Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Best thing your parents did
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:35 pm
My parents, especially my father, taught me the importance of investing and saving money.

He put away money for each of his children in a mutual fund when we were young (like 3, 4 yo). Then, when we were 20, we had over 20K.

He taught me to save money in retirement accounts, not to spend it all on clothing and whimsy. B"H to this day I'm a good saver and investor. I put away money for my kids too, and I feel so much better knowing I put $100 into their stock accounts rather than buying them a $100 pair of stylish shoes that will get dirty on day 1.

My grandparents taught me so much, too.

They were all Holocaust survivors but none were bitter at all. They were spirited and intelligent and so loving. I don't know where they got the strength to go on and thrive, but BH they did.

I learned from my grandparents to work hard, not complain, and thank Hashem for everything. My parents, especially my mom, taught me this as well.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:50 pm
My mother divorced my father which was the best thing for us. We grew up in a fun, healthy home with lots of laughter.
Our home was open to all of our friends, no one had to tiptoe around my emotionally abusive father. My friends used to come schmooze with my mother all the time. Everyone felt safe in our home.

She taught me by example to have a career before I got married so that I would never be financially dependent on a man.

I learned all the right qualities to look for when dating and what to stay away from.

She enjoyed spending time with each of her children individually and really getting to know us. I always make time for that as well and really focus on enjoying the time I spend with my kids.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:52 pm
Love me

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:15 am
My mom instilled in us emuna & bitachon. Whatever Hashem does is for the best. This carried me through my challenges later in life too.
We knew she is our rock & put us, children first.
She made us achieve our best. Not self pity.
She was selfless with open house for guests.
Taught us to be happy with what we have.

Ftr she was raising us as single mom, for many years
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics