Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Article about heterodox response to Meron tragedy
1  2  3  Next

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:29 pm
I saw an article about a frum person who checked out Reform and Conservative websites to see what they had to say about the horrible tragedy and he couldn't find any reference to it at all. No thoughts and prayers or offers of help of the type that came their way from the frum community during the Tree of Life massacre.
I am sure that they don't approve of what frum people do but shouldn't they have at least offered condolences?

ETA; the author didn't check the correct sources when he published the article. Conservative and Reform groups did offer prayers and counseling.

Last edited by southernbubby on Wed, May 05 2021, 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

paperflowers

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:32 pm
My conservative friend said an extra prayer for the victims and injured in her synagogue.

4g01o

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:32 pm
It would've been mentchlich. My friends non Jewish next door neighbour posted a card to offer her condolences on what happened. So nice. At least they're not badmouthing though.

shyshira

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:33 pm
Rabbinical Assembly
@RabbiAssembly
·
Apr 30
The Rabbinical Assembly is heartbroken by the tragedy on Mt. #Meron, where at least 44 people died & dozens more were injured at the #LagBOmer celebration. We offer our sincere condolences to the families who lost loved ones, and pray for the speedy recovery of the injured.

The Movement for Reform Judaism (Facebook)
·
We are thinking of all those affected by last night's events.
If you would like to join a Shabbat service to say Kaddish, the memorial prayer for the dead, or get pastoral support, your local Reform synagogue is there for you. Shabbat Shalom.

Reform Judaism
@ReformMovement
·
Apr 30
We are devastated over the loss of life that has occurred in Meron due to a crowd crush at Lag BaOmer festivities. Our sympathies go out to the families of all those who have died, and everyone in Israel who will be affected by one of the worst disasters in the country's history.

Last edited by shyshira on Tue, May 04 2021, 5:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:33 pm
Are you really surprised?!?!

scruffy

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:34 pm
I saw some social media posts from Reform and Conservative rabbis about the tragedy.

octopus

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:34 pm
Well vinnews took it down but there was a reform rabbi that wrote an article but they took it down. Her son was there at meron and was ok. Her son is orthodox. She was very very upset about meron and was hurting deeply. But it was taken down..

shyshira

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:38 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I saw an article about a frum person who checked out Reform and Conservative websites to see what they had to say about the horrible tragedy and he couldn't find any reference to it at all. No thoughts and prayers or offers of help of the type that came their way from the frum community during the Tree of Life massacre.
I am sure that they don't approve of what frum people do but shouldn't they have at least offered condolences?

They did.

realsilver

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:39 pm
octopus wrote:
Well vinnews took it down but there was a reform rabbi that wrote an article but they took it down. Her son was there at meron and was ok. Her son is orthodox. She was very very upset about meron and was hurting deeply. But it was taken down..

That article is still on kveller

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:42 pm
You saw an article by ONE person who said he alone didn’t see anything, and that means no one wrote anything?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:42 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Are you really surprised?!?!

Please tell me this is a joke....

The Rebbitzen

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:46 pm
Seriously the fact that it happened at a Chareidi venue, to begin with, is because the government couldn't care less about the infrastructure or the way it's built. At secular venues, the government pours in money in the millions!! So did you really think the secular CARE what happened in Meron it was "only" chareidim!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:47 pm
This is a good time to judge our fellow Jews favorably. Please don't go assuming negative things just because they are not your stream of Judaism.

Maybe it's not that they don't care, maybe they are speechless, and just as in shock as we are.

Achdus and ahavas Israel are for EVERYONE, not just the Orthodox.

octopus

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:47 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
You saw an article by ONE person who said he alone didn’t see anything, and that means no one wrote anything?

I was actually upset that news outlet printed that letter. Do you really think Hashem wants more disunity??? Do you think Hashem sees us as reform or conservative or chareidi??? We all stood at har sinai. Some of us are sinners, some of us are righteous but we are responsible for one another. Hashem sees us as the Jewish people. We need to stop splintering ourselves. Our enemies see no difference between us. This is the one nekuda we can learn from our enemies.

number

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:50 pm
That kveller article was beautiful. Why did vin take it down?

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:52 pm
I am happy to see that they actually did respond with the appropriate condolences. The author of the article was obviously not looking in the right places.

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:56 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
This is a good time to judge our fellow Jews favorably. Please don't go assuming negative things just because they are not your stream of Judaism.

Maybe it's not that they don't care, maybe they are speechless, and just as in shock as we are.

Achdus and ahavas Israel are for EVERYONE, not just the Orthodox.

The author obviously didn't see that there were proper responses.

icedcoffee

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 6:07 pm
Uh, as someone who grew up Conservative, I can say that all of the "Conservative websites" I follow, from my childhood synagogue to the Rabbinic Assembly, have been posting about it. As have the "Reform websites" I follow as well. I know this had already been established in this thread but it really ticks me off. Why would someone go out of their way to spread disunity at a time when people are coming together?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 6:11 pm
southernbubby wrote:

URJ:

https://urj.org/blog/urj-state.....srael

Excerpt:

Quote:
Our hearts are heavy after the tragic loss of 45 souls as we begin to understand the terrible disaster that occurred during the LaG BaOmer celebrations on Mt. Meron in Northern Israel. Our deep condolences go out to all the families whose lives are torn apart now, including children who are orphaned, and parents who lost children. This tragedy is such a heavy loss for all of the people of Israel and we express our sorrow over this terrible and senseless loss of life. There are many questions that will have to be addressed around the circumstances of this tragedy but as Shabbat comes in and the victims are laid to rest, we bow our heads in pain and grief.

Conservative movement

Quote:
The Rabbinical Assembly is heartbroken by the tragedy at the tomb of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai on Mount Meron, where at least 44 people died and dozens more were injured at the Lag BaOmer celebration. We offer our sincere condolences to the families who lost loved ones, and pray for the speedy recovery of the injured.

The Masorti Movement in Israel published this prayer for the victims.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 6:12 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
Uh, as someone who grew up Conservative, I can say that all of the "Conservative websites" I follow, from my childhood synagogue to the Rabbinic Assembly, have been posting about it. As have the "Reform websites" I follow as well. I know this had already been established in this thread but it really ticks me off. Why would someone go out of their way to spread disunity at a time when people are coming together?

Have I told you lately that you're one of my favorite people? Hug
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics