Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
How is renting an apartment in Israel different from US?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 3:47 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Driers: with israeli climate most people hang their laundry on the line.

I wouldn't say most. In my very Israeli neighbourhood I rarely see laundry hung outside, if ever. It's a mixed area socio-economically but most don't seem to hang their laundry outside.

Honestly when both spouses work f/t or are busy, it's not always worth it to hang. The dryer only costs a couple of shekels to operate.

None of my friends/family hang laundry.

It probably depends where you live.

Rappel

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 3:52 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
So you can't get the laundry dry except june July august? Scratching Head
No mountain breezes?

Not in the valley. Smile But when we lived on the old hilltop, I'd hang my laundry even on a rainy day. Because if the rain paused for even an hour, the wind would get everything dry. It was great!

Here, it's not worth it to me to hang my clothing out until the next day. I'd rather have it waiting for me in the dryer.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 3:58 am
Rappel wrote:
Not in the valley. Smile But when we lived on the old hilltop, I'd hang my laundry even on a rainy day. Because if the rain paused for even an hour, the wind would get everything dry. It was great!

Here, it's not worth it to me to hang my clothing out until the next day. I'd rather have it waiting for me in the dryer.

I don't even own a dryer LOL and if don't even miss it. I don't like to pay for something that. I can get for free LOL

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 4:01 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I don't even own a dryer LOL and if don't even miss it. I don't like to pay for something that. I can get for free LOL

Dryers are like dishwashers. You can do the job yourself 'for free', but they save you time and energy. And as they say, time is money.

Kol hakavod to you for hanging laundry though, it's probably a lot better for the environment.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 4:08 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Dryers are like dishwashers. You can do the job yourself 'for free', but they save you time and energy. And as they say, time is money.

Kol hakavod to you for hanging laundry though, it's probably a lot better for the environment.

Dishwasher? Hold on tight, I don't even have a dishwasher LOL and even my mom never had. But THAT is an item in would really really love and need. It saves water AND time.
I guess I am kind of conservative or ancient... I have a vacuum cleaner but not a floor robot.

chanchy123

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 4:35 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

I think this probably depends on community, most people I know use a drier (at least partially).

LovesHashem

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 4:40 am
I need a dryer. Underwear, towels, tshirts, they come out so stiff and smell weird without a dryer. Most clothing items I try to hang in the house and are fine.

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 4:45 am
I wouldn't say most. In my very Israeli neighbourhood I rarely see laundry hung outside, if ever. It's a mixed area socio-economically but most don't seem to hang their laundry outside.

You wouldn't necessarily see a clothes line on someone's mirpesset unless you were actually visiting the house.

Most people I know hang laundry at least some of the time. Especially in the summer I like hanging it out in the evening and then taking it in dew fresh and soft before I go to work (and before the sun starts to fade it) the next morning.

Last edited by Elfrida on Wed, May 05 2021, 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Shuly

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 4:46 am
When we signed the contract on our first rental in Israel, the landlord made sure to tell us that we are getting kitchen cabinets included in the price! LOL

It was a real shock to learn that besides for furniture, we had to buy a refrigerator, oven and washing machine!

We didn't have a dryer for many year but finally bought one when we had little kids. I can't say I miss wearing hard socks and underwear.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 4:59 am
fiji wrote:
An unfurnished apartment in Israel means no appliances (fridge, oven, stove, washer/dryer).

I’m going through this as well right now, making Aliyah. It’s just shocking to learn that most apartments for rent are not furnished, including kitchen appliances. It’s crazy I need to get all the kitchen appliances for an apartment I don’t own... so yea it is different than in the US.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 5:05 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I’m going through this as well right now, making Aliyah. It’s just shocking to learn that most apartments for rent are not furnished, including kitchen appliances. It’s crazy I need to get all the kitchen appliances for an apartment I don’t own... so yea it is different than in the US.

You can get free appliances on Agora
Co.il. tons of fridge are offered. Gas stove's too but as they come with it least one oven it might be a kashrut problem.
Anyhow when and if you move you take it with you.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 5:30 am
Actually IME closets usually come with a rented apartment. It's too much of a hassle and expense to dismantle them. An owner usually rents out an apartment he or others previously lived in, and the closets stay.

Medicine cabinets are not such a thing here, most people don't leave their medication behind the bathroom mirror. That's a good thing. I never understood the point of leaving medication in the room where you take hot steamy showers.
In all of the years that I rented, there were never closets left by previous owners. Interesting how different experiences there are.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 5:31 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Totally agree with them medicine cabinets thing! To store your pills in the bathroom and then you got to walk to the kitchen to get your water. Seems very unorganized to me...
Huh? There is a tap in the bathroom Wink

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 5:32 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
So interesting. I feel like it deprnds on each family really. And it is more and more becoming a thing of the past to not have a drier. Just what ive seen around.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 6:04 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Huh? There is a tap in the bathroom Wink

Indeed. From what I understand drinking water in bathroom turns to be a halachic matter.
Anyhow IMHO tap water is not really tasty at least not where I live.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 6:18 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Indeed. From what I understand drinking water in bathroom turns to be a halachic matter.
Anyhow IMHO tap water is not really tasty at least not where I live.
Right, I hear about the taste. Is it bad enough to not be able to use for tooth brushing? Ive places like that.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 6:19 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
So interesting. I feel like it deprnds on each family really. And it is more and more becoming a thing of the past to not have a drier. Just what ive seen around.

Agree. Socio economic factor IMHO. Driers are cheaper than 30 yrs ago. And Israeli's want to be "mitkadem" every 2nd ad for something is "tikne, titkadem"

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 6:21 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Right, I hear about the taste. Is it bad enough to not be able to use for tooth brushing? Ive places like that.

Brushing is fine here. I use Brita filter for drinking but not for cooking.

carrot

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 6:26 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
In all of the years that I rented, there were never closets left by previous owners. Interesting how different experiences there are.

Nor I.
When we made Aliyah, we came straight off the plane with our suitcases and young kids ka”h straight into a completely bare apartment. Not as much as a hook on the wall. Definitely not a closet or bathroom vanity drawer. It was disorienting and tough.
The landlord had bought the apartment as an investment and never slept it in a day in his life, and it showed.
Our next apartment also had no furniture (closets) but the vanity in the bathroom felt like the ultimate luxury.

Last edited by carrot on Wed, May 05 2021, 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 6:35 am
While we are on the topic: don't expect a kitchen hood if you rent. Even people who own their apt. DONT Have it.

Last edited by Bnei Berak 10 on Wed, May 05 2021, 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions