Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Elementary teacher salary...
Previous  1  2

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 11:23 pm
That's a very decent salary for part time, especially including tuition!
I'm OOT, 8 years experience, and I make $30k. We get free tuition because my husband is a rebbe, but morahs don't get free tuition on their own here.

Seriously though, I don't know what it's like in NY/NJ, but in the OOT cities I'm familiar with, a *full time* public school teacher would be making as little as $35-40k. Maybe up to $60k. But for full time!

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 11:44 pm
Yes, considering that it is half of the hours of a public school teacher, that's a good salary. Where I live, a public school teacher with that much experience, plus a master's degree, would be making around $60,000 for a seven and a half hour day. Without a master's, under $60,000.
Considering that's your salary for under 4 hours a day, no worries about early Friday's, paid time off for all of YT, plus free tuition, it is quite decent, imo.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 11:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Closer to 4 hours a day and lots of 'extras' plus big achrayus taking on 27 girls yearly with all the issues that involves. Definitely a very draining (though rewarding) job.

I’m the amother who said you are getting paid well.
I happen to also be a limudai kodesh teacher, but with more students because of department-mental in the upper grades, so even more responsibility and parents to talk to.
If you’re getting free tuition, your salary is very generous.
Honestly I feel like all jobs have responsibilities so we have to stop playing that card.
I’ll be the first to admit that teaching is a cushy job. I have summers off, a ton of off days during the school year plus all the sick and vacation days.
I don’t even feel like I’m “working”, I get to enjoy the social life with all the other teachers, and I’m home so early in the day.
Especially in a place like Lakewood where teachers are a dime a dozen, I really do t think you should complain

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 12:02 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I’m the amother who said you are getting paid well.
I happen to also be a limudai kodesh teacher, but with more students because of department-mental in the upper grades, so even more responsibility and parents to talk to.
If you’re getting free tuition, your salary is very generous.
Honestly I feel like all jobs have responsibilities so we have to stop playing that card.
I’ll be the first to admit that teaching is a cushy job. I have summers off, a ton of off days during the school year plus all the sick and vacation days.
I don’t even feel like I’m “working”, I get to enjoy the social life with all the other teachers, and I’m home so early in the day.
Especially in a place like Lakewood where teachers are a dime a dozen, I really do t think you should complain

Not complaining at all! I love my job and all the perks though I definitely work Wink. So no complaining and no pulling cards just explaining. These are the things I tell myself when I weigh the pros and cons.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:23 pm
I appreciate all responses. If anyone else knows salary range for elementary school hebrew teacher in Lkwd, I'd appreciate hearing.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I appreciate the response. My school is offering 34k for next year ( and I get free tuition.) I realized I'm more at 12 years of experience than 10. (Don't we all imagine ourselves as younger than we are!) Would love to hear more responses.

My goodness. Can I have your job???? I was getting 28k and just 20% tuition discount in my 6th year ... If all they did was keep the salary but also give free tuition it would have been worth it to stay... But they wouldn't do it. So I had to stay home as it was cheaper to stay home and let my husband work longer hours.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:53 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
My goodness. Can I have your job???? I was getting 28k and just 20% tuition discount in my 6th year ... If all they did was keep the salary but also give free tuition it would have been worth it to stay... But they wouldn't do it. So I had to stay home as it was cheaper to stay home and let my husband work longer hours.

Was your school offering steady raises? I'm extremely grateful for the free tuition...I know just how much it adds up!

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 11:02 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
That's a very decent salary for part time, especially including tuition!
I'm OOT, 8 years experience, and I make $30k. We get free tuition because my husband is a rebbe, but morahs don't get free tuition on their own here.

Seriously though, I don't know what it's like in NY/NJ, but in the OOT cities I'm familiar with, a *full time* public school teacher would be making as little as $35-40k. Maybe up to $60k. But for full time!

In NYC DOE a full time public school teacher with 10 yrs experience is making over 100,000 plus fill pension and benefits.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 11:07 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
In NYC DOE a full time public school teacher with 10 yrs experience is making over 100,000 plus fill pension and benefits.

Yes, that's what I thought.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics