Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Instilling Middot into our Kids

Tefila

Post Thu, Nov 04 2004, 10:35 pm
How do you instill sensitivity and middoh tovas into your child and at what age do you start implementing it. Question
I know what I do but b/4 I go into that, I want to find out other ideas and ways Smile

proudmom

Post Thu, Nov 04 2004, 10:55 pm
Boruch Hashem my kids have it naturally. I think the earlier the better. When they start understanding about sharing and careing for others.

miriam

Post Thu, Nov 04 2004, 11:58 pm
Modeling is a great way. If they see you being nice to thers, they will automatically copy you. I am big on Thank yous (don't know why). Now when we cross the street, my 3 year old says thank you to the car that stopped for us. I think the more you can do it subliminally the better. Don't force it on them.

Tefila

Post Sun, Nov 07 2004, 2:20 am
Proudmom
Quote:
Boruch Hashem my kids have it naturally
That is what I thought till I noticed "little" things with a couple of my kids
Miriam
Quote:
Modeling is a great way. If they see you being nice to thers, they will automatically copy you. I am big on Thank yous (don't know why). Now when we cross the street, my 3 year old says thank you to the car that stopped for us.

How true it is what they see they copy...sometimes though I feel it needs to be reinforced!
I tell my children that when someone is eigther hurt physically by falling even if it looked funny with the way it happened we are not allowed to smile, if my 2yr old gets a telling off by me etc we do not smile. when there is a fight and one gets into trouble for starting etc we are not allowed to rejoice. This is something unfortunatley that tends to be common with school, friends etc and both my hubby and I feel it is very important middoh to teach our kids and B"H it does rub off on them. We also teach our kids when they see another jew coming to shul they should say Good Shabbos or hello to acknowledge another Jew. When someone Jew or [gentile] comes to the door for money we never refuse we may give a little, but always something. We wave to our neighbors My 2 yr old had an unexpected playmate over so I could'nt prepare her about sharing. But when she gave the little boy her favourite cabbage patch doll and said it is a mitzvah to share this is instilling middohs into our children. Some of my kids are more into it then the others so we sometimes have to remind them
Anyways I am still looking for more ideas thanks

miriam

Post Sun, Nov 07 2004, 3:05 am
My parents brought us to nursing homes a lot when we were little. This laid a wonderful foundation for caring for others, especially older ones. As we got older, my mother would tell people how impressed she was with us kids on how we interacted with older people. I think it was all the time we spent talking to them when we were younger. Just an idea.

Tefila

Post Sun, Nov 07 2004, 8:43 am
miriam
Quote:
My parents brought us to nursing homes a lot when we were little. This laid a wonderful foundation for caring for others, especially older ones

Great Idea Idea Thanks:)

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 12:55 am
So any more ideas out there? Wink

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 1:22 pm
The children will behave as they see others. In your house you have control, also w/friends but the school is a different matter. If the kids leave what to be desired make sure the melamed speaks w/derech eretz and has good midos and that the school puts a value on training the child also to midos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics