Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Please only answer if Yeshivish/chasidish
Previous  1  2  3  4

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 3:47 pm
OP, when I went swimming in a pool on vacation, I wore a bathing suit, tznius cover up, and a bathing cap (to cover my hair, a tichel won't stay on when it get's wet. It was an indoor pool, not a beach, so there wasn't a problem with pritzus. I did not wear socks to the pool.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 4:22 pm
I think the olam is confusing two things.

Yes if there's a chance neighbors could see you, you should wear a swim dress.

(According to some, you could also go very early in the morning to a hotel pool with a swim dress but if any men come you'd want to quickly get out & put a robe over your swim dress. However others would say since you're in a wet dress etc it's a lack of tznius.)

SOCKS are according to minhag hamokom. So if it's normal to come out of the shower & head for your bedroom in a long robe but no socks, you may do so even if your son in law happens to be in the living room!

And similarly, if you're in (or at) a swimming pool it is normal not to wear socks. So I do not believe you are required to swim in tights in case the next door neighbor can see your yard & might not be able to tell if you're wearing tights or not.

(Now I once went to a frum hotel & there was a lady in the pool during ladies' hours in a swim dress and black tights, so obviously there are many opinions, but I digress.)
You are welcome to clarify this with a Rov.

Definitely not a public beach. My DH wouldn't even let me drive by the Falls last time we drove to Toronto. He said there are bound to be people walking around pritzusdik!

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 4:31 pm
OP, there is a yeshivish private forum. You can post there without the disclaimer:)

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 6:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And for the record, is it really as chumor to be seen less covered than usual by a non-Jewish male? I always thought it was not as chumor.... (not that I’ve ever done it..)

My husband asked his rabbi once in regards to vacation and he said in terms of hashkafa he wouldnt have his wife be less covered but halachically tznius is was less strict in front of a non jew (I dont remember exactly what has to be covered)

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 6:14 pm
wannabamom wrote:
why is it like that? if they are on vacation why cant we be even if we are -GASP- chasidish?

Probably because they think chasidim can’t POSSIBLY do fun things. ☹️

My sister thinks that way lol. When we went to Arizona I wanted to ride my bike in the empty park.

My sister was like “are you allowed to?”

🙄 YES🙄

She would certainly ask the same thing if my husband was to get on one of those 4 wheelers.

As with non chasidish Jews I think they think we live too “restricted” and there’s no way “our Rav would tell us to have fun because chasidim don’t have fun.”

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 6:23 pm
My goodness, the level of horror for asking a question! OP, I feel like I've heard the same as you. The logic being that it's not the women's obligation to be covered, it's the man's obligation not to see. If he's not Jewish, he doesn't have this obligation. If it was a woman's obligation to be covered, we wouldn't be able to take a shower naked!
But from the responses you're getting I guess I dreamed that too Very Happy

sari00

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 6:29 pm
I usually prefer private pool and full dressed at the beach ...

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 6:37 pm
No you can't expose your skin. It's not how it works. I only cover my leg between my ankle and knee in cities that do. So on vacation at the beach I would be barefoot but the rest of me is fully covered.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 7:53 pm
Op I’m yeshivish-ish and if it was extremely unlikely to see other frum Jews, would wear a swim skirt covering until my knees, and loose short sleeves coming till my elbows. No socks. I’d show a tefach of hair. This is not at all how I’d dress in front of other Jews, but at a pool or beach, I’d go with more lenient standards. (Note it’s likely the standard above is ok halachically, I just choose to be machmir/ go with stricter opinions in my regular life.)

Librarian

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 9:54 pm
I'm not chasidish or yeshivish, just middle of the road frum lady. I would never go in public not covering elbows, knees, neckline, hair or not wearing socks. I've been to many beautiful beaches and even did snorkeling in Hawaii, Mexico and Costa Rica and have thoroughly enjoyed dressed tzniusdikly in my swim clothes. I am sorry, but I don't understand why there would be a difference in your standards depending where you are.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions