Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Any affordable frum communities in Israel?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 7:58 pm
We are always dreaming about making aliya but we are held back by our lack of funds.
Is there any affordable frum community? And I really mean affordable, not "affordable" compared to NYC or similar places.
It should also have good job options nearby that are easy to reach with public transport as we do not drive.

We are a couple with a child in our late 30s/early 40s. Husband is a computer scientist, I have some liberal arts degree that is worthless there but also worked as secretary. We are middle of the road Yeshivish, no TV in the home but we value science and secular education. We are a BT husband and a convert wife from an European background, so the place should be convert friendly (also re schooling, it should not be a hard place to find a good school for the child of a ehrliche frum BT and convert). Husband is fluent in Hebrew, I understand basic Hebrew but am willing to learn.
We would be okay with a mixed secular and religious place as long as the religious community is strong and visible and there is access to kosher restaurants/takeouts (yes, that matters to us).

Someone suggested RBS Gimmel to us, but I think it is quite expensive, still. We would not want to live in the Shtachim or some yishuv. But some clean and nice place that is also affordable. Family houses with gardens would be a plus, but are not a dealbreaker if not. Does that place even exist?

Happy for any leads.

Reality

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 8:12 pm
Karmiel?

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 9:04 pm
Why are you opposed to "the Shtachim or some yishuv"? That is where you will get more bang for your buck so to speak. Maybe there is an area commutable to Beer Sheva which would fit?

YB27

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 9:51 pm
My husband is also a BT and I am a convert in the same boat as you are regarding funds. We have a 2 year old and we’re hoping to make aliyah before she starts school. Right now we are looking into Tzfat or Karmiel as rentals are not too expensive and we’re working to find remote jobs.

Last edited by YB27 on Wed, May 05 2021, 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rising

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 9:54 pm
Afula?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:29 pm
Hopefully the Israeli Imas will be waking up soon and chime in.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 12:21 am
Do you need an Anglo community? If it's important to you to have Anglo friends and an Anglo rav, etc, then I think Rehovot is your best bet. Accepting, open frum community, good public transportation, etc. It's not the cheapest option though, so I'm not sure whether it would be in your budget. Just go on yad2.co.il and look at rentals to get an idea of whether it could work for you.

If you wouldn't mind being the only Anglos in your community, that opens up a lot more...

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 12:33 am
Givat zev?
I’m not from Israel but I know some Americans who live there
Prices probably went up though...

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 12:40 am
An affordable house with a garden is going to be at odds with a place near good public transportation and excellent employment options.

I second the idea of searching in the greater Beer Sheva area for a combination of affordability + good job prospects. Something in Yesha might work if you can commute to Jerusalem. Or something near Ariel University?

You may need to prioritize your list of requirements. It will be difficult to find something that checks all those boxes.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 12:48 am
We hope you'll come! I think it helps to have a budget so we can give better advice. I don't know what you call affordable.

If you are working remotely, you'll have a lot more options than if you need to be near Tel Aviv.

Bear in mind that it's best to rent for at least a year before buying. And don't be quick to write off places over the green line. You get a lot more bang for your buck, and you're not going to be stuck in a trailer on some remote hilltop. (Unless you want to be, though it sounds like you don't.)

The last big question is where you want to position yourselves on religious/political spectrum. There's a big difference between charedi or chardal/Torani. It sounds from your post that you could belong to either one of these communities. Which you choose will make a big difference.

If your child is not school age, you can move wherever you like, but there's real comfort in having some people around who speak your language and understand your culture.

essie14

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 12:56 am
Affordable is a very subjective word.
If you give us an idea of your budget we can help. As someone said above, amenities make the prices go up. So anything with great public transportation is automatically going to be more expensive than a place with one bus a day.
More expensive areas have tons of take out food. A yishuv where you can have a nice garden will not have many food options.
You will have to prioritize your wish list and no place will check all the boxes. That being said, there are definitely areas where you can get most of the things on your wish list.
Mazal tov!

chanchy123

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 12:57 am
Just pointing out that if you’re husband works in computer science and speaks Hebrew, his job prospects are very good. He should be about to find a good position that pays nicely. I would focus on job hunting and find a permanent place to live after that falls into place.

LisaS

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 1:51 am
I would focus first on school/chinuch for your child. You will probably be able to compromise on apartment size more easily than on chinuch that you're happy with.
I second that being a computer scientist is a huge asset. Right now in Israel its an employee's market.

tree of life

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 1:54 am
Hi I'm a real estate agent in beit shemesh and surrounding areas budget for rent is variable
No one will say anything about being conveet or by etc I think aleph near rabbi Gerzi shul will be great pm I give you there numbers

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 1:55 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Givat zev?
I’m not from Israel but I know some Americans who live there
Prices probably went up though...

Prices are okay, but little is available. It also may be too chareidi for her.
Rentals may be available in the summer after Gavat Habanana opens up.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 3:14 am
OP here:

We are not dati leumi/torani. Chardal, not much either, because we do not have the strong political tzioni ideas connected with it (we are also not against them, either). That is why we would lack the prerequisites for the standard yishuv or shtachim.

I would say we are chareidi light, if that exists. We are black hat type yeshivish but my husband works and does only wear white shirt and hat on shabbos (but he may change that once in Israel) and I wear long earrings at times and read secular books (mainly science).
We are not Anglo, but European (not Russian). We fare well in Anglo communities, though and have been learning in Anglo sems and yeshivot, so I do not see us in a Sabra Sephardic Israeli place but more in an Anglo environment.

Our budget would of course depend on how much someone could make with a programmers salary and possibly only one reliable income. We can not afford to buy. We would have to rent.
Maybe a wild guess, around 4000 shek a month maximum in rent is what we could do. We have a toddler and likely no more kids, so a 2 bedroom would be fine. A balcony/porch is non negotiable for succahs sake, anything else can be compromised on.

LisaS

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 3:23 am
It sounds like your budget is doable and you can choose a community you like and not be limited by finances.

When you are closer to coming, feel free to PM me and dh and I would be happy to connect with your husband on LinkedIn regarding jobs.

israelmama

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 3:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here:

We are not dati leumi/torani. Chardal, not much either, because we do not have the strong political tzioni ideas connected with it (we are also not against them, either). That is why we would lack the prerequisites for the standard yishuv or shtachim.

I would say we are chareidi light, if that exists. We are black hat type yeshivish but my husband works and does only wear white shirt and hat on shabbos (but he may change that once in Israel) and I wear long earrings at times and read secular books (mainly science).
We are not Anglo, but European (not Russian). We fare well in Anglo communities, though and have been learning in Anglo sems and yeshivot, so I do not see us in a Sabra Sephardic Israeli place but more in an Anglo environment.

Our budget would of course depend on how much someone could make with a programmers salary and possibly only one reliable income. We can not afford to buy. We would have to rent.
Maybe a wild guess, around 4000 shek a month maximum in rent is what we could do. We have a toddler and likely no more kids, so a 2 bedroom would be fine. A balcony/porch is non negotiable for succahs sake, anything else can be compromised on.

It sounds like Gimmel 1 may be a good option. if you want a 2 bedroom its around 3400 a month- you can find a 3 bedroom for 4000. It's a nice community- more Israeli and younger than aleph. However, there are a nice amount of American-Israeli and Americans. Many people are similar to how you describe yourself.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 3:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here:

Ok, good you know where you want to be. Your idea of who lives in the shtachim is a stereotype.

For example, Beitar and Kiryat Sefer, both large charedi towns, are over the green line. I don't know about real estate prices, but both have Anglo communities. Kiryat Sefer adjoins Modiin, and Beitar has great transportation to Jerusalem, not too far away.

Beit Shemesh has a lot of what you want as well, and is not over the green line.

salt

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 3:27 am
Kiryat sefer / Modiin Ilit.
Beitar.
Officially over the green line, but not dati-leumi yishuvim.

I've heard on imamother about the Anglo charedi community in Rechovot, but I don't know anything about it.

Ashdod.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions