Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Freaking out- high white blood cells and glucose

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 9:07 am
I am freaking out! My son got bloodwork done and it came back with high glucose and high white blood cells.
The dr is having him come in today for another blood test and urine sample.

I assume they are testing for diabetes, although the Dr. Said all other things which may indicate it were normal.
I'm very concerned about the high white count, though DH asked dr if she was concerned abt cancer CV and she answered no because all other things were normal.

I'm still absolutely flipping. Any drs on here? Anyone been through this and has any insight?

happy chick

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 9:11 am
I have no experience or knowledge about glucose. But I do know that high white blood count is an indication of infection. Could be anything as simple as strep or an ear infection. Do you know how high the count was. Under 10 is normal, till 15 is high but normal for infection. Over 16 is worrisome.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 9:13 am
What glucose test was it and was he fasting before? And how much above range was it? White count - how much above range? These things fluctuate so much based on so many factors that slightly elevated almost always is insignificant.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 9:15 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
What glucose test was it and was he fasting before? And how much above range was it? White count - how much above range? These things fluctuate so much based on so many factors that slightly elevated almost always is insignificant.

Unfortunately I know no numbers. He ate dinner about 2 hrs before the test. All his dinner was carbs lol.
I'm more concerned abt the white blood count. If dr said she wasn't worried about it does that mean I shouldn't?

tweety1

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 11:20 am
happy chick wrote:
I have no experience or knowledge about glucose. But I do know that high white blood count is an indication of infection. Could be anything as simple as strep or an ear infection. Do you know how high the count was. Under 10 is normal, till 15 is high but normal for infection. Over 16 is worrisome.

15 many drs dismiss as viral. Over 16 is not worrisome is just shows some kind of infection. I've had 15 for my kids many times and Dr didn't treat it. Sometimes they had me come back in a few days to repeat the CBC, other times they told me to keep an eye on the kid. If the child acts normal without fever let it be. Otherwise I had to come back.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 3:26 pm
Update:
White blood count was 14.2

Thanks to you all for helping me calm down! I so appreciate it.

tweety1

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 3:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Update:
White blood count was 14.2

Thanks to you all for helping me calm down! I so appreciate it.

14.2 is not bad at all. Even a slight runny nose can give a child a 14.2 count. Btdt!

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 3:30 pm
tweety1 wrote:
14.2 is not bad at all. Even a slight runny nose can give a child a 14.2 count. Btdt!

Thank you!! BH BH I'm so grateful

amother
Blush

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 3:44 pm
Also, I know an infection often raised my diabetic grandmother's glucose levels. He was probably fighting off some stupid kids cold and doc wanted to make sure the levels went back down once the cold was gone and checking for uti

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 3:49 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Also, I know an infection often raised my diabetic grandmother's glucose levels. He was probably fighting off some stupid kids cold and doc wanted to make sure the levels went back down once the cold was gone and checking for uti

Yes, bh they retested hus glucose and urine today and level lowered alot. Bh.

Thanks all
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children