Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Toddler frustration

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 1:34 pm
My toddler son (under 2) isn’t great with words but he’s bH slowly but surely getting there. Very much a boy- independent, adventurous, and stubborn:)
He recently started banging his head on the floor when he gets frustrated and I feel so bad for him I can’t stand seeing him do that! I try to talk to him but at this age he just needs a way to let out his frustration physically I think... any tips/ideas? Is this normal? I don’t usually know what he’s frustrated about either it usually happens when he’s playing

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 1:39 pm
Baby signs! https://www.babysignlanguage.com/

The toddler age when they are just on the verge of becoming verbal is the most frustrating thing, EVER. They understand language perfectly, have a huge vocabulary in their head, but they aren't mature enough to express their thoughts.

When you teach a toddler baby signs, it's suddenly so much clearer what's going on. I did this with DD, and it reduced tantrums by about 80%, almost overnight.

Don't worry about it delaying spoken language. As soon as kids find out that they can talk, they will be so excited by this new skill that they will drop the signs and never look back.

DD can talk the paint off of a car, and doesn't remember signing at all. LOL

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 1:40 pm
I’m pretty sure baby sign language starts at a few months old. He’s closer to 2 than 1

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 1:42 pm
My little younger than 2 year old is beginning to have daily tantrums so that part is normal. Also head banging isn’t that abnormal.

I notice if I let my kid cry for 1-2 minutes then I can pick him up. Also distractions help. Like brining them outside or reading a book.

Just tell your kid “ouch. Don’t bang your head on the floor” and try to pick him up (he will fight you probably but better than head banging).

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 2:53 pm
😭😭😭😭
No solutions because my child is still doing it.
Started at the same age.

I've been trying so many different things and at a loss 😭😭😭

Hatzlacha

PeanutMama

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 3:07 pm
Yep. Same thing is happening with my son
He throws himself at the crib, the wall, the cabinets...oy.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 3:56 pm
Brain inflammation or head pain can cause this. I would do a Motrin trial and see if it goes away. It will help you narrow down what you are dealing with.

esther7

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 4:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m pretty sure baby sign language starts at a few months old. He’s closer to 2 than 1

You could probably teach him now I don't think it's too late. Choose a few that you think will be most useful
I actually once heard that it's good to teach sign language to toddlers who start talking late because they realize that communication gets them things easier so are more likely to start using words

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 5:42 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Brain inflammation or head pain can cause this. I would do a Motrin trial and see if it goes away. It will help you narrow down what you are dealing with.

Do you really think I need to do that? I’m pretty sure it’s a frustration thing

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 5:43 pm
esther7 wrote:
You could probably teach him now I don't think it's too late. Choose a few that you think will be most useful
I actually once heard that it's good to teach sign language to toddlers who start talking late because they realize that communication gets them things easier so are more likely to start using words

We do use a few signs but I don’t think that would help him

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 7:08 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

How does one do a motrin trial?
Do you have dosages or links to more Information by age?

Thank you

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 9:27 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
How does one do a motrin trial?
Do you have dosages or links to more Information by age?

Thank you

Regular Dose for weight every 6 hours for 3 days
Keep in mind that this doesn’t definitely rule anything in or out. But it may give you some clues.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 9:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you really think I need to do that? I’m pretty sure it’s a frustration thing
Are you able to distract him or get him to stop fairly easily? Can you identify a behavioral trigger?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 9:36 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Are you able to distract him or get him to stop fairly easily? Can you identify a behavioral trigger?

Yes. He’ll squirm in my arms but after a minute is plain crying or gets distracted

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 9:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes. He’ll squirm in my arms but after a minute is plain crying or gets distracted
Ok, this sounds less like brain inflammation or pain.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 9:46 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Regular Dose for weight every 6 hours for 3 days
Keep in mind that this doesn’t definitely rule anything in or out. But it may give you some clues.

Ok thank you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics