Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working in your daughters school

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 2:47 pm
I am thinking of taking a job in the business office of the school I send my girls to.

I think I will enjoy the nice wholesome school environment and since it is in the business office I will not be involved in the day to day programming of the school and I don't think my presence will embarrass my kids too much.

When I was a kid I felt really bad for all the kids whose parents were teachers/principals/secretaries and was so thankful my mom was not in the school. My school business office was not on location though.

Did your mom or do you have a more behind the scenes job at your kids school and how did you or do you kids like or dislike it

imasinger

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 2:54 pm
I think it's harder if you're a full classroom teacher or administrator, probably not going to impact your DD's much as an office worker.

mha3484

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 2:58 pm
Personally I really like to keep my work and home life as separate as possible and working in my kids school would be too close for my comfort even if it was the business office and I am overall very happy with my childrens school. I also prefer not to as the expression goes see how the sausage is made.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 2:59 pm
My mom volunteered at my school and I loved it! This was in earlier grades though, little ones usually love seeing their parents in school! Plus you can see how the school really is.

amother
Red

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 3:01 pm
I teach in DDs school and I have even taught her. She’s fine with it and her friends are cool with it too. But I think it depends on your daughters personality and how her friends will react.

amother
Black

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 3:06 pm
my kids are actually proud to have me around! I do the front desk at my girls school

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 3:14 pm
I work in the office of my boys' school and they love it. I'm behind the scenes enough that I'm not always in their face, but sometimes teachers send kids to the office on little errands, and they love coming by with a friend to say hello and do whatever it is the teacher asked for. And it's certainly got very nice perks like being on the same schedule as the kids, tuition discount, etc.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 3:32 pm
My mother taught in my school throughout my elementary and high school years. I absolutely hated it, even when she wasn't my teacher. Especially during adolescence! Children sometimes need to keep home and school life separate as well. If you must take the job, don't be involved at all in her school life. If you need to talk to a teacher, do it outside of school hours. I hated it when my mother knew about anything I may have done (and I was a goody-goody) and especially when other teachers would share my grades with her (and they were nothing to be ashamed of at all). If possible, I would avoid it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics