Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
HELP!!! Diabetes …. UPDATE
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:18 pm
Dh was just diagnosed with diabetes. He needs to watch cholesterol too.

Can anyone help with meal ideas?? He prefers fast food so I don’t know where to begin!!!! I cook most nights but he still buys. I need to come up with tastier food readily available so he likes it and is satisfied.

I know veggies have sugar too so I’m completely stumped.

dankbar

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 4:48 am
He should mainly eat protein & veg. Limit the carbs. Healthy fat is fine. Avoid starchy veg.
Follow an Atkins style diet. Rabbi Meisels has a good diet specific to diabetes.

For dinners,
stir fries are good
Grilled chicken cutlet salad
Grilled steak
Grilled Burgers
Broiled bottoms
Eggs are good
Avocado
Fish
Peanut butter

Use almond flour instead of reg flour.

There are so many specific low carb products like yogurts/breads etc.

Good luck!

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 6:16 am
Can give a lot of advice on what to prep/serve etc but what is the dynamic between you? He has to want to change his lifestyle and buy in to the new food plan. Perhaps you can both see a nutritionist and make a plan that he will be content with. There's no point in you prepping all these healthy foods if he is going to go out and buy fast food.

thanks

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 7:32 am
Don't try to compete with fast food, because you won't win. He needs to decide he wants to be careful and eat healthy.
Is he buying food because he's on the road? He may need to learn what to buy. Most places have options that he can have. (grilled chicken, steamed veggies, whole wheatvwrap/bun, etc) Packing food is also a good idea. I buy disposable containers. Makes it more convenient.

dankbar

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 1:46 pm
Right for lunches skip the sandwiches or only do ww bread.
Rather do scoop of tuna, egg salad, red cheese salad, avocado salad, lox salad, whitefish salad etc With a lettuce Salad at side.

If he buys he can buy those plates
Or take a fish plate like baked/grilled salmon or tilapia with sides of grilled/steamed veg.

Also every restaurant has different low carb options, it's good to know which item to go for by each. For ex, soups, veg kugels etc.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 1:54 pm
I’m not competing with fast food just trying to explain what type of food he prefers. Yes he is committed. I don’t know what to make that is really filling and also how to keep it interesting AND family friendly. Yes he is on the road but less because of COVID.

Breakfast was Tuna and Israeli salad
Tonight’s supper is a zucchini soup and baked chicken with spices (though he’d prefer a sweet sauce) Israeli salad

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 2:00 pm
If you pm me your email I’ll send you the PDF that I base my life on.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 11:39 pm
dankbar wrote:
Rather do scoop of tuna, egg salad, red cheese salad, avocado salad, lox salad, whitefish salad etc With a lettuce Salad at side.

Or take a fish plate like baked/grilled salmon or tilapia with sides of grilled/steamed veg.

Also every restaurant has different low carb options, it's good to know which item to go for by each. For ex, soups, veg kugels etc.

What is red cheese salad

dankbar

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 12:54 am
Farmer cheese mixed with sour cream & paprika ( you can add other spices too or purple onions.)
Some pizza stores sell it at their salad bars.

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 9:36 pm
dankbar wrote:
He should mainly eat protein & veg. Limit the carbs. Healthy fat is fine. Avoid starchy veg.
Follow an Atkins style diet. Rabbi Meisels has a good diet specific to diabetes.

For dinners,
stir fries are good
Grilled chicken cutlet salad
Grilled steak
Grilled Burgers
Broiled bottoms
Eggs are good
Avocado
Fish
Peanut butter

Use almond flour instead of reg flour.

There are so many specific low carb products like yogurts/breads etc.

Good luck!

These suggestions are not good, sorry.
My husband was also just diagnosed with diabetes and has high cholesterol that he needs to watch.
So he cant have steak, or burgers or eggs only whites no cheese Peanut butter a drop..

Any other suggestions with no sugar and no cholesterol?

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 9:39 pm
Please see an RDN. Rather than getting advice from random internet ladies.
FYI Atkins can potentially cause kidney damage.

honeymoon

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 9:42 pm
amother [ Lightblue ] wrote:
These suggestions are not good, sorry.
My husband was also just diagnosed with diabetes and has high cholesterol that he needs to watch.
So he cant have steak, or burgers or eggs only whites no cheese Peanut butter a drop..

Any other suggestions with no sugar and no cholesterol?

Who is guiding you? Steak and eggs are great for diabetics. Egg whites without the yolk is not the best idea. Whoever is guiding you is still a few years behind with the research on cholesterol. Please find someone competent and open minded to help you. I'm sorry you're going through this. It's really difficult but there's lots of information out there. Be an informed consumer, for yours and dh's sake.

honeymoon

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 9:44 pm
dankbar wrote:

Whole wheat bread is just a tiny bit better for diabetics than white bread. Best is for them to be completely off bread etc. People with diabetes don't have so much leeway to play around with different kind of carbs.

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 9:52 pm
honeymoon wrote:
Who is guiding you? Steak and eggs are great for diabetics. Egg whites without the yolk is not the best idea. Whoever is guiding you is still a few years behind with the research on cholesterol. Please find someone competent and open minded to help you. I'm sorry you're going through this. It's really difficult but there's lots of information out there. Be an informed consumer, for yours and dh's sake.

My husband went to see a nutritionist, in a hospital thats who the dr. Referred him to.
He was told to cut out so much food. And tiny portions, its 3 days and hes still starving.
His A1c was so high..

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 10:03 pm
I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and completely reversed it in 3 months by going whole food plant based. Challenging in the beginning and now just looking for more recipes but this lifestyle(they don't call it a diet) can reverse diabetes and even cancer. Watch the documentary Eating You Alive to understand more about it. Basically no animal products (meat, dairy, eggs, fish), no oils, processed foods, or sugar. And if he needs to lose weight, remove nuts and avocado until he loses enough weight. I lost a good amount of weight so I started reintroducing avocadoes into my diet(still very little-like in sushi). My PCP said it's healthy and called this diet "perfection."
I'm feeling better and have way more energy BH. We started having salmon on Shabbos which is not part of it but seems to be ok for us for now. Will discuss with Dr when I go next.

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 10:24 pm
amother [ DarkKhaki ] wrote:
I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and completely reversed it in 3 months by going whole food plant based. Challenging in the beginning and now just looking for more recipes but this lifestyle(they don't call it a diet) can reverse diabetes and even cancer. Watch the documentary Eating You Alive to understand more about it. Basically no animal products (meat, dairy, eggs, fish), no oils, processed foods, or sugar. And if he needs to lose weight, remove nuts and avocado until he loses enough weight. I lost a good amount of weight so I started reintroducing avocadoes into my diet(still very little-like in sushi). My PCP said it's healthy and called this diet "perfection."
I'm feeling better and have way more energy BH. We started having salmon on Shabbos which is not part of it but seems to be ok for us for now. Will discuss with Dr when I go next.

Sounds interesting, I will look into it.
Can you post a weekly sample menu.
So I can get some ideas.
Thanks.

honeymoon

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 10:34 pm
amother [ Lightblue ] wrote:
My husband went to see a nutritionist, in a hospital thats who the dr. Referred him to.
He was told to cut out so much food. And tiny portions, its 3 days and hes still starving.
His A1c was so high..

I'm saying this out of concern. He needs a new nutritionist. Someone that is open to other research that's not coming only from the FDA and USDA. Their nutrition model is not ideal, but relatively harmless for a healthy person. For a diabetic it's poison. He should not have to be starved all the time. In fact, the ideal diet for a person with diabetes is very satiating. His a1c levels won't improve by cutting out fatty foods, but by drastically reducing his carb intake.

But don't take it from me, an anonymous women on the internet. There is a wealth of information out there. Educate yourself and find a doctor who is open to the latest research and is willing to view things from a broader, more open minded perspective.

honeymoon

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 10:37 pm
amother [ DarkKhaki ] wrote:

Interesting. For most people with diabetes, a diet high in healthy fats and moderate animal protein is recommended. I'm glad this worked for you though.

amother
Peru

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 10:41 pm
The high cholesterol is often secondary to insulin resistance, it’s the body’s protective response to inflammation. It seems counterintuitive but cutting carbs and upping fats, even animal fats, can lower cholesterol in the long run.

honeymoon

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 10:44 pm
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
The high cholesterol is often secondary to insulin resistance, it’s the body’s protective response to inflammation. It seems counterintuitive but cutting crabs and upping fats, even animal fats, can lower cholesterol in the long run.

yes yes yes
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics