Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Why is earliest mikvah appt so late? šŸ˜¢
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:24 pm
keym wrote:
And what would you do if 10000 families moved into Williamsburg enmasse in 2 years. And another 10000 families moved into the nearby city that has no mikvah.
Would you still be able to keep up smoothly?

Then a new mikvah would be built. What's happening in Lakewood would never happen in Williamsburg.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:27 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Then a new mikvah would be built. What's happening in Lakewood would never happen in Williamsburg.

Exactly
Iā€™m not satmar but I live here and Satmar Williamsburg shtells tzee like no one else does.

keym

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:39 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Exactly
Iā€™m not satmar but I live here and Satmar Williamsburg shtells tzee like no one else does.

Satmar is a moised that has money and collects from supporters and chassidim.
I got married and moved to Lakewood 18 years ago. BMG asked us to donate$500 to the mikvah- they had just finished the Madison Ave expansion.
My siblings who got married 7-10 years ago were asked to each pay $750 for the New Hampshire building by BMG.
My siblings who got married 2-5 years ago were asked to give $800 to pay for the New Hampshire Phase 2. By BMG.

People are swarming into Lakewood and it's surrounding cities. They make it quite clear that they have nothing to do with BMG, don't want BMG involvement, yet expect the mikvah to expand at their pace.
How many newcomers have given a $500/$1000 donation to the Mikvah?

It's frustrating for those of us living here to be told how bad we are. How unwelcoming and inhospitable we are.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:50 pm
keym wrote:
It's frustrating for those of us living here to be told how bad we are. How unwelcoming and inhospitable we are.

Whoā€™s ā€œweā€? I paid 500 for the mikva and I didnā€™t get married that long ago, so I donā€™t know if your dates are wrong. But I remember feeling irritated that I was expected to pay in to a mikva that I disliked and that I had to use their mikva because they were preventing others from being built. Now families are moving to town instead of newlyweds and they canā€™t just pressure the chasan in yeshiva to give $$, ok maybe they should have thought this through before creating a monopoly over mikva. This isnā€™t my problem or your problem, itā€™s the problem of those that thought it was a good idea to funnel everyone in Lakewood to the same mikva and fund it by coercing chasanim for chasunah money. Itā€™s not sustainable anymore and they should have seen this coming.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 2:01 pm
keym wrote:
Satmar is a moised that has money and collects from supporters and chassidim.
I got married and moved to Lakewood 18 years ago. BMG asked us to donate$500 to the mikvah- they had just finished the Madison Ave expansion.
My siblings who got married 7-10 years ago were asked to each pay $750 for the New Hampshire building by BMG.
My siblings who got married 2-5 years ago were asked to give $800 to pay for the New Hampshire Phase 2. By BMG.

People are swarming into Lakewood and it's surrounding cities. They make it quite clear that they have nothing to do with BMG, don't want BMG involvement, yet expect the mikvah to expand at their pace.
How many newcomers have given a $500/$1000 donation to the Mikvah?

If there's politics involved in preventing of building new mikvahs, it has nothing to do with how many families are moving to Lakewood.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 2:05 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Exactly

Re Dahill Mikva in BP.

I belong to the kehillah and had to (asked to) pay $1800. Yes it was maaser but it was an enormous amount for us to come up with. We did it because our dayan asked for it. (They made a nice event for the young guys) At that point I had a hard time with it. I was really freshly married. Now, married over 5 years, I am very happy I gave that amount!! I love the calm atmosphere at the mikva that did not exist in the other local ones.

Can't see how Lakewood can have families moving in to pay tho.. Especially if they have nothing with BMG. When you have respect for the person behind the movement, you work really hard to dig up the funds... Don't see that happening for new exodus to Lakewood/Toms River/Jackson etc.

keym

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 2:07 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
If there's politics involved in preventing of building new mikvahs, it has nothing to do with how many families are moving to Lakewood.

Is there politics in building new mikvahs?
I'm not sure there is, necessarily.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 2:24 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

We will never know. Bec Williamsburg doesnā€™t have 1000s of young couples moving yearly not associated with any kehilla or Yeshiva or group.

Most cities would never be able to deal with it. (Monsey has had similar growth but they were already an established community)

At least 10 years ago I remember a MO poster on hear being astounded then that ppl were moving to a city with small and struggling school and mikvah infrastructure and complaining it isnā€™t supporting them
The problem has only gotten worse.
And ppl just keep complaining.

So far no one has said how the vaad prevent mikvah from being built.
Or what is their connection to the mikvah?
Which vaad is this?

I think ppl are just happy I move to a city with an infrastructure and then complain bitterly that it isnā€™t good enough for them.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 2:29 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Re Dahill Mikva in BP.

I belong to the kehillah and had to (asked to) pay $1800. Yes it was maaser but it was an enormous amount for us to come up with. We did it because our dayan asked for it. (They made a nice event for the young guys) At that point I had a hard time with it. I was really freshly married. Now, married over 5 years, I am very happy I gave that amount!! I love the calm atmosphere at the mikva that did not exist in the other local ones.

Can't see how Lakewood can have families moving in to pay tho.. Especially if they have nothing with BMG. When you have respect for the person behind the movement, you work really hard to dig up the funds... Don't see that happening for new exodus to Lakewood/Toms River/Jackson etc.

I donā€™t think people wouldnā€™t donate if they were asked to. Especially if itā€™s towards a new nice mikva. A mikva is usually important enough to donate to that people do so if asked even if they arenā€™t part of the community but are benefiting from it.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 2:45 pm
As a long time Lakewood resident I just wanted to comment that I think some posts on this thread may give off a more negative vibe about our Mikvah system. In my experience, the mikvah system is extraordinarily efficient and well run and yet still manages to have have the most incredible human warmth. As others have said- even if the system books you for a late time- which I think is inevitable during the summer months- you can always call and see if you can come earlier. The women behind the front desk are always kind, as are the mikvah attendants. Last time I went I somehow didn't have an appointment or money (the last straw in that kind of day) and the woman behind the desk that night quickly booked me and told me I could pay next time. It wasn't just that she did it- it was also the reassurance and kindness in her voice. The New Hampshire mikvah is breathtakingly beautiful- its clear that no expense was spared to make it a truly pleasant spa-like experience. Madison Avenue is being renovated and I have no doubt will be equally beautiful. Honestly, I'm grateful to the people behind the mikvah for all their efforts to make it so pleasant- even if summer nights can get a bit late.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 2:58 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

But 2 new mikva buildings were recently built! Now there are 3 large ones and a bunch of smaller ones.
I think the problem is that so many people keep moving to Lakewood. People who are moving here are not exactly bringing their old mikvaos with them! What should lakewood do if it has become the hotspot in the frum world? I think instead of people being warned not to move unless they have a school for their children they should be warned that Mikva appointments might be at 11:30 Pm .

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 4:01 pm
Update: I got an appointment at 840 in West Deal mikvah. Thanks everyone for your help.

Usually, this wouldn't be such an issue to go late.
It is just terrible timing for me because I just started work this week, and I am absolutely dead exhausted from being up with baby and no possibility of a nap during the day.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 6:09 pm
I had an appointment last week at 10:45. I took a chance and went at 9:45 and they let me in no problem. This wasn't the first time I went earlier than my appointment. It's usually not a problem

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 7:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Update: I got an appointment at 840 in West Deal mikvah. Thanks everyone for your help.

Usually, this wouldn't be such an issue to go late.
It is just terrible timing for me because I just started work this week, and I am absolutely dead exhausted from being up with baby and no possibility of a nap during the day.

You should call madison/new hampshire/westgate Mikvah the night of. They all have front desk numbers to reach a live person. Tell them youā€™re all ready, can you come earlier to dip? I always did that and never had an issue. Married close to 10 years with secondary infertility so am very experienced with going to the Mikvah.....
They have always been so nice, friendly and warm

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 7:18 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
You should call madison/new hampshire/westgate Mikvah the night of. They all have front desk numbers to reach a live person. Tell them youā€™re all ready, can you come earlier to dip? I always did that and never had an issue. Married close to 10 years with secondary infertility so am very experienced with going to the Mikvah.....
They have always been so nice, friendly and warm

How do you reach the New Hampshire Mikvah directly? I thought it was one central number at night.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 7:20 pm
Iā€™ve called when I prepped at home and was ready to go and even though it was too early for my appointment, the woman said I should come. Once I think it was right before a yomtov and they were exceptionally busy they told me to wait 30 minutes.
The thing I really didnā€™t like was going to the Mikva in boro Park when I was a kallah. I was so uncomfortable when I saw the waiting room was full of ladies. I didnā€™t have to wait because I had a kallah appointment but I was so worried thatā€™s what going to the Mikva would be like. BH in Lakewood thereā€™s no waiting once you arrive. Iā€™m here for almost 17 years and only had to go into the waiting room once!

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 9:00 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
How do you reach the New Hampshire Mikvah directly? I thought it was one central number at night.

I donā€™t remember how I reached them, I see I only have Madisonā€™s number saved in my phone. Maybe itā€™s on the recorded line?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 11:56 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:

I donā€™t know if anything is different now but a few months ago when I called the mikva one night and spoke with the woman who answered at Madison, she said there were no phone lines at New Hampshire. I had called because I wanted to go earlier than my appointment time and she said it was so busy, I should wait. I asked if I could go to New Hampshire and she said she had no way of reaching them, no phones there.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 12:05 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I donā€™t know if anything is different now but a few months ago when I called the mikva one night and spoke with the woman who answered at Madison, she said there were no phone lines at New Hampshire. I had called because I wanted to go earlier than my appointment time and she said it was so busy, I should wait. I asked if I could go to New Hampshire and she said she had no way of reaching them, no phones there.

The number to New Hampshire is 732-370-8909

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 2:49 am
Is there any way to speak to someone at the Madison mikvah? The earliest time they have available on their system is 12am, I canā€™t go to NH or other mikvahs cause theyā€™re too far and canā€™t prep at home. I think if Iā€™d explain my circumstances (complex) theyā€™d allow me a bath appointment at a normal time but donā€™t know how to get thru. This is causing me so much aggravation, thatā€™s why I canā€™t sleep and am up in middle of the night stressing. Not ok. and I spent 2 hours on the phone trying to get the earliest appointment possible...
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries