Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
No school

yo'ma

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 5:50 pm
I just found out that my kids, grades 4th and down, don't have school on thursday. Not even a half a day. I don't get it, the teachers work only a half a day and the kids don't fast. They also don't have school on Monday, not sure with that. I think it has something to do with good friday and then they get monday off too. The school my kids go to is a frum school, but they don't have school on all legal holidays (the guards don't work) and school on chol hamoed sukkos (fantastic) and school pretty much until erev pesach (mechaya).
I'm just a bit upset about Thursdsay.

Love My Babes

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 5:52 pm
yep I know, teachers are lucky ppl when it comes to time off!!!!!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 8:33 pm
Well, I'm one of those lucky people with "time off", not that I even get a moment off for the fast. I really get bothered when people talk about teacher's "time off". Here is a bit of behind the scenes look at the life of a teacher. March 3- had to be all day at the PD day, even though I only work half day a.m. March 17- completed report cards that took me pretty much every weekend for two weeks straight. I finally handed them in yesterday. Didn't even have time to wash Shabbos dishes because I went right to marking and report cards after Shabbos. I guess it was a bit my fault since I had a vort to attend on Sunday night. Monday- worked half day, then lunchtime meeting with parents, then my principal wanted to see me and had his own ideas of what to do with two of my report cards, so I was at school till 3:40 fixing them up and phoning parents who wanted to speak to me urgently. Meeting 4:15-6:15. I stayed at school till 9 pm. and did not even have energy to eat. I start work each day officially at 9, but most days I',m at school at 7:45-8:00. We have another meeting March 31 and another one April 7, after school.I have recess duty three times a week and lunch duty once a week. I am one of the lucky ones to have a job and get paid for three hours a day. And I get time off on Purim (not usually since it is a traditional school, but this year it is a non jewish holiday). Our Pesach break begins on Thurs. April 17th.

Love My Babes

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 12:32 am
hey I did not mean it in a negetive way to the teachers at all. kol hakavod, have a day off. we all know how hard teachers work, although the full time working mothers do have a harder time, because the amount of time u spend marking, they spend those hours longer at work...it works both ways. but full timers dont get off because its erev yom tov or a fast. so u are lucky when it comes to that time off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics