Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
S/O what house do you think you'd be Sorted into? Explain
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

What house do you think you'd be Sorted into?
Gryffindor  
 11%  [ 8 ]
Hufflepuff  
 18%  [ 13 ]
Ravenclaw  
 58%  [ 41 ]
Slytherin  
 11%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 70

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 5:59 pm
Probably Gryffindor since I’m spontaneous and a little fearless but I don’t believe it detracts from my intelligence or being kind to others Wink . If you look at most of the Gryffindor students, I’d say they are much more of a mix in character traits than students from other houses.

icedcoffee

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 6:01 pm
I could've sworn I've read JKR talking about the parallels between Lily and Narcissa so I searched and found this:

Rowling: It’s my strong feeling that of the two sisters, Narcissa and Bellatrix, Narcissa is a much more decent person.

Helen McCrory (who plays Narcissa, also sadly passed away recently): It’s interesting that Rowling decided to do that. She decided this woman that would risk her own life to save her own son understands loyalty and understands preservation of life.

Rowling: I think one could argue that Draco who is ultimately revealed not to be an evil character – Draco got his goodness from his mother. And ultimately I want – there’s an echo of what Lily did – quite conscious echo of what Lily did right at the start of the story at the very end of the story. At the start of the story Lily dies to keep her son alive. At the end of the story, Harry lies, pretending to be dead on the ground and it’s a mother who saves him again because she’s trying to get t her own son. So that was my, you know, that was closing a circle. He was saved there by Lily and he’s saved there by Narcissa.

youngishbear

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 6:01 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Probably Gryffindor since I’m spontaneous and a little fearless but I don’t believe it detracts from my intelligence or being kind to others Wink . If you look at most of the Gryffindor students, I’d say they are much more of a mix in character traits than students from other houses.

Hmm. Maybe we get that impression because the series is told (mostly) from Harry's third-person limited point of view. If we could get to spend more time in the Ravenclaw common room, I'm sure we would see more nuance in Ravenclaw personalities, too. For starters, Luna and Cho are very different.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 6:04 pm
I haven't read this thread so I'm sorry if it's been said, but here's my theory: As Jews, we are raised to value learning and that's why the poll responses show exactly the sort of Ravenclaw bias I would expect.

scruffy

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 6:05 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
I could've sworn I've read JKR talking about the parallels between Lily and Narcissa so I searched and found this:

Rowling: It’s my strong feeling that of the two sisters, Narcissa and Bellatrix, Narcissa is a much more decent person.

Helen McCrory (who plays Narcissa, also sadly passed away recently): It’s interesting that Rowling decided to do that. She decided this woman that would risk her own life to save her own son understands loyalty and understands preservation of life.

Rowling: I think one could argue that Draco who is ultimately revealed not to be an evil character – Draco got his goodness from his mother. And ultimately I want – there’s an echo of what Lily did – quite conscious echo of what Lily did right at the start of the story at the very end of the story. At the start of the story Lily dies to keep her son alive. At the end of the story, Harry lies, pretending to be dead on the ground and it’s a mother who saves him again because she’s trying to get t her own son. So that was my, you know, that was closing a circle. He was saved there by Lily and he’s saved there by Narcissa.

There's also the third sister, Andromeda, who marries Ted Tonks and has (Nymphadora) Tonks, both Hufflepuffs. And Hufflepuff is defined by loyalty.

Java

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 8:47 pm
I'm definitely Gryffindor!
Very strong sense of right and wrong, super impulsive lol
Stubborn, intense, very loyal to ppl I care about

Java

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 8:53 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
But mazal is nature and being sorted for 7 years of school is more nurture - there’s no reason why someone with a particular nature should then also be limited to only interact with similar people. Wouldn’t you want an impulsive child’s nature to be tempered by (not sublimated or ignored, but influenced by) friendship with a more thought-out child? Why surround a spoiled, racist Slytherin child with more spoiled, racist children unless you want to get racist adults?

It’s not even like the education in each house was intentionally different. Ravenclaws didn’t get more advanced classes and Gryffindors had no battle training - this was a social thing only, not educational.

Integration is important - unless you want to maintain the status quo. Which both the wizarding world and JKR don’t see much of a problem with.

(Stuff like this is why I say that I don’t consider myself a fan of Harry Potter, but I am a fan of the Harry Potter *fandom*. The fan analysis is waaay more interesting and nuanced than anything in the original books.)

I love harry potter fanfics for this reason!
Anyone have any good ones to recommend?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 8:58 pm
I have always viewed myself as a Ravenclaw (I am definitely not a Gryffindor—I’m loyal but not at all brave). I love learning—I’m a teacher, I’m in middle of earning my fourth degree (PHD), constantly reading and learning new things, and I do word puzzles every day. I noticed a few people mentioned the Enneagram—I’m a 4 with a wing of a 5.

Also, I’m not into HP “fandom,” but I am a huge fan of the series. I read the first book in 1998, before any of my friends had heard of it. I also teach Harry Potter, and it’s one of my favorite units.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:56 pm
cutestbaby wrote:
I'm definitely Gryffindor!
Very strong sense of right and wrong, super impulsive lol
Stubborn, intense, very loyal to ppl I care about

Lol same exact personality traits

Crookshanks

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:57 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
I have always viewed myself as a Ravenclaw (I am definitely not a Gryffindor—I’m loyal but not at all brave). I love learning—I’m a teacher, I’m in middle of earning my fourth degree (PHD), constantly reading and learning new things, and I do word puzzles every day. I noticed a few people mentioned the Enneagram—I’m a 4 with a wing of a 5.

Also, I’m not into HP “fandom,” but I am a huge fan of the series. I read the first book in 1998, before any of my friends had heard of it. I also teach Harry Potter, and it’s one of my favorite units.

That's so cool! What do you teach from Harry Potter, and what age do you teach?

enneamom

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:59 pm
Ravenclaw through and through, but maybe I'll take the test again for fun Smile

enneamom

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 12:16 am
Your Result: RAVENCLAW!

80%
Congratulations! You have been sorted into Ravenclaw, the house of intelligence, curiosity, individualism, and wit. You are amongst other Ravenclaws, such as: Cho Chang, and Luna Lovegood.

66%HUFFLEPUFF!

50%GRYFFINDOR!

46%SLYTHERIN!

GLUE

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 12:29 am
I put down Slytherin because I sit on the couch all day and order my kids around. Slytherin gets things by any means possible, and loves ordering people around that sounds like me.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 12:45 am
GLUE wrote:
I put down Slytherin because I sit on the couch all day and order my kids around. Slytherin gets things by any means possible, and loves ordering people around that sounds like me.

I mean, I do the same thing, but I think the point is I don't really WANT to be doing that.

If you're on the couch reading all day, maybe that's Ravenclaw.

GLUE

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 12:47 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
I mean, I do the same thing, but I think the point is I don't really WANT to be doing that.

If you're on the couch reading all day, maybe that's Ravenclaw.

Your to kind.

tigerwife

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 12:50 am
youngishbear wrote:
Hmm. Maybe we get that impression because the series is told (mostly) from Harry's third-person limited point of view. If we could get to spend more time in the Ravenclaw common room, I'm sure we would see more nuance in Ravenclaw personalities, too. For starters, Luna and Cho are very different.

Yeah, I’ve thought about that and you’re probably right. Still can’t see what was particularly Griffindoresque about Seamus or Percy or Parvati. Then again, Cho has never struck me as particularly intelligent. Lol. I used to imagine a story where a good muggle born girl gets sorted into Slytherin and all sorts of prejudices are broken. She’s street smart but not familiar with the “evil” streak.

BadTichelDay

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 1:02 am
About the sorting into houses - I asked my dh who is a British subject and went to schools with different houses. He says that it created a sense of belonging and pride in your house and also a healthy spirit of competition between the houses. Bit like belonging to a sports team. In his opinion that was rather a good thing.

As far as Slytherin is concerned - everyone is aghast about their "snobbery" and "racism".
But lets be very honest - I think of all these threads on imamother about shidduchim, BTs, geirim and placement in schools... are we really always totally free of that, ahem, pureblood type of thinking? Or are we all little Slytherins on those occasions?

amother
Amber

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 1:45 am
Yes please recommend good HP fanfic (clean)

Aylat

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 7:54 am
Good clean HP fanfic - anything by fernwithy. When I first started reading her, I was convinced she was JKR in disguise - she is so true to the books, and yet with much more nuance re the House system and many other things.

You can find her fics at SugarQuill and on her blog The Phantom Librarian.

ETA some of her more recent fics (Hunger Games, Coco) contain non-explicit s-xual scenes. Her HP fic doesn't AFAIK.

Siriusly?

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:22 am
Personality-wise, I'm a Gryffindor-Ravenclaw hybrid. I would definitely be a near hatstall, and if it came up to my fervent preference of House, as it did for Harry and Hermione, that would totally depend on the day... right now, I'd say Gryffindor;)
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room