Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do you feel about cooking?
1  2  3  Next

sun inside rain

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:44 pm
Just curious, do you feel like cooking is no big deal bec you're not cooking much on a regular shabbos and yt only comes out a few times a year? Or does it feel like it's hard and a lot, like you always need to cook and by the time you're done, it's time to cook for the next shabbos or yt?

Goody2shoes

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:48 pm
You can tell someone is having an overwhelming Thursday night Sad hatzlacha
I love cooking so it's a non issue for me
Can I help you with anything?

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:50 pm
I love cooking...

I hate having to clean up afterwards!!

I would gladly make a 10 course meal if I had someone to clean up after me.

(Just made a huge pot of chicken soup and divided it into containers for the freezer... I’m soooo tired and not in the mood of washing the pot right now!!)

Last edited by bigsis144 on Thu, May 06 2021, 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

mizle10

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:50 pm
I personally like to cook, but I really feel bad for people who don’tSad we Jewish women definitely cook ALOT.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:51 pm
I enjoy cooking, in theory. when I'm cooking for people that will eat and enjoy the food it's very rewarding. I really really dislike cooking dinner, though.

Goody2shoes

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:53 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
I love cooking...

(Just made a huge pot of chicken soup and divided it into containers for the freezer... I’m soooo tired and not in the mood of washing the pot right now!!)
oy tell me about it. At one point I was almost ready to just leave my Bosch in the sink forever cuz I love using it but hate washing it

itsmeima

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:54 pm
Used to love it, these days I HATE it! I wish we can have Takeout every night!

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:57 pm
In answer to your title (not your post), I have a HUGE complex about it bc as a kid I was always teased that I won't know how to cook when I grow up. (why, bc I wanted to read on the couch instead of help in the kitchen, when I was 10??)

I'm all grown up and cook just fine. But I will never get over the insecurity. It's insanely difficult for me to grocery shop or keep a well stocked home. It's superhuman to menu plan and be functional about supper. I can't begin to explain the mental stress and energy it causes me. I will never continue a dish to a potluck, I will order the drinks or paper goods instead.

When I was newly married I would literally shake when serving supper to my husband. I wouldn't eat a bite, just watch him the whole time to see if he ate my food. (ofc I married a bird who doesn't touch anything) I was that nervous about feeding someone else.

Shabbos, Yom tov, it's all the same to me. I can make shabbos in one hour (Gefilte, soup, chicken, Kugel). Doesn't mean I'll get over it.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:06 pm
I really love cooking. I'd say I even find it therapeutic. But that doesn't mean I don't get overwhelmed at times too. Simple tasty and healthy meals for my family all week is pretty easy. Making Shabbos has become a lot easier for me now that I have children who enjoy baking; they focus on challah and dessert, and I happily prepare the rest. But when I'm expecting a lot of guests or take on too many new dishes that are time consuming or have lots of ingredients to shop for I can definitely get myself into a stressful situation where all the joy I normally have from cooking just falls away.

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:07 pm
Love cooking, hate the clean -up. I used to love take-out, now I feel like my own food is usually better. A gourmet restaurant, though, is a favorite outing.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:19 pm
Another LOVE cooling buf HATE the cleanup. Lol
I also like cooking for ppl who eat. I have such picky kids. Lol

Einikel

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:21 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
I love cooking...

This a million times!

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:21 pm
I don't like food I cooked myself. Having seen it in all the unappetizing stages of unreadiness turns me off.

I wish I could come home from work every day to yummy homecooked dinners cooked by someone else.

I wish I had a wife lol

(anon because I say it IRL)

PS did I mention I hate cooking?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:16 am
Like cooking only when I don't have to. Totally understand why those who are obligated in a miyzvah get a higher reward than those who are not obligated but fulfill it anyway.

southernbubby

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:19 am
I don't like cooking because I am not fast, efficient or creative and everyone that I usually cook for is very predictable and will probably not eat anything new. I am a simple cook.

mizle10

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:38 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I really love cooking. I'd say I even find it therapeutic. But that doesn't mean I don't get overwhelmed at times too. Simple tasty and healthy meals for my family all week is pretty easy. Making Shabbos has become a lot easier for me now that I have children who enjoy baking; they focus on challah and dessert, and I happily prepare the rest. But when I'm expecting a lot of guests or take on too many new dishes that are time consuming or have lots of ingredients to shop for I can definitely get myself into a stressful situation where all the joy I normally have from cooking just falls away.

Funny, I’m the opposite. Suppers are boring, shabbos I try to add new things. I love serving a variety of different homemade dips and salads. When I have a huge shopping/cooking list for YT with guests and family, that’s my favorite cooking.

icedcoffee

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:39 am
I used to be neutral on cooking, but since I got married and got into Sephardic cuisine, I find it really exciting and fun. It's always satisfying because I feel good about my recipes now and know they'll turn out well, and it's especially rewarding when I can host for a lot of people. Usually if I cook, my husband cleans, so that isn't really an issue. Also, we make a lot of things that have leftovers. However, there are definitely some days when I am not in the mood AT ALL, like it'll suddenly hit me that I have zero desire to do this tonight, and then we'll get pizza Smile

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:46 am
bigsis144 wrote:
I love cooking...

Same. But I never freeze because I would rather cook up a new pot than find freezer space and wash containers. Washing containers is the absolute worst as they are slimier than the pot.
Also, I would definitely leave the soup in the pot so that I only have to wash it once when we finish the soup.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:48 am
Hate cooking. Sad And I’m a SAHM.
I wish I would never need to prep a meal for anyone again.

icebreaker

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:48 am
It’s funny. I like looking up new recipes, but I hate cooking 😂 my husband and kids do the bulk of it and I’ll contribute. But it’s just not for me.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen