Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
2 1/2 year old escapes bed and doesn’t want to sleep.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 8:14 pm
He doesn’t rest during the day. He is fed, bathed , stimulated enough. Plenty attention and is exhausted. Once I tuck him in he decides it’s time to party. He wakes Approx 7 am and I put him down around 7 when it’s after supper and the nightly winding down.

He will jump and dance and spin and drive me up the wall !!!! He will only go to sleep a few hrs later. His not afraid of his room and the door is halfway open. and Bh he is feeling fine. The room is yum and cozy and he sleeps with his favorite Mickey.

How can I get him to stay in bed and sleep and get enough sleep to keep him happy for the next day.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 8:22 pm
Melatonin for a few nights until he realizes what’s expected.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 8:23 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Melatonin for a few nights until he realizes what’s expected.
[b][I]

How much to give for a 2 1/2 ?

Omg I spent 1 and 1.5 hrs trying to relax him and I’m not coping.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 8:26 pm
How long does it take to work.

I never ever used with my other kids. Bh I have some at home.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 8:32 pm
Give 1mg. Can go up to 3mg.
Will work within 20 minutes. So give it at 630. And make sure at 650 he’s laying down. He’ll go out like a light

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 8:43 pm
My 10 year old takes half a mg.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 8:44 pm
My 2.5 yr old climes out of crib in second.
I didn’t want to give melatonin.
Honestly I’m not sure exactly what worked to get him back on track. But it took 2 weeks and hours of my life. I sit next to his crib and every time his foot goes over I push it back in.
If he lies down he can hold my hand. Right now he falls asleep holding my hand and it takes forever.
My next step is to wean him off hand holding so I can take trips out of the room.
If I leave now he just cried but hasn’t tried to climb out again.

I started a going to sleep nicely chart with my 4 yr old and it seemed like the 2.5 yr old got the concept so I made him a chart too. He was very excited to add stars and I tho I he gets the concept. Well have to see if that helps.

Rachel Shira

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 8:50 pm
What time does he end up falling asleep? It might be slightly too long of a night even without a nap. I’d start by putting him down later - like 8:00, and hold firm to the limit of staying in his room. Use a passive boundary like a gate at the door or something else that will keep him in if it’s too hard to enforce the rule without it. In a few days if there’s no more power struggle, he can probably learn to successfully fall asleep in a shorter amount of time because he’s more tired. After that you can try moving bedtime a little earlier each night while sticking to firm boundaries.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 8:58 pm
I feel for you.

My former little escape artist is now 11.
A crib tent helped for a few weeks until she learned how to unzip it from the inside somehow. Eventually we moved her to a mattress on the floor and had to stay with her until she fell asleep. And lock the door so she couldn't get out and wander around the house early in the AM.

She still is high energy but has some seichel now. Though she fractured her second bone this year (playing basketball this time) She'll probably be GO president one day and eventually the head of some chesed organization but for now she can be exhausting to parent LOL

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 9:08 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I feel for you.

My former little escape artist is now 11.
A crib tent helped for a few weeks until she learned how to unzip it from the inside somehow. Eventually we moved her to a mattress on the floor and had to stay with her until she fell asleep. And lock the door so she couldn't get out and wander around the house early in the AM.

She still is high energy but has some seichel now. Though she fractured her second bone this year (playing basketball this time) She'll probably be GO president one day and eventually the head of some chesed organization but for now she can be exhausting to parent LOL

Hehe lawngreen.

My baby was never a great sleep but super duper ambitious and never still for a second so I totally get the high powered positions we dream they will run:)

But now he is old enough to not sleep during the day. He legit doesn’t sit still. I’m chasing him and he is full full of trouble. Runs so quick I always need to be behind him bc he doesn’t care if he hurts himself.

We recently changed from a crib to a bed bc we thought it would make a diff. He was super excited but the sleep schedule remains cray crazy.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 9:48 pm
Double post

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 11:46 pm
If you do melatonin, please don’t start with more than 1/3 of a mg.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 5:22 am
Watch super nanny. You need to be firm.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 9:28 am
Some kids do not produce enough melatonin. It's a naturally occurring hormone, but if your body doesn't make enough, you need to supplement it until they get older. You are NOT drugging your child!

amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
If you do melatonin, please don’t start with more than 1/3 of a mg.

If you do a 1mg tablet, break it into quarters. If the first night 1/4 is not working, then try 1/2mg. That plus an 8pm bedtime should do the trick.

DD and I got into horrible power struggles over bedtime, and we both dreaded it and fought like crazy. I often ended up in tears and yelling at her, or just giving up and letting her roam the house (I was exhausted! Common sense was not a strong suit in those days.)

Our pediatrician told us when she was 5, that she could have had melatonin a lot earlier in life. It would have saved us so much unnecessary misery.

B'H, 1/2 mg a night changed everything for us. She would ask for it a half an hour before bed, when she was tired but couldn't unwind. (It turned out later she has ADD as well.) Then she'd sleep like a baby and wake up cheerful in the morning, ready to go to school.

DD slowly weaned herself off of melatonin at her own pace, just because she wanted to. She didn't need any prompting from me. She learned her body's cues, and how to know when to start getting ready to sleep. There were no more fights over bedtime, and now she doesn't need any help sleeping at all, even though she still has ADD.

My only regret, is not knowing about melatonin earlier.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 8:08 pm
Thx for all the tips.

I tired melatonin for the first time.
I started wirh 1 mg and the following three nights he slept more or less after I gave it within 1/2 hr later sometimes 1 hr. ( with loads of fuss like staying on the room. Rubbing his back. Leave door open etc) but at least it wasn’t 11 pm.

Today I gave it to him. He is so tired but still not sleep. This is 3 hrs later Sad. Oh my Sad. What is going on ......

amother
Plum

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 9:20 pm
This is so hard and exhausting!! You need to find a sleep coach to help you. I wish I would know of one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics