Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
First time buying a front loader

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 11:36 pm
HELP!!! My trusty 18 year old machine has finally reached the end. It is a top loader, with am agitator, that uses tons of water of course!!! It cleans great. I love it ! But alas all good things must come to an end.

I am having mini panic attacks about trying to use the machines that I hear take forever, grow mold, break after a few years, and don't clean so we'll. Any words of hope?

Anyway

What kind of top loader for my household of 12 people including a leaky baby?

I can afford to get whatever I need but can't afford to waste my money.

How big do I need? One Frum place quoted me machines that were 4.8 and 5.2 cu ft.
The other quoted 4.5 and said those bigger sizes are the higher line.

Does that new venting thing really prevent mold or is it a gimic.

Steam, super charge, etc do these things really help get things cleaner?

I wash most things on cold delicate and line dry except white shirts, underclothes, towel s, shmattes. Do the cold cyclebclean?

Does the LG 15 minute cycle really clean. Is it a useful thing or a gimmick?

ETA please tell me your brand size and year to help me decide.

Thank you!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 11:47 pm
I use my cold cycle a lot and it really cleans.

When I bought my front loader I called my appliance repair guy for advice. He told me the brand that was the most reliable. Told me one brand parts take forever to order. Another one is more complicated to fix. Found I got most honest info from him.

A fan fresh or similar thing is a must. It keeps the clothing fresh by spinning until you empty. Otherwise it smells musty.

Towels take forever. I was told to use the longer towel mode only or the towels will smell musty.

I use the longest cycle for white shirts and they come out gorgeous. I use the steam only then. I have no clue if it makes a diff

HeartyAppetite

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 11:49 pm
I like my front loader a lot. It takes about 45-55 minutes a load depending how big the load Is. If you put too much soap it could take double the amount because it needs to rinse out the suds. So make sure not to put too much.
I Always keep the door open after a load and there is no mold. The 15 minute load I’ll do if I’m tight on time, or need to wash my babies blanket and she’s crying for it. I wouldn’t use it every time though.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 11:55 pm
Thank you for the feedback. How big are your machines and what do you recommend for a large family?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 11:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for the feedback. How big are your machines and what do you recommend for a large family?

We are 8 ppl. I have a whirlpool and am very happy. Don’t know size. It holds a lot more then my top loader did.
It is a pain to load. Either get risers. Or if you are uncomfortable sitting on the floor keep a folding chair there.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 11:58 pm
My son realized he had no shirts 1/2 hr before Shabbos. My shortest load is 28 min wash and dry. I used it on a grungy white shirt and was shocked it came out pretty clean. The dirt was fresh. But the shirt was still too wet to wear Friday night.

happy12

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:05 am
Maytag frontloader and whirlpool frontloader.
I use the quick cycle 25 minutes on cold all the time. Use hot water for shirts. My whirlpool has a pre soak option and fan fresh which I love. Maytag is an old machine but still good

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:12 pm
Any advice on size for a family of 12?

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Any advice on size for a family of 12?

We are a family of 11 kah almost 12. Lg has a model that I'm very happy with. If came out 2 summers ago. It's bigger than the biggest whirlpool. I have a connection for 2 machines but I really don't need it. It fits a ton of laundry at once. I had the whirlpool till then. I'm so much happier with my LG. Washes better, drains the water a million times better. Quicker speed cycle. Even the dryer dries faster.
Eta: I bought the LG based on a phone call I made to 2 different repair men. On in boro park one in Monsey. They both told me that the going machines are Maytag, LG, whirlpool, and Electrolux. I asked them both which one they would get and they both told me LG because it has the least amount of repairs.

gyf45

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:58 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I use my cold cycle a lot and it really cleans.

When I bought my front loader I called my appliance repair guy for advice. He told me the brand that was the most reliable. Told me one brand parts take forever to order. Another one is more complicated to fix. Found I got most honest info from him.

A fan fresh or similar thing is a must. It keeps the clothing fresh by spinning until you empty. Otherwise it smells musty.

Towels take forever. I was told to use the longer towel mode only or the towels will smell musty.

I use the longest cycle for white shirts and they come out gorgeous. I use the steam only then. I have no clue if it makes a diff

Mind sharing what brands? I’m in the market for a new washer and dryer and confused which to pick between whirlpool, LG and other ppl say maytag

questionanswer

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 11:20 pm
Please chime in with your washer size and if your happy (and size of household!).

One appliance place recommended the bigger size and one said smaller is fine. Most of my friends are hanging onto their old machines do aren't much help!

4pom

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 11:40 pm
I can’t advise re size but I will say I regret my front loader due to mold issues. I had the gasket (plastic/ rubber) replaced and I follow the instructions to leave the door open... dry the drawer etc. And it still gives me problems.

I don’t know why machines in the US are like this. Check online the issue is widespread. In Europe we grew up with front loaders and never had this problem. I would be wary of front loaders in the USA. Check it out.
ETA. machine is around 8 yrs old so perhaps they have done better with newer machines.

momofboys

Post Fri, Apr 30 2021, 1:03 am
I recently bought a LG front loader..I'm very happy ,has large capacity
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry