Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Contractors- how does it work?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 7:52 pm
When you're renovating or doing work on a house, apartment, how do you work out payment with a contractor? How much percent does a contractor charge up front if any for just the work (if you buy the materials?). Can you pay him at the end of the day or week? What's the largest amount of money you have paid a contractor up front for a job? I know different contactors will be different, but what was your experience?

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 7:57 pm
I never heard of buying materials for a contractor...

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 8:01 pm
If you’re trying to save money then hire the workers yourself. Don’t use a contractor. That’s if you’re looking to save time.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 8:49 pm
I did a very small job. He asked for half upfront and the balance when he finished. His charge included all labor and parts.

OneSource

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 8:08 am
So I'm knee deep in a reno right now. My contractor is approx. 90k total and the first payment was 26k, with 8k a week as progress payments. By the end of the job, it's a small final payment of a couple of grand. The cost doesn't include some materials, like new toilets or flooring, etc. My contractor is also putting in my new kitchen so all those materials are my problem. Our kitchen designer is ordering the cabinets and I got marble flooring shipped to the house, new appliances coming directly from the stores I bought, and marble counters from the quarry. Light fixtures, underlayment, etc. are things I need to get. Contractor will keep receipts for grout, paint, etc. and I will reimburse that cost. Not every contractor is the same though and I have worked with my many times in the past.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 8:17 am
Similar to previous poster.
Doing some small reno in my house. Work is approx. 32K. Paid him 6K up front, and approx. 4k per week until work is done. Will prob take 5-6 weeks. Rest of balance due when he's done. This week, he asked for 6k because he brought in extra workers and bought loads of materials.
His work includes everything except items I personally pick out, like bathroom things (toilet, towel holder), tiles, etc. Flooring, light fixtures (except spots and basement lights), paint except white, windows (Except he just told me he needs to get more speciatly windows for a certain part of the house, so I pay the difference).
Make sure you come up with an extremely detailed contract that you say everything you want him to do, and both sign it.
Make sure you sign off every single time you give him money.

good luck!

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 8:44 am
Also we made sure everything was finished and no 'snags' before we gave that final payment. Otherwise they never come back.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics