Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you celebrate Mother's Day
1  2  Next

Do you celebrate Mother's Day?
Yes  
 26%  [ 39 ]
No  
 66%  [ 97 ]
Other. (Explain)  
 6%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 146

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 9:52 pm
Disclaimer: Sorry for putting it in this section, I mean no disrespect.
I just didn't know where else to put it, and it can theoretically fall under "Days of Note".

Do you celebrate/acknowledge Mothers Day? Why or why not?
If yes, how do you celebrate?

healthymom1

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 9:53 pm
Not for me. Don’t really care much for it. But we all do something as a family for my mother since she cares. My other sisters feel the same way

amother
Plum

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 9:59 pm
My mom was never comfortable with us doing something for her then.
If I'm not a mom yet can my husband celebrate it for me? Wink

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 10:05 pm
My mother's bday is usually within a few days of mothers day and we celebrate her birthday.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 10:06 pm
My little kids make something for me in school. We send flowers for Shabbos to my mother-in-law and put on the card "Happy Mother's Day and good shabbos." For my own mother we usually send the chocolate that she likes.

I don't expect DH to do anything for me but I do refuse to cook dinner myself. I don't care if he cooks or we have takeout but it's definitely a night off for me.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 10:08 pm
It means something to my mother and my MIL (as well as our grandmothers when they were still alive), so yeah, very much so.

singleagain

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 10:09 pm
When I was a kid we would make my mom breakfast in bed. but she would rather sleep in, so I got steak for shabbat night. It was yum.

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 10:42 pm
I wouldn't call it "celebrating" exactly. We always bought my mom a card and a gift, but we didn't take her out to dinner or make a party or anything. When my kids were little, dh would have them make cards and get me a gift. When they grew up, he stopped because he said I'm not his mother.

My kids usually call me up to wish me happy mother's day. Often it's pretty late in the day, like that night, and sometimes the next day with apologies for being late, they didn't realize it was mother's day. Which is probably true since they live in a community where AIUI Mother's Day is considered only slightly less idolatrous than Halloween and Xmas. The only one of my kids who lives in the world where Mother's Day is acknowledged also happens to work a 12-hr. shift on Sunday and wouldn't have the time to call me, so I'm not expecting anything.

I very much like the idea. I always resented, even as a child, the teachers who would claim "In Yahadus, every day is Mother's Day. " Oh yeah? Every day people are thanking their moms for doing what they do? Where? When? I'm not talking about respect. Mother's Day isn't about respect, which of course mothers get every day, or are supposed to. Mother's Day is about recognition, celebration, thanks and acknowledgement. This you don't get every day.

You love, value and respect your dh and are glad you married him, but one day a year, on your wedding anniversary, you celebrate that fact./ You love your dc and are glad they were born, but once a year on their birthday, you celebrate that fact. For that matter, you miss your departed parents every day, but once a year, on their yahrzeit, you make a kiddush to acknowledge that fact. Why shouldn't you as a mother be celebrated once a year as well?

SYA

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 11:00 pm
We never celebrated.

My youngest siblings have been getting her something small the past few years.

Every day should be mother's day.

Crookshanks

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 11:35 pm
I voted no, but I might mention it to her almost as a joke since I didn't do anything for her:)

amother
Teal

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 12:00 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I wouldn't call it "celebrating" exactly. We always bought my mom a card and a gift, but we didn't take her out to dinner or make a party or anything. When my kids were little, dh would have them make cards and get me a gift. When they grew up, he stopped because he said I'm not his mother.

My kids usually call me up to wish me happy mother's day. Often it's pretty late in the day, like that night, and sometimes the next day with apologies for being late, they didn't realize it was mother's day. Which is probably true since they live in a community where AIUI Mother's Day is considered only slightly less idolatrous than Halloween and Xmas. The only one of my kids who lives in the world where Mother's Day is acknowledged also happens to work a 12-hr. shift on Sunday and wouldn't have the time to call me, so I'm not expecting anything.

I very much like the idea. I always resented, even as a child, the teachers who would claim "In Yahadus, every day is Mother's Day. " Oh yeah? Every day people are thanking their moms for doing what they do? Where? When? I'm not talking about respect. Mother's Day isn't about respect, which of course mothers get every day, or are supposed to. Mother's Day is about recognition, celebration, thanks and acknowledgement. This you don't get every day.

You love, value and respect your dh and are glad you married him, but one day a year, on your wedding anniversary, you celebrate that fact./ You love your dc and are glad they were born, but once a year on their birthday, you celebrate that fact. For that matter, you miss your departed parents every day, but once a year, on their yahrzeit, you make a kiddush to acknowledge that fact. Why shouldn't you as a mother be celebrated once a year as well?

I feel the same way. The “every day is Mother’s Day” always irked me. My kids are great kids and they definitely are polite and thank me for various things I do for them but... the cards I get on Mother’s Day are so so so beautiful.

bigsis144

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 12:01 am
I don’t expect anything for myself, but I call/send cards to my mother, mother-in-law and grandmother who come from worlds that do celebrate it so that they feel loved and appreciated and not neglected.

As a long-running joke, though, my mother calls me to thank ME (her eldest) for making her a mother on Mother’s Day, and I call her to say thank you on my birthday, because she was the one who did all the work that day 😆

Rappel

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 1:07 am
I answered no, but the truth is that we always marked mother's Day for my mom. I still call her and my mother in law. I just don't care for it for myself.

little neshamala

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 2:06 am
Yes.
Growing up I always heard "every day is mothers day", but that is obviously not true and I really dont like that line.
What mother gets showered with flowers and chocolate and beautiful cards detailing all the wonderful work she does as a mother, every day?

So my husband decided that mothers day is the perfect way for him and the children to show hakaras hatov. He says hakaras hatov is at the crux of yiddishkeit, and dedicating a day towards appreciating mommy and overall Kibbud Eim is exactly what our children should be doing. And I truly appreciate it.

They write detailed cards listing all the reasons mommy is so amazing etc, and usually a small gift etc. Every year they thing of new add ons.

I love it, and continue the hakaras hatov on Fathers Day

yo'ma

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 9:09 am
I don’t, but if I did, I would probably celebrate it twice. Today is in America, which I’m an American and here it’s in October. Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 9:24 am
The little kids always bring home something in honor of Mother's Day. Usually a card where they have to fill in why they love mommy. My son brought home a card that says, "I love you mommy because you buy me toys. " He keeps calling it "your day" . Lol.

Personally I like the concept in theory. Like the poster above me said about hakoras Hatov. It feels good to be acknowledged on a specific day.

I dont acknowledge the holiday though for two reasons.
1. Because in Judaism, we have so many holidays, so I'm not looking to add more.

2.I have an emotional problem with adding a holiday that is secular in origin.

We dont celebrate Thanksgiving for the same reasons , though in theory I like the concept of thanking Hashem for all of our blessings.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 9:27 am
https://www.torahanytime.com/#.....82620

Are Jews allowed to celebrate Mothers Day?
(Haven't heard it yet myself but now I'm curious...)

EtA..just listened to it.
Basically he says that in his opinion there is no problem with it, since it would only be a problem if a secular holiday has pagan roots, which this one does not. (In America, at least.)
As long as a person does not think that celebrating this day absolves him of kibbid av v'Eim on every other day of the year.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 12:24 pm
It's a Hallmark holiday, so no.

I do say "Happy Mothers Day" to the people who expect me to say it.

Optione

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 1:44 pm
We acknowledge it, but that's it.
(As in, my husband wished me a happy mother's day, had my kids do the same, v'ze hu.)

icebreaker

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 1:53 pm
My kids and husband have always done something for me on Mother’s Day.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note