Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Dunno why but this seems inappropriate to me...
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:50 pm
Is it appropriate for grown members of the chosson's family to be fully bedecked in stark white gowns at the wedding? We're talking about the little girls right up to the teenagers and most of the married women...dunno why it irks me. thoughts?

blessedflower

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:53 pm
I don't like it

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:54 pm
I’m not for it either.
Hopefully the Kallah doesn’t mind. Some don’t mind...

amother
Blush

It doesn’t bother me and I see nothing wrong with it.

Lovable

amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it appropriate for grown members of the chosson's family to be fully bedecked in stark white gowns at the wedding? We're talking about the little girls right up to the teenagers and most of the married women...dunno why it irks me. thoughts?

Huh? To each their own. If you dont think its appropriate, dont do it. Nothing wrong with white imo

Last edited by Lovable on Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:55 pm
Trying to understand why...is it because the kallah should be standing out as much as possible? if so then why isnt it considered such a faux passe if its the bridal side is in white?

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:55 pm
Where is zaq?

Wearing white to a wedding is inappropriate unless the kallah specifically wants a snowball wedding.

Goody2shoes

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:56 pm
the color takes some getting used to but otherwise its fine and even pretty

hodeez

Doesn't matter what anyone but the kallah thinks. If she's ok with it, it's ok.

amother
Blush

Rutabaga wrote:
Where is zaq?

Wearing white to a wedding is inappropriate unless the kallah specifically wants a snowball wedding.

I guess this depends on the community. In our community it's a non issue.
If you look at the non jewish websites, most flower girls gowns are white.

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:57 pm
In general, it is a big faux pas to wear white or ivory to someone else's wedding.

However, sometimes the kallah herself actually chooses/suggests/approves that color. If so, then cool, that's her aesthetic vision or she genuinely doesn't care about being the only one in white. I don't know what happened in this situation, if she wanted it or they did it without "permission." However I would personally avoid it altogether - otherwise others may not realize the kallah OK'ed it, and then it leads to wondering such as this post.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:57 pm
It's been inappropriate for as long as I can remember - but apparently it's very trendy all of a sudden.

Ms. Manners does not approve. Mad

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:58 pm
If the kallah gives her ok, then its ok but I agree it is inappropriate. Only one women should be in an all white gown and thats the bride.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:58 pm
If it's not your wedding, don't wear a white gown.
That being said, if it already happened then I wouldn't say anything.

English3

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:59 pm
My sil mother wore a white fitted dress with no design on it it looked like a white nighty

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 2:02 pm
Lovable wrote:
Huh? To each their own. If you dont think its appropriate, dont do it. Nothing wrong with white imo

I dont think its appropriate but the train has left the station so to speak...In this situation now...first it was just the little girls custom designed and forced upon all Can't Believe It
then the teenagers cuz otherwise they'll gasp clash with the little ones. I found for myself a nice summery color gown (not white!) and gave a deposit..in the interim, some my sis inlaws settled on white somehow and the others, while they didnt settle yet are leaning towards white. One even went so far as to say that technically I could still change my gown and choose something that will fit their color scheme somehow. whatever. thanks for letting me vent Wink

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 2:05 pm
I love white or ivory gowns for siblings of choson or kallah but I’d add a black or pink belt or something. Also I like it for girls and teens not so much for the marrieds. Looks silly to me a bewigged lady in a white gown not at her own wedding. But that’s just my taste since you asked. To each their own.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 2:06 pm
Ooooo I love it!

4g01o

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 2:07 pm
I don't like it for older girls and women. Under age10 maybe.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 2:09 pm
Is it some sort of cultural tradition?

I attended a wedding once of another culture (not Jewish) where one of the customs was to dress a few little girls up as impostor brides in miniature versions of the bride's dress and they even wore similar looking jewelry. I forget what the story behind it was.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics