Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Balsamic Roasted Mushrooms and Corn

Amarante

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 4:16 pm
This was very good. I usually saute mushrooms with onions with a bit of sherry but this combination of the mushrooms and corn went together really well and the flavorings elevated it. And it's nice to do a sheet pan instead of watching something on the stove.

Balsamic Roasted Mushrooms and Corn

Excerpt From: Leah Koenig - Modern Jewish Cooking: Recipes & Customs for Today's Kitchen

Balsamic vinegar and cremini mushrooms complement each other so well, they might just be the new peas and carrots. Once, when I brought these to a Shabbat potluck dinner, a friend grabbed me by the arm and asked, “What did you do to those mushrooms?” For a quick second I feared I had done something horribly wrong, but then I noticed her scooping a second helping onto her plate. Earthy and deeply flavored, with a hint of sweetness from the honey and roasted red onions, this dish makes a great side for steak, chicken, or tofu. Wrapped in a warm tortilla and topped with a little grated cheese, fresh baby spinach, and sliced avocado, it also doubles as a simple and filling vegetarian main.

SERVES 4 TO 6

1/3 CUP/80 ML BALSAMIC VINEGAR
1/3 CUP/80 ML SOY SAUCE OR TAMARI
1/3 CUP/80 ML EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
2 TBSP HONEY
4 GARLIC CLOVES, MINCED OR PUSHED THROUGH A PRESS
1/4 TSP CAYENNE PEPPER
11/2 LB/680 G CREMINI MUSHROOMS, STEMMED AND HALVED OR QUARTERED (IF LARGE)
2 SMALL RED ONIONS, HALVED THROUGH THE ROOT AND CUT INTO 1/4-IN/6-MM SLICES
2 EARS SWEET CORN, KERNELS REMOVED, OR 11/4 CUPS/205 G THAWED FROZEN CORN KERNELS
FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
2 TBSP ROUGHLY CHOPPED FRESH MINT OR FLAT-LEAF PARSLEY

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C and line two large rimmed baking sheets with aluminum foil.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, soy sauce, olive oil, honey, garlic, and cayenne.

3. Divide the mushrooms, onions, and corn evenly between the prepared baking sheets. Drizzle each vegetable mixture with half of the vinegar mixture and gently toss with tongs to coat. Season with pepper. Roast, stirring once, until soft and tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the vegetables to a serving platter or bowl; pour over 1 to 2 Tbsp of the cooking liquid and discard the rest. While still warm, toss with the mint and serve.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes