Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Aliyah with high schooler

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 9:19 am
Thinking about aliyah in next few years. One child will be in high school.

What are the barriers of my child completes high school in line from American k-12 program?

And what high schools are available in Israel that cater to Americans?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 9:21 am
YTA in jerusalem cater to english speaking teens.
And I think if they dont learn in the israeli system they wont get a bagrut and thats a bit hard.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 9:37 am
Can they get a bagarut at YTA?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 9:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can they get a bagarut at YTA?
Yes, of course. It is a fully israeli accredited school. Just taught in english.

essie14

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 9:45 am
YTA is great.
You can also have your child start to learn Hebrew now and he/she may be able to finish HS in an Israeli school which is familiar with olim, like in RBS for example. I know several families who made aliyah with older children and the children went through the Israeli school system.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 9:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

What are the barriers of my child completes high school in line from American k-12 program?

We've all seen during the past year or so that on line learning is not always so easy. Do you think your child will be able to cope with it? You may find that in this case they prefer to stay with relatives in America and come here during the school breaks.

Assuming that they can cope, where are they going to get social interaction? You can sign them up for after school courses which might help them integrate with less pressure.

If your child does finish American school on line, what is the next step? They won't have bagruyot. If they want to continue to university here, they will need to be able to function in Hebrew. If they are going to the army, they will also need Hebrew.

Finishing school on line doesn't sound such an ideal option to me.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 4:30 pm
He will definitely have a good amount of formal modern Hebrew and yes it may be enough for him to get by, by the time he arrives. And then ulpan will help. He definitely wants to join the IDF. If there are schools catering to English speakers that would probably be best. Just thinking about potential options.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 4:37 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Yes, of course. It is a fully israeli accredited school. Just taught in english.

What's the tuition at YTA?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 8:27 pm
For fun, I checked out the tuition for the Jerusalem International Baccalaureate school. ☹️ Guess he won’t be going there. Jeez. I can’t really find English schools that are doable without American tuition prices. The NBN site isn’t too helpful.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 9:55 pm
Does Modiin have?

essie14

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 10:48 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
What's the tuition at YTA?

20k shekel a year

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 11:08 pm
You can also look at ohr Moshe in RBS.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 11:17 pm
essie14 wrote:
20k shekel a year

That's pretty good in dollars!

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 11:50 pm
I believe the Naale program is designed to help olim with a special program that starts off in English and gradually ramps up the % of Hebrew.

Also, olim get extra points on their bagruyot the more recently they have arrived in Israel (everywhere, not just at schools in the Naale program).

chanchy123

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 12:10 am
essie14 wrote:
20k shekel a year

Is it a dorm? Because that’s pretty standard for a DL dorm high school (a bit on the higher end but definitely some schools charge more).

essie14

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 12:14 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Is it a dorm? Because that’s pretty standard for a DL dorm high school (a bit on the higher end but definitely some schools charge more).

No dorm. it's a private school.
We would have paid at least $35k for a similar school in the states so it was a huge bargain!

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 12:36 am
If he's an independent learner -- you can get him a study book for the American GED, when he's ready have him fly back and take the GED.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 3:51 am
essie14 wrote:
20k shekel a year
Wow, the price went up. When I worked at YTA about 5 years ago it was a bit less.
But it is expensive for an israeli non dorming high school.
I do know, from working there, that they dont turn people away because of tuition. They always try to work things out with people, to make it work. That was at least true, again, about 5 years ago.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions