Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
14 month old is so clingy and kvetchy

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 7:34 pm
My 14 month old became very clingy and kvetchy and is only happy when I am holding her.
In the morning she is happy and plays nicely. Then she goes to a sitter for a few hours where she is happy (I think! She's always playing happily when I pick her up, and the sitter says she's happy). Then we come home at 3 in the afternoon and boom, she's kvetchy and clingy straight until bedtime (615-630). She doesn't want another nap.
I give her a snack and drink right when we get home, but after that she is just sad and wants me to hold her (not even play with her or read stories- just hold). I can't take care of my other kids or put food in the oven etc- it's really quite stressful!
Any advice?

thegiver

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 7:40 pm
Sit on her level and play with her for undivided attention without any distractions for 15 minutes. Make sure ur phone is off. Involve her in making dinner like put her somewhere safe on counter. Show her u want her close.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 7:41 pm
She doesn't want that...she cries until
I hold her.

thegiver

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 7:41 pm
Make sure nothing strange going on at sitter. Like drugging the child to sleepwith Benadryl daily. Heard of a horror story like that. Prob not the case!! Just worth looking into

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 8:03 pm
Kids are intuitive and she probably knows that you don’t want to hold her- which will make her even more clingy. Maybe she needs a few minutes or even half an hour where she gets the message that you love to hold her and be near her. I understand that it must be hard because you probably have many things to do when you get home, but maybe you can try it for a day or two and see if it helps.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 10:33 pm
My baby would also need to be held like that after daycare.
Even though they’re happy there - they are “on”

They need to just be with you and get to be “off”

If they makes sense.

That’s how I think of it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics