Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Why do some people

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 6:49 pm
Sound like they have a question mark at the end of every sentence? Why would someone put every statement in question form?

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 6:50 pm
I don't know? Maybe because they're not confident? Maybe because they were never taught punctuation? Maybe because they think in questions? I never really thought about it?

bigsis144

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 6:51 pm
“Uptalk” is a very common phenomenon in women especially. It’s often used because the person isn’t sure of themself, or because the person wants to sound less confrontational by phrasing things as a question instead of a statement.

People can be perceived as younger and less professional when they speak this way, which is a catch-22 for women who are often socialized to present themselves as subordinate and non-confrontational.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Mon, May 10 2021, 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

MrsDash

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 6:53 pm
Millennials

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 6:55 pm
Lack of self esteem
That's why I do it. Can't wait for the day when I'm going to end all my sentences in!!!

bigsis144

“Valley Girl speak”

FranticFrummie

Do you mean in their speaking voice, like a lilt at the end of each sentence?

Ugh, that annoys me SO much! IMHO, it makes you sound like a little girl, who is unsure of herself and begging for approval. I find people like that very hard to take seriously.

When I took speech and debate in high school, that was one of the very first things they worked on. That, and eliminating "um, er, like, you know" from your speech.

I never did that question lilt thing, but I am eternally grateful that the coaches were able to help me eliminate "um" from my vocabulary. Even to this day, I remember that a thoughtful pause might seem like an eternity to me, but to the audience it just sounds like reasonable pacing.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:08 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Do you mean in their speaking voice, like a lilt at the end of each sentence?

Ugh, that annoys me SO much! IMHO, it makes you sound like a little girl, who is unsure of herself and begging for approval. I find people like that very hard to take seriously.

When I took speech and debate in high school, that was one of the very first things they worked on. That, and eliminating "um, er, like, you know" from your speech.

I never did that question lilt thing, but I am eternally grateful that the coaches were able to help me eliminate "um" from my vocabulary. Even to this day, I remember that a thoughtful pause might seem like an eternity to me, but to the audience it just sounds like reasonable pacing.

While I hear you I find it painful to read. After years of craving approval and not getting it doesn't it make sense to you that I should be afraid of voicing my opinion?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:10 pm
When responding to someone I do it as a sign of not being harsh. I see it as saying perhaps this idea but I'm not pushing it on you, so I add question mark showing it's up to you to decide to use my idea or discard it.

zaq

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:33 pm
Uptalk? It's a generational thing? More females are guilty than males, but males do it too? Not realizing it makes them sound like twelve-year-olds? And not nerdy twelve-year-olds who play chess and read the NY Times but the other kind, the ones who can maybe spell their names correctly but not much more? Oddly enough I've known some rather aggressive young males who talked this way, which is truly perplexing.

Yes. irritating. but we are all products of our environment and we absorb the speech patterns of our surroundings. Probably every generation has its speech quirks that annoy the daylights out of the preceding one.

Papaya, funny that you should think it's a sign of gentleness. I often see it as a sign of FAKE gentleness that is really a threat, as in "you're going to do this now? Before I get mad and decide to crack your skull in two? Right?"

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:36 pm
zaq wrote:

Papaya, funny that you should think it's a sign of gentleness. I often see it as a sign of FAKE gentleness that is really a threat, as in "you're going to do this now? Before I get mad and decide to crack your skull in two? Right?"

Probably depends on tone and how each person uses it.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:45 pm
When I was an intern in a pre-K class a gazillion years ago I noticed several kids spoke this way. I hadn't really ever noticed it in adults before (though after noticing it in kids, I did later notice it from time to time in adults too -- yes, mostly women). I remember asking the teacher about it and she said it happens with kids who feel insecure because they feel nobody is paying attention to what they say and they become very insecure about themselves. (Not sure if this theory is valid. I was a pretty insecure child and I never spoke like that).

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:49 pm
As a Brit my American friends accused me of this often.
Just a FYI
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics