Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Please only answer if Yeshivish/chasidish
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:19 am
We’ve never gone on vacation without children. I’m thinking of going away to a scenic airbnb in the mountains (with my husband only)for a couple of days. Now for the halachic/hashkafic questions:
1. What’s the story with pools/tubs that are not secluded? Am I allowed to be seen in a bathing suit (or a bathing suit with a coverup) by neighbors, if I could assume they’re not Jewish?
2. What about a public/semi private beach (shared by a gated community etc)? Do I need to be fully clothed or are there any leniencies? (No socks etc)

Thanks a lot!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:21 am
I'm yeshivish. We would not do such a vacation.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:21 am
Everyone will have different opinons- either they asked a rabbi or not and they can’t answer for you and your hashkafos.
Ask your rabbi. Or don’t and do whatever you feel comfortable with.
The end.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:23 am
I'm yeshivish too.

For the hot tub, I would only go in wearing a tznius cover up/bathing suit-dress

And I don't think we would go to any beach where there are likely to be mostly naked women.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We’ve never gone on vacation without children. I’m thinking of going away to a scenic airbnb in the mountains (with my husband only)for a couple of days. Now for the halachic/hashkafic questions:
1. What’s the story with pools/tubs that are not secluded? Am I allowed to be seen in a bathing suit (or a bathing suit with a coverup) by neighbors, if I could assume they’re not Jewish?
2. What about a public/semi private beach (shared by a gated community etc)? Do I need to be fully clothed or are there any leniencies? (No socks etc)

Thanks a lot!

Obviously this all depends on your sensitivities:
1)I would only feel comfortable with a coverup, no matter if neighbors are jewish or not.
2) Socks are a big chilukei dayos, do you ever walk around without socks, open your front door for people etc? It all really depends on what you and DH feel comfortable with.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:27 am
Oh, if there are naked women at the beach, we obviously wouldn’t go...
And no, I don’t walk around without socks...

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:28 am
You would need to be covered up at all times. You can buy a modest swim dress or swim outfit.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:28 am
No, we would not go on such a vacation.

I would not be seen in swimwear around males, even if covered up. Wet material sticks to the skin.

What makes you assume that you're allowed to be seen in a bathing suit by non-Jewish men?

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:29 am
Please don't let anyone pasken for you. ask your rabbi or DH

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:32 am
Open minded Yeshivish here (smart phone with filter, long wig etc) I usually don’t wear socks or tights on vacation but would not feel at all comfortable with my husband seeing women in bikinis. Also I would wear shvimkleid if I thought the neighbors can see in - like in Orlando they have the nets around the pools then I wear a coverup

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:33 am
There are NO tzenuis leniencies when on vacation, even if people tend to think otherwise. Hashem is everywhere.
You may not be seen in a bathing suit by men regardless if they're jewish or not. I wear a modest swim dress when on vacation. I would not go into a hot tub with other men there, it's too small. Same for a crowded pool. I only go into the pool if it's basically empty. We do not go to a beach in the summer.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:34 am
I am neither yeshivish nor chassidish and I would never be seen in public not covered up properly.

Is it possible to find a property that is secluded so you have privacy?

hodeez

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:34 am
Why would you think nonJews can see you less than tznius...?

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:36 am
Yeshivish here.
Wouldn't do it.
It's not hard to find a place with a private pool if you're going to Florida.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:36 am
To clarify, I wouldn’t be in close view of any males, it’s just that the pool would not have a proper mechitza.. but nevermind, it’s probably not worth being lenient about ...
And I typically ask my husband to ask a rav these questions, he’s just so excited about the vacation, I was afraid he’d pasken himself!! (I’m booking the place and having a hard time finding a suitable house with a private pool)

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:38 am
I'm yeshivish. Dh and I would not do such a thing.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:39 am
And for the record, is it really as chumor to be seen less covered than usual by a non-Jewish male? I always thought it was not as chumor.... (not that I’ve ever done it..)

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
To clarify, I wouldn’t be in close view of any males, it’s just that the pool would not have a proper mechitza.. but nevermind, it’s probably not worth being lenient about ...
And I typically ask my husband to ask a rav these questions, he’s just so excited about the vacation, I was afraid he’d pasken himself!! (I’m booking the place and having a hard time finding a suitable house with a private pool)

If the pool is not totally private you need to be tzenuis. If the pool has a fence around, maybe it's worth to take along sheets or tarp with tie wraps so you should be able make your own mechitza.

hodeez

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And for the record, is it really as chumor to be seen less covered than usual by a non-Jewish male? I always thought it was not as chumor.... (not that I’ve ever done it..)

Of course you have to be tznius no matter what type of male, jewish or bangladeshi.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:40 am
Btw, there are many private homes in orlando that have private pools. You don't have to go to the one that is shared by other people.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions