Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How do morahs get jobs? in NY
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 2:55 pm
I know this sounds like a very basic question, but I'm new to being frum and just recently moved from abroad to Manhattan, NYC. I have a Master's in chinuch, am frum, and want to get a position teaching Limudei Chol at a middle-school or high-school in or near Manhattan.

How does one do this? Many schools do not have websites, and I heard that many advertise by "word of mouth." But I'm an outsider to the frum NY "club." Does anyone have any ideas or tips? Thanks!

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 2:56 pm
Jed jobs
https://jedjobs-csm.symplicity.....tab=0

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 2:58 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Jed jobs
https://jedjobs-csm.symplicity.....tab=0

I saw that website. It's basically just left-wing MO schools. It does not contain many frum schools.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 3:19 pm
Lots of ads in publications like the Hamodia. If you especially want a job in a very RW school.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 3:32 pm
Would you consider a 20 min train from Manhattan? To Long Island? If so, look up kol yaakov and bnot yaakov of Great Neck.

Keep in mind teaching limudei chol in yeshivas doesn't pay so well and there's no benefits.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 3:39 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Would you consider a 20 min train from Manhattan? To Long Island? If so, look up kol yaakov and bnot yaakov of Great Neck.

Keep in mind teaching limudei chol in yeshivas doesn't pay so well and there's no benefits.

True, if you are looking for benefits and a decent salary you are better off looking for a job in an MO school (which is still frum, btw).

newmother

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 3:40 pm
Sorry, I read the post wrong

Last edited by newmother on Sun, May 09 2021, 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 3:40 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:

I am open to a 20 minute train ride,but Great Neck is over an hour by train from Manhattan.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 3:41 pm
newmother wrote:
I feel bad saying this but if you are newly frum, you will have a hard time finding a job as a limudei kodesh school that is more right wing

I said teaching Chol, not Kodesh

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 3:41 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
True, if you are looking for benefits and a decent salary you are better off looking for a job in an MO school (which is still frum, btw).

I never said anything about making lots of money. I know what chinuch is like. Money is not my motivation.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 3:42 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Lots of ads in publications like the Hamodia. If you especially want a job in a very RW school.

Thanks! I am fine with MO schools too, but not co-ed ones.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 3:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I never said anything about making lots of money. I know what chinuch is like. Money is not my motivation.

You won't make lots of money in any teaching job, nobody goes into teaching solely for the money. But just be aware many yeshivas pay well under $20,000 a year for limudei chol. (And women tend to get paid less than male teachers, too.) Not everyone can make do with that sort of salary unless they have a spouse who is the primary breadwinner or they make up the difference by getting a tuition reduction for their own kids, etc.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 3:52 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
You won't make lots of money in any teaching job, nobody goes into teaching solely for the money. But just be aware many yeshivas pay well under $20,000 a year for limudei chol. (And women tend to get paid less than male teachers, too.) Not everyone can make do with that sort of salary unless they have a spouse who is the primary breadwinner or they make up the difference by getting a tuition reduction for their own kids, etc.

Yes, I know all of this.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 4:03 pm
Google the schools in the area that you want and call.
Manhattan will have more MO leaning schools because of the crowd that lives there.
Go to shul and ask where do people send their kids.
Of the top of my head there is bruria, yeshiva ketana, Manhattan high, mtj, some Chabad schools but maybe they are only preschool.
Hatzlacha

writeread

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 4:22 pm
Lookstein.org

amother
Copper

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 4:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That's amazing. You should be matzliach. The peak trains are express and are 20-30 min rides. But lirr is expensive.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 4:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I saw that website. It's basically just left-wing MO schools. It does not contain many frum schools.

Left wing MO is frum, just not your version of it. It's fine that you don't want to teach in these schools, but please don't badmouth fellow Jews - especially ones who care so much about their kids' Jewish education that they pay for the most qualified teachers around.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 4:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I get their emails, I'm not sure if the site has different content

I'm a bit surprised at this statement, mostly bc it's not true. I see ads for BY schools in the emails. And since you have a degree and want chol job in the city, a MO school seems to be the right fit but what do I know.

I'm not MO in the slightest btw and I'd teach in most of the schools posted there. I've toured many of them.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 4:43 pm
Also be aware that since you are new to being frum and new in NY you will have a lot of competition since there are many BY graduates that get teaching jobs and are already "in".

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 5:28 pm
TAG in far rockaway is always looking same with BBY
I taught in both

southshore in 5t, darchei was just advertising too. there are tons of jobs available
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics