Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
S/O would you name after Esther Hamalka?
1  2  Next

Would you name your dd after Esther HaMalka?
No because she had a hard life  
 3%  [ 4 ]
Sure would love to  
 42%  [ 45 ]
I wouldn't have a problem but our minhag is family only  
 7%  [ 8 ]
I wouldn't have a problem but don't like the name  
 16%  [ 18 ]
Sure I already did name dd after Esther HaMalka  
 18%  [ 20 ]
Other  
 11%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 107

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 8:22 pm
Someone said she'd be worried to name a child Esther without another name because Esther Hamalka had a hard life. What do you think?

Here is the post.
agreer wrote:
Queen Esther's name wasn't malka

If anything, I'd be more worried to give the name Esther alone.

Esther malka is a beautiful name.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 8:23 pm
Most people in tanach had a hard life

Goody2shoes

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 8:27 pm
Almost every biblical name out there originates from a person with a hard life

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 8:32 pm
I would love to but I can't, as there is a grandmother with that name, shetichya

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 8:44 pm
I'm named after Esther Hamalka! That's me! Ironically, it's because the person I was really supposed to be named after had a hard life.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 8:45 pm
Have a dd by that name I love it but she lives up to it's meaning since she is disabled. Ironically, I know a disproportionately amount of Esthers who have developmental delays

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 8:48 pm
My beautiful adorable baby is named ESTHER MALKY!!! What a special name ( after my tzadekkes grandmother, btw)

trixx

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 9:02 pm
I'd rather name for her than, say, Leah (unloved)
It's irrelevant in my opinion, we don't know how these things work and the figures of tanach were extraordinarily holy. Esther petitioned anshei knesses hagedolah to include her Megillah in the canon. Chava, Sara, Rivka, rochel, these ladies didn't have an easier life than she did.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 9:18 pm
My moms name was just Esther she had a terrible life an abusive husband and a terrible

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 9:29 pm
interesting...
my daughter is named after an Esther but I wanted to add a name because unfortunately her kids aren't frum and I don't think she has any Jewish grandchildren. she had other struggles as well but was a very special person. I added the name Bracha.

Crookshanks

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 9:30 pm
I know a few Esthers, there's nothing extra good or bad about them.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 10:06 pm
My DD's name is Esther. Alone. While she is named after my husband's great aunt, I would have been totally fine with naming her after Esther HaMalka. And no, I did not want to add a name to Esther.

As others have said, most of the people in Tanach had a hard life. Were the lives of the Avos and Imahos not just as hard as Esther's? Do you think Moshe Rabbeinu's life was a picnic? The nevi'im, melachim, kohanim, Sanhedrin, Tana'im, Amorai'm... most of them had plenty of tragedy in their lives.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 10:54 pm
I chose other, because my name is Esther.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 11:00 pm
Yes I would. Actually Esther was a name I was seriously considering for my last baby.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 11:13 pm
When my baby was born right before Purim, we named her Esther. We call her Esti. She has the most pleasant personality from all of my children. (She’s not a baby anymore)

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 12:25 am
I considered naming a daughter Esther because of all the Esther's I know (and it's a very common name!) I feel neutral or positive about all of them. Another name like that is Devorah. There are names I won't mention that I won't consider because I've known too many people I don't like with the name, even though the name itself is fine.

In the end I gave my daughters names I loved the sound/meaning of, more rare names that I don't know anyone with them.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Someone said she'd be worried to name a child Esther without another name because Esther Hamalka had a hard life. What do you think?

Here is the post.

Esther HaMalka's real name was - Esther Hadassah.
We call her Esther HaMalka as in Queen Esther.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:18 am
My daughter was born Purim time and she is named Esther after Queen Esther.

She's a lovely girl thank you very much.

Queen Esther is a heroine of the Jewish People. My daughter is proud to be named after her!!

amother
Coral

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:41 am
I know a few Esthers all very cute personalities never thought of them having a harder life than others. I don’t know any esther that is disabled don’t think that’s true- probably a family name who is to say they named that child specifically after esther hamalka.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 12:09 pm
I would never dream of not naming after Esther Hamalka! Only on this site can I see this type of a question. Maybe not to name after Sarah Imeinu? She didn't have kids till 90, she was kidnapped by a king and almost raped and what not. Please........... It's so easy to get distracted with these other details instead of focusing what they DID accomplish during their lifetimes and what joy and happiness they did bring onto this world for generations to come, till the end of time.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names