Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Fish 🐠

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 30 2021, 1:29 pm
DH was amazing and went shopping last night but didn’t realize the fish is supposed to go in the freezer Can't Believe It
Now I have a roll of defrosted gefilte that was in the fridge all night. Bag says in big bold letters DO NOT DEFROST. Am I able to use the fish or do I need to throw it out?

cbsp

Post Fri, Apr 30 2021, 1:32 pm
As long as it was in the fridge it's not a problem healthwise.

I just don't know if you can boil it as a loaf the regular way from an asthetic perspective. .

I used to defrost it and make fish balls in tomato sauce

Or bake in salsa...

yamz

Post Fri, Apr 30 2021, 1:35 pm
You can certainly use it. Turn it info gefilte fish balls. Bring a pot of water to a boil with whatever seasonings you normally use. When the water is boiling scoop up balls of the mixture and gently roll into balls. Pop them into the water and let them simmer. Same flavor as traditional loaf, but slightly different format.

You can also search here for gefilte fish recipes. Some people defrost the loaf and put it in a round pan they have sprayed with oil. Then they bake it. I think there may be a sauce for the top, or spices. Take a look.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Apr 30 2021, 2:04 pm
Take a loaf pan
Grease well
Line with tomato slices covering the bottom and sides
Spread fish
Cover and bake 350
I don’t know how long it would take
Cool- Turn over and you’ll have the pretty sliced tomato showing
Slice like you would gefilta fish

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 30 2021, 3:06 pm
Thank you!!!!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 30 2021, 4:07 pm
yamz wrote:
You can certainly use it. Turn it info gefilte fish balls. Bring a pot of water to a boil with whatever seasonings you normally use. When the water is boiling scoop up balls of the mixture and gently roll into balls. Pop them into the water and let them simmer. Same flavor as traditional loaf, but slightly different format.

You can also search here for gefilte fish recipes. Some people defrost the loaf and put it in a round pan they have sprayed with oil. Then they bake it. I think there may be a sauce for the top, or spices. Take a look.

How long should it simmer?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note