Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Ever shop at Goodwill?
Previous  1  2

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 10:50 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
If Unique and other thrift stores can keep their prices low, I'm sure Goodwill can too. I hear that Red, White, and Blue is also a great thrift shop but I don't think there are any Brooklyn locations.

Why would I pay $5-6 for a used Chutes and Ladders game if I can find a brand new one on Amazon during holiday season on sale for that price or less.

I did find some inexpensive books at a Fort Lauderdale area Goodwill, so I guess prices range at different locations.

I wonder if Goodwill has high overhead in terms of CEOs with high salaries. I don't know anything about Unique. I have been inside Kupas Ezra besides the times that I have dropped off stuff to donate. Maybe they have lower operating costs because they are small.

seeker

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 11:08 pm
No idea about executive salaries, but I know that part of Goodwill's mission is that they employ people who would otherwise likely not have jobs (intellectual disabilities, etc) so the need to sort through things that aren't fit to sell is probably not a big issue - it gives these people what to do. And then the money you're paying also supports this effort. I still wouldn't pay $5 for a used toy I could get on Amazon new, but generally speaking that's part of what's going on. I have seen nice prices for clothes, but of course the actual clothes are hit or miss. Things do get marked down at different times - I have seen nice coats around $20.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 11:08 pm
southernbubby wrote:
One of the sad things about thrift stores is that they have to pay $$$$ to dispose of junk that people shouldn't donate.

They throw lots of things in the garbage. Look at the dumpster diving videos for goodwill to see how many things people find in the garbage.
Its shocking that stores (I've seen quality things Bed Bath and Beyond, Party City, etc) throw out perfectly good merchandise instead of donating things to homeless shelters or food pantries. People do dumpster diving and find so many things in the garbage.

Some of the stores got smart and started selling boxes or pallets instead of throwing it in the garbage-- https://wibargain.com/

And there is a store in Queens that sells things from these type of boxes-- https://bingers.fun/?fbclid=Iw.....TEDVI

There should be a Jewish store rescue with people collecting merchandise and food from Jewish stores and giving it away to people in need. Hope someone starts it.

dankbar

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 11:27 pm
There are people in my neighborhood collecting extra fresh food from simchas & whatever food is left at end of week from takeout/restaurants & distribute to poor families

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 11:31 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
They throw lots of things in the garbage. Look at the dumpster diving videos for goodwill to see how many things people find in the garbage.
Its shocking that stores (I've seen quality things Bed Bath and Beyond, Party City, etc) throw out perfectly good merchandise instead of donating things to homeless shelters or food pantries. People do dumpster diving and find so many things in the garbage.

Some of the stores got smart and started selling boxes or pallets instead of throwing it in the garbage-- https://wibargain.com/

And there is a store in Queens that sells things from these type of boxes-- https://bingers.fun/?fbclid=Iw.....TEDVI

There should be a Jewish store rescue with people collecting merchandise and food from Jewish stores and giving it away to people in need. Hope someone starts it.

Unfortunately, part of clothing manufacturing is something called dead stock where more clothing is produced than can be sold so it's destroyed. Some countries have laws against burning textiles because the industry pollutes the earth enough as it is and burning the excess just adds insult to injury.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 6:13 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Yes! I don’t know where Livingston street is but there are amazing high end ones in my neighborhood (Manhattan) I’ve gotten lots of designer clothes and shoes there for bubkes but my best deal was a mink coat in pristine condition for $300

Surprised Surprised
The one who says money can't buy happiness doesn't know where to shop.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 10:22 am
I miss Goodwill so much! I used to practically live there.

The prices may be higher than Value Village or the Salvation Army, but they do a lot of social good. They train new immigrants, teach them English, give them job skills, help them find housing, and basically turn them into taxpaying citizens. A lot of the people they serve are political refugees from war torn countries.

They operate domestic violence shelters and soup kitchens across the US, as well as homeless shelters and other programs to get people back on their feet.

As for the clothing, it's as good or bad as the neighborhood you shop in. They don't like to spend money on transportation, so clothing from fancy areas go to shop in those neighborhoods.

The clothing that doesn't make it into the stores because of various problems, will often go to "The Bins". It's like open sided dumpster diving, but on long tables. If you sew, this is heaven! You pay by the pound, and you can get the most gorgeous high end fabrics like silk, velvet, bridal lace, and furs. You'll need to dig hard, snatch fast, and then be very creative with what you have. They also sell books by the pound, which is pretty awesome.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 11:07 am
southernbubby wrote:
One of the sad things about thrift stores is that they have to pay $$$$ to dispose of junk that people shouldn't donate.

I thought the clothes were sold for recycling or something.

southernbubby

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 12:02 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:

Find out what happens both to unsalable merchandise and find out if dealers get first dibs on valuable stuff. I think that different stores have different policies. Sending the junk to poor countries is not always to their benefit if it interferes with their economy.
Fast fashion, which is probably the majority of clothing sold in America, has very little resale value.
Some stuff is unsanitary, such as underwear and has to be disposed of.

becky2345

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 12:36 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
anything in or near lakewood?

Yes, there's one in Brick on Hooper

scruffy

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 12:40 pm
I've enjoyed shopping at Crossroads which is a similar concept chain.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 1:28 pm
Livingston street is the only location I've been to that didn't seem to have much worth buying; I spotted a couple of items there marked at higher prices than new. In general, the stores are great.

Amarante

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 1:36 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:

The market is so over saturated with used clothing that the price has dropped so it is no longer a viable solution. There is simply no market for them. At one time they were sent to third world countries for resale but it just doesn't make economic sense at this point.

There is so much disposable clothing being sold now. So the stores really don't want anything that they can't sell on the floor.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 1:52 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
anything in or near lakewood?

There's one near the Kohl's plaza in Brick. It's near Church Road. It's about 10 minutes from the south side of Lakewood give or take. I've never been there though I'd love to go.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics