tested until a few days into the couch, so he was in the clear. We all thought covid was so scary that one cough an hour couldn’t possibly be it, but it was. Then we tested for antibodies and all the kids had, my husband and I did not! (Only one kid had a slight cough)

We were careful until Shavuos, and then as un careful as it was possible to be in Baltimore. Meaning, play dates and weddings in Lakewood in the summer, Shabbos meals, with likeminded people, kids went to backyard camps without any masks, etc. My husband and I still never got covid.

Interestingly my parents have lots of health issues and my father got covid this past fall, and my mother helped him through it, and she didn’t get it, which makes me wonder if there’s something in mine and my mom’s genes?

HakarasHatov

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:42 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
My kids had Covid in my house in March. And we hadn’t distanced from our kids in March, because by the time we got the results back for one kids minor cough, it was over week later, and he hadn’t tested until a few days into the couch, so he was in the clear. We all thought covid was so scary that one cough an hour couldn’t possibly be it, but it was. Then we tested for antibodies and all the kids had, my husband and I did not! (Only one kid had a slight cough)

We were careful until Shavuos, and then as un careful as it was possible to be in Baltimore. Meaning, play dates and weddings in Lakewood in the summer, Shabbos meals, with likeminded people, kids went to backyard camps without any masks, etc. My husband and I still never got covid.

Interestingly my parents have lots of health issues and my father got covid this past fall, and my mother helped him through it, and she didn’t get it, which makes me wonder if there’s something in mine and my mom’s genes?

Someone told me that supposedly certain blood types are “immune”

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 3:58 pm
As a family we have been extremely careful and thankfully haven't got Covid so far.

We're going to the wedding of a close family member next month though and I'm extremely worried about it because it is likely that people who have been less careful will be there.

ora_43

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 7:48 am
There are patterns. But they are patterns across the board, not rules for individuals.

Some people seem to have natural immunity, and don't get it even when exposed (possibly b/c of past exposure to a specific strain of cold virus? who knows).

Some people are vulnerable and can get it from a single exposure.

Overall, it's fair to say that there's a pattern where more exposure = higher likelihood of getting it. But that's an average that includes people who will virtually never get it and people who will get it very very easily.

Also, not all exposures are equal. Eg someone who has covid and is coughing vs has a fever and no coughing or sneezing; someone recently infected vs infected several days earlier. So if one person was directly exposed to 10 people with mild covid, no cough, and another person was in a store where 5 minutes earlier someone with covid was coughing up a storm - it makes sense if the second person is the one who gets sick.

Another thing to keep in mind is that being careful isn't cumulative. If someone literally stays home 100% of the time for 10 months, then goes to a wedding unmasked and gets sick, it would be silly to say "I was soooo careful but then I got it anyway." They were careful, then they stopped being careful and got it.

I wish that last part were so obvious it didn't need saying, but I have seen some people define "being careful" this way, so...

saw50st8

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 10:24 am
We were very careful. My husband and I work from home (I sometimes have to go in, but the company takes a lot of precautions, provides PPE and enforces masks/social distancing). My kids are in a school that has a comprehensive plan and largely enforces masks and uses plexiglass between children etc. My kids are generally careful.

We all got covid about a month ago. My kids picked it up from school.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics