Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Looking for Advice regarding DS taking Adderall

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 9:15 am
Hello Imas.

I would love to hear from Imas with a background in OT or Special Ed who might have advice about OT for an adult child.

My 24 year old DS is interested in taking Adderall. Actually he has already spoken to a psychiatrist and has an Rx in hand!

DS works in IT (remotely) and feels he has great trouble concentrating. He is aware of the potential side effects of Adderall, and he assures me that his Rx is for a low dose.

Some background: DS got services for OT in K, 1st, and 2nd grades. (In 2nd grade, I paid for it out of pocket) for fine motor skills and for sensory issues.

His handwriting is still not good (well how could it be when everyone types on the computer?) and I just cannot help but think that my son's failure to concentrate is related to unresolved OT or sensory issues.

What advice would you give me? Should he start by getting a neuropsych workup? I just can't believe that my son actually has true ADD. Should he get an OT tuneup so to speak? I just don't like the idea of Adderall being the first plan of attack!

TIA, dear Imas.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 9:35 am
I doubt you have much influence over your son at 24.

I took Adderall for my late teens/early 20s. No side effects BUT IMO he should consider a change of career, if he can't to IT without Adderall maybe IT doesn't really interest him that much. Does he want a career in IT and to keep taking Adderall for the rest of his life (some people do, and it's not the worst thing in the world, but again IMO a red flag to reconsider his career).

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 9:48 am
Is it a low dose? Did he get it from a reputable doctor? Then let him make his own decision.

Ot will not have the same effect as adderall. It just won’t. You can certainly encourage him to do that too though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)