Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How does your employer show they value your work?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 9:53 am
How does your employer show they value your work?
How do you show appreciation to your employees?

Raises? Compliments? Public thanks? Employee of the month?

I love my job, but I'm feeling very underappreciated and it really affects my morale.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 9:57 am
never ever got any appreciation shown
nothing
nadda
done favors and filled in for others. even then, nadda.

rivkam

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 9:57 am
All of the above. I would expect the people you directly work with to compliment your work regularly I make an effort to compliment the work of others. By the way, it's such an important lesson in life. If someone does something well, tell them. If they're wearing something pretty, tell them. It really makes someone's day and keeps you motivated

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 9:59 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
never ever got any appreciation shown
nothing
nadda
done favors and filled in for others. even then, nadda.

Speaking from experience

Please be assertive and either

a) tell them what you need in terms of appreciation

b) stand up for your rights you don't need to be anyone's dishrag

c) leave

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 10:01 am
At my job for many years and struggle with this as well. Boss and wife who is very involved never ever show appreciation, I simply learned to do less, not go the extra mile, and now I'm in a great place because I do what is expected, get paid and do not expect anything at all from them in terms of appreciation. I could and would love to be the employee that goes the extra mile, but after years of working I learned to do less get paid and wish them well.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 10:05 am
I thought this post was a boss looking for ways to show appreciation. I'm a bit dissapointed.

I've had many jobs over the years. In one they showed appreciated by giving bonuses, raises, employee parties, but this was a big cooperate job. In the smaller places you're lucky if they say thank you every once in a while.

My current boss is a dream. Baruch Hashem.

Guys- you are not married to your job. Try to find a better atmosphere for yourself if possible. It makes a world of a difference and can be lifesaving.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 10:08 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Speaking from experience

Please be assertive and either

a) tell them what you need in terms of appreciation

b) stand up for your rights you don't need to be anyone's dishrag

c) leave

Just fyi in my case I told them ,I like to hear feedback, response was you're doing fine. At the time I know for a face boss was getting excellent reviews on my work from clients but never cared to pass on message . Op, if you already asked and still never get you need to accept reality that these people think the minute you hear a nice word you'll demand money or they will somehow lose ou or decide to leave.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 12:09 pm
Bump

amother
Green

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 12:45 pm
B"H I work for an amazing and generous boss and office manager.
I recieve compliments and praises, presents by my birthday and x-mas holiday. Theyve thrown me a baby shower when I had my last child. And I receive raises as well. B"H has been the best work environment I've ever been in and I feel very blessed.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 1:10 pm
Thanks everyone for the input.

My job is enjoyable, but lots of times I'm trying to deal with for my higher ups who drop balls. It's very annoying when certain things need to be done by other administrators and departments for me to do my job, but they doubt cone through, and my hands are tied. I reach out to supervisors, other departments, etc. As it's like banging my head against the wall to get anything done, and it's not my responsibility.

Some will say, forget about it! If they can't get their act together, it's their problem.
But it affects my job performance.

Also, the business never acknowledges my department. They will mention the dedication of this dept, that dept, not mine.

When I call the higher ups about various issues, they say what an asset I am to the business, but they never go out of their way to tell me. Only if I call them about a problem.

I don't even know what I want.

I have a close friend who feels I should get paid more because I'm such a valued employee, but that isn't even I for me.

I want ACKNOWLEDGMENT. I AM HUMAN. PEOPLE NEED POSITIVE FEEDBACK.PEOPLE NEED TO FEEL APPRECIATED.

Am I fishing for kavod?

I know they can raise my pay, but that's not all I want.

I guess there's a work culture here, and it ain't pretty.

I'm also in a dead-end job unless they decide time raise me to more of a supervising level.

I really like what I do, so I don't want to leave, but sometimes I'm just SO ANNOYED

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 2:26 pm
I work for a govt agency so raises are negotiated by our union across the board. These amount to sometimes nothing, sometimes 1 or 2%, sometimes 3% and then you give up some other fringe benefit, like your health insurance premiums go up. It has nothing to do with the quality of your own work. For a promotion you have to take an exam and get one of the top three scores, after which you have to be interviewed for a vacancy if there is one. So you can wait a long time for that. If you're good, someone with a vacancy may want you. If you're no good, they won't.

The best bosses give positive verbal feedback. These days it's usually by email. "Your report is good to go, superb job." Occasionally an email "thank you for your exceptional work on the McGillicuddy case. We appreciate your going the extra mile to research the history and contact former employees." Twice in the 40 years I've been there a manager has sent a box of fancy chocolates to the entire office as a thank you for working on a special project.

We get annual performance evaluations, and if you have a supervisor or manager who cares and is good with words, instead of the standard "completes all assignments as instructed and is reliable in time and attendance" they may wax more enthusiastic and say something like "Work is exemplary, exceeds expectations in all areas, professional behavior of the highest caliber, meticulous attention to detail, unfailingly reliable" or the like.

There are some annual rewards for which people can be nominated, but it doesn't have to be a boss doing the nominating. It can be a coworker.

That's about it. Mostly you have to find your satisfaction from within.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 3:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone for the input.

My job is enjoyable, but lots of times I'm trying to deal with for my higher ups who drop balls. It's very annoying when certain things need to be done by other administrators and departments for me to do my job, but they doubt cone through, and my hands are tied. I reach out to supervisors, other departments, etc. As it's like banging my head against the wall to get anything done, and it's not my responsibility.

Some will say, forget about it! If they can't get their act together, it's their problem.
But it affects my job performance.

Also, the business never acknowledges my department. They will mention the dedication of this dept, that dept, not mine.

When I call the higher ups about various issues, they say what an asset I am to the business, but they never go out of their way to tell me. Only if I call them about a problem.

I don't even know what I want.

I have a close friend who feels I should get paid more because I'm such a valued employee, but that isn't even I for me.

I want ACKNOWLEDGMENT. I AM HUMAN. PEOPLE NEED POSITIVE FEEDBACK.PEOPLE NEED TO FEEL APPRECIATED.

Am I fishing for kavod?

I know they can raise my pay, but that's not all I want.

I guess there's a work culture here, and it ain't pretty.

I'm also in a dead-end job unless they decide time raise me to more of a supervising level.

I really like what I do, so I don't want to leave, but sometimes I'm just SO ANNOYED

Its a bit much to be expecting acknowledgement from the "higher ups". Do you have a supervisor in your department you can talk to?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 3:35 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
At my job for many years and struggle with this as well. Boss and wife who is very involved never ever show appreciation, I simply learned to do less, not go the extra mile, and now I'm in a great place because I do what is expected, get paid and do not expect anything at all from them in terms of appreciation. I could and would love to be the employee that goes the extra mile, but after years of working I learned to do less get paid and wish them well.

I started doing the same and then boss complained about my recent decline in dedication.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 3:41 pm
bonuses

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 4:26 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I started doing the same and then boss complained about my recent decline in dedication.

You need to find the sweet spot- of doing your work exactly as they expect and I do 10% more than that. This way I am not going "above and beyond". I am doing what I should be doing and then even adding on a bit so that they feel they get their money's worth but not in an attempt to overly please.

It's also a personality to have this need to please others and that others should "see" how good you are. As you get older you kind of lose that need. I spent years in therapy and I see now that therapy didn't really help this issue. I just matured and learned to appreciate myself, focus on myself and care less about others thinking of me. I'm sure many older ima's can relate that the need to please naturally decreases with age.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 7:00 am
Kind of in the same boat here. I work in a corporate NYC, not Jewish, environment. Some of my bosses and nice, take the time to thank me, chat a few words, etc. Then there are those, with whom I work the closest, who are moody, never say thank you, meanwhile I'm jumping when they go "peep", or at least I'm expected to.

I'm starting to really resent it. I don't have all that much work to do, it's not super busy, but I'm expected to drop everything when they need something, mostly it's due to their negligence.
Starting to think about leaving, but don't know where to go...... and fear is holding me back to

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 9:01 am
just a thank you is enough
before my current job I worked for a school office where I did the camp office for them. if you remember the camp sesaon of last year youll remember it was a season to remember. I put in literally 24 hours every day. some how I never felt appreceated till I saw that they were taking all my work for granted. stayed till 11Pm last night? of course! thats why shes here! never takes a lunch break? makes sense. it didnt take too long till I hated it and I would come home and cry every night

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 6:14 pm
My boss does not know how to say thank you. I was forced to work on a Sunday because someone else messed up. Did I get a thank you? Nope. It was taken for granted. I know my job very well but they always double check my work, critique it, dont trust me. Have I been wrong in any significant way? Not really. No reason in the years I have been working here to be treated with such disrespect. They treat the interns and new hires with kid gloves even when they cost the company money, make major errors etc that I have always avoided (often made because they are careless), violate policy...

Seriously. I hate where I work and have put my feelers out for new positions. I get no recognition or praise...

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 12:05 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
My boss does not know how to say thank you. I was forced to work on a Sunday because someone else messed up. Did I get a thank you? Nope. It was taken for granted. I know my job very well but they always double check my work, critique it, dont trust me. Have I been wrong in any significant way? Not really. No reason in the years I have been working here to be treated with such disrespect. They treat the interns and new hires with kid gloves even when they cost the company money, make major errors etc that I have always avoided (often made because they are careless), violate policy...

Seriously. I hate where I work and have put my feelers out for new positions. I get no recognition or praise...

Sounds like we work in similar places. The part where they treat new hires better than already established workers really resonates. That strips you of your sense of accomplishment because they treat you on the same level so there is no sense of upward movement.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 12:09 pm
My boss is so generous in his gratitude that I find it reflects in the quality of my work. when he asked me to put in late hours Im glad to do it cua I know he appreciates it and will say so.
I like pleasing him cuz he appreciates it
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics