Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What helps you not rush your kids?

thegiver

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 12:43 pm
For instance my daughter needed help with her zipper and the carpool lady is looking at me like I can't believe you just stopped in that spot so I said you'll be fine...just go..

Meanwhile my son is asking me to check his face for toothpaste when lineup is about to take place...I can see as he's walking away that I'm pushing him away all jittered and rushed!

Kids are talking and teasing nonstop when they had ample time to be early if not on time for morning lineup. I have to usher them through tasks they know how to do because they are moving slowly after schmoozing forever.

I realize the time they could be getting ready needs to be expanded perhaps to include some conversations and leeway but how to keep them on task if they get side tracked?

And how do you acquire more patience as a parent in general? Kids are under 10..

thegiver

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 12:45 pm
How often do you let morning routine tasks slide for sake of being on time?
Our routine is brush teeth wash face get dressed shoes coat wash dish pack lunch (don't hurt tomoatoes! Kids are capable of packing own lunches!) Dd walked out today with dirty uniform and hair unkempt and we had to go back home and get things straightened out.

hodeez

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 12:50 pm
So one thing that can be improved is preparing everything the night before. Make lunch and check uniforms for stains or wrinkles. Also my kids don't wash the dishes they just put whatever they dirtied into the sink and I do the dishes later.

I also have a rule in my house: if you can't talk and do a task simultaneously, save the shmuz for after. So if my kid can't put on his shoes while telling me about the plan for the day, I will tell him to focus on the shoes first and then he can talk my ear off.

imasinger

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 12:52 pm
Bribery can sometimes help.

"Everyone who is ready for ___ when the timer goes off gets ____."

sunflower_seed

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 4:52 pm
Plan to be ready earlier
Then you will be on time:)

Limit tasks to minimum

Skip things that can be skipped if already late

Help getting dressed/ready even if the kid can do it himself, explain it's an exception, and try to plan better to keep it an exception

yo'ma

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 8:25 am
hodeez wrote:
So one thing that can be improved is preparing everything the night before. Make lunch and check uniforms for stains or wrinkles. Also my kids don't wash the dishes they just put whatever they dirtied into the sink and I do the dishes later.

I also have a rule in my house: if you can't talk and do a task simultaneously, save the shmuz for after. So if my kid can't put on his shoes while telling me about the plan for the day, I will tell him to focus on the shoes first and then he can talk my ear off.

I also have a rule, first do what’s needed and if there’s time, do what’s wanted.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics