Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Article about heterodox response to Meron tragedy
Previous  1  2  3  Next

icedcoffee

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 6:16 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Have I told you lately that you're one of my favorite people? Hug

Same!!! Hug

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 6:20 pm
Our local Federation had a Zoom vigil that I checked out. Yes, it wasn't kosher. Music, women, men who butchered nuscha'os. (Along with a reputable rav who was personally affected, and a well-spoken shaliach.)
But they showed up and I believe meant well. May this feeling of chaveirim kol Yisrael lead to bigger and better things.

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 6:20 pm
Not sure what the author of the article had in mind. Maybe individual congregations didn't address it on their websites but the umbrella organizations did an excellent job of addressing it. Thanks to all who pointed it out.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 6:53 pm
My Conservative, Reform, and unaffiliated Jewish friends reached out to me. A relative's non-Jewish OT reached out to me. People care.

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 6:59 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Please tell me this is a joke....

I’m serious. On social media I follow a nice amount of “jewish” pages that are very outspoken when it comes to blm and racism. They didn’t mention a thing now. Not one post about it.

eduardo

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 7:01 pm
How can you even be focusing on this right now?

First of all, I have seen a lot online so I'm not sure why this person would say that.

But even if that were the case, it certainly does not mean no one is feeling, caring or mourning.

Please stop judging other people and making assumptions about them. We need to acknowledge that Hashem loves all of us. We are all his children, regardless of where we are on the spectrum. Please try to see the best in your fellow Jew, and maybe then we can bring Moshiach and stop all this tragedy.

chestnut

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 7:02 pm
octopus wrote:
Well vinnews took it down but there was a reform rabbi that wrote an article but they took it down. Her son was there at meron and was ok. Her son is orthodox. She was very very upset about meron and was hurting deeply. But it was taken down..

I just read it yesterday. Why did they take it down?
I found the following fascinating - the mother is a reform rabbi, the father is a conservative rabbi, and the son might become an orthodox rabbi (he's learning in Mir)

chestnut

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 7:06 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Not sure what the author of the article had in mind. Maybe individual congregations didn't address it on their websites but the umbrella organizations did an excellent job of addressing it. Thanks to all who pointed it out.

The author just has an agenda, imo. That's in addition to not being the brightest person, and YWN being stupid for printing that letter.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 7:31 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I’m serious. On social media I follow a nice amount of “jewish” pages that are very outspoken when it comes to blm and racism. They didn’t mention a thing now. Not one post about it.

Oy, on all accounts.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 8:45 pm
Let's hope there's never another Pittsburgh, but if ch"v something similar would happen, let's remember that we need to show up.

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 8:48 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Let's hope there's never another Pittsburgh, but if ch"v something similar would happen, let's remember that we need to show up.

The frum community was very involved in the aftermath of the Tree of Life massacre. They really did show up.

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 8:55 pm
chestnut wrote:
The author just has an agenda, imo. That's in addition to not being the brightest person, and YWN being stupid for printing that letter.

I agree. I figured that those who said nothing possibly wanted to avoid saying anything wrong. When it's an anti-Semitic attack on Jews, it's easier to be PC than when it's a situation that occurs from within our own ranks. It's also possible that it's not on everyone's radar. There are horrible things happening all over the world but most of us can't relate to them.

chestnut

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 9:23 pm
southernbubby wrote:
The frum community was very involved in the aftermath of the Tree of Life massacre. They really did show up.

And how many were dissecting the simchos that were going on then, and whose bris it was, etc. Those were orthodox folks.

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 9:29 pm
chestnut wrote:
And how many were dissecting the simchos that were going on then, and whose bris it was, etc. Those were orthodox folks.

Okay, that happened on social media. My DD and family live in Pittsburgh and the frum community was very involved.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 10:06 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Okay, that happened on social media. My DD and family live in Pittsburgh and the frum community was very involved.

And what about the frum community outside of Pittsburgh? Many people stepped up and got involved, but many people also.....didn’t.

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 10:18 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
And what about the frum community outside of Pittsburgh? Many people stepped up and got involved, but many people also.....didn’t.

There were lots of public statements made but I suppose to some people, it was just one more mass shooting.

youngishbear

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 10:24 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Our local Federation had a Zoom vigil that I checked out. Yes, it wasn't kosher. Music, women, men who butchered nuscha'os. (Along with a reputable rav who was personally affected, and a well-spoken shaliach.)
But they showed up and I believe meant well. May this feeling of chaveirim kol Yisrael lead to bigger and better things.

In a similar vein, I've noticed that many of the signs of mourning around the world are using zionist or at least Israeli symbols that would not be viewed lovingly by some of the victims. But I am touched by the outpouring of love and achdus in whichever way people know how.

cnc

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 10:51 pm
Why did VIN take the article down?
I found it fascinating and touching

newcomer

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 10:54 pm
cnc wrote:
Why did VIN take the article down?
I found it fascinating and touching

Probably due to copyright issues.

cnc

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 10:55 pm