Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Stimulus and no employees

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 6:05 pm
I keep on hearing from employers that they are having a very hard time finding employees these days because everyone is on unemployment and receiving stimulus money and they don’t feel like working....

Not sure if it’s right, but I’ve even heard of employers offering to pay cash, or bills or defer payment etc. so that the employee can continue on unemployment and still there are very few takers....

Is this where we are heading to?

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 6:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I keep on hearing from employers that they are having a very hard time finding employees these days because everyone is on unemployment and receiving stimulus money and they don’t feel like working....

Not sure if it’s right, but I’ve even heard of employers offering to pay cash, or bills or defer payment etc. so that the employee can continue on unemployment and still there are very few takers....

I know people who applied to jobs but having a hard time finding anything. Seems like employers are not really hiring right now presumably because they are not making money. But perhaps there can be a job shidduch thread where employers list their available jobs and those who are looking for a job respond. Lets see how many employers are actually hiring.
Oh, and Biden apparently said that if people on unemployment are offered a job then they should take it or lose unemployment so if that is true then people should start accepting jobs if the employers are actually hiring.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 6:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

are we heading - or are we there?

This to shall pass.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 6:41 pm
I was working part time in an office and the boss fired me before covid . Now on unemployment I'm making more than when I actually went out to work .
I'm not looking for another job simply because it's very hard to find a part time job where I can be home for my 3:00 bus . Everyone wants young girls not women with a family

amother
Copper

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 6:44 pm
Yes this is a huge problem. Speaking as a business owner. It's a problem for employees making 50-60 k and under because for them it's financially worthwhile not to work.
Biden said what he said but gave absolutely no direction as to how it would be enforced.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:03 pm
A friend just told me her bil is laughing at her husband for working so hard, when he is unemployed and still getting by.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:45 pm
UI fraud has always been an issue.

And yes paying off the books so a guy can get his UI benefits is fraud.

Our (US) economy is gonna collapse from this. Employers who do have employees are seeing rising unemployment rates. People who do make money will see rising tax rates. You can’t just print money with no repercussions.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:58 pm
It’s not just stimulus.
Unemployment is higher then some ppl were paid.
If you ebt you get more on your card.
If ppl make more not working why would they go back. This is really only true for low playing jobs.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 8:00 pm
PPP loans as well. I know of 2 people who are not business owners, not even self-employed but got those loans Banging head

amother
Oak

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 8:09 pm
My DH was looking, active looking; sending out resumes, reaching out to headhunters..... for many many months. BH he now has something. You need to attest that you are active looking for a job to collect unemployment. If you are not active looking and trying in earnest to get a job and taking a reasonable offer, it is fraud. It is geneiva and dishonest to claim such.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics