Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What do you consider an openminded person?
1  2  Next

Mommy

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 6:56 pm
Just curious to hear opinions on this. What do you think openminded means? When you say you or someone else is openminded, what do you mean by that?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:08 pm
They are open to other people’s thoughts, opinions, derachim, are knowledgeable about worldly matters, don’t live inside a bubble.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:09 pm
Someone who researches both sides of an argument and doesn't just follow the herd.

justtrying90

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:09 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
They are open to other people’s thoughts, opinions, derachim, are knowledgeable about worldly matters, don’t live inside a bubble.

This.

jkl

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:12 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

This, with the addition that they're open to self-introspection. They're open to the idea that there can be faults with the way they've been doing something.

shmoosh

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:18 pm
Someone who despite what they believe and do, are open to loving other ppl who are not exactly like them without judgement or trying to change them; also realizing that these people are doing what works for them. Also, someone who is willing to learn more.

squirrel

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:20 pm
An open minded person is someone who can see and hear another viewpoint other than their own, an open minded person can be more accepting of others and non judgemental.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:24 pm
squirrel wrote:
An open minded person is someone who can see and hear another viewpoint other than their own, an open minded person can be more accepting of others and non judgemental.

Don't agree with you on "non-judgmental".

The Torah is very clear on what is GOOD and what is EVIL.

Today's Evil Leaders encourage people do be "non-judgmental" for obvious reasons.

(because they are Evil)

silverlining3

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:27 pm
One who is open to listening other opinions and wanting to learn.
Understanding and accepting that their way isn't the only way. Everyone does what works best for them.

Basically, it's you do you, I do me, and we can STILL be friends.

Last edited by silverlining3 on Mon, May 10 2021, 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

southernbubby

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:31 pm
I am not open minded but sometimes I am just going to give the person their own way because nothing terrible will happen if I give up trying to control the situation.

singleagain

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:41 pm
What is the difference between tolerance and oppression?

Tolerance is I can't do that It's against my beliefs.
Oppression is YOU can't do that it's against my beliefs.

Someone who practices tolerance is open-minded

avrahamama

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 7:43 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I am not open minded but sometimes I am just going to give the person their own way because nothing terrible will happen if I give up trying to control the situation.

This is so wise!

#BestBubby

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 8:01 pm
singleagain wrote:
What is the difference between tolerance and oppression?

Tolerance is I can't do that It's against my beliefs.
Oppression is YOU can't do that it's against my beliefs.

Someone who practices tolerance is open-minded

Should people "tolerate" slavery, saying

"I am personally opposed but you don't have to follow my opinion" ?

Was abolishing slavery "oppression"?

singleagain

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 8:08 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Should people "tolerate" slavery, saying

"I am personally opposed but you don't have to follow my opinion" ?

Was abolishing slavery "oppression"?

I didn't want to say that initially I saw that with religion specifically religion. The difference between religious tolerance and religious oppression.

I can't do that It's against my religion. Is religious tolerance.

You can't do that It's against my religion. Is religious oppression.

I was afraid that if I would say something about specifically religious tolerance and oppression that people would start to claim that I'm not a religious Jew which is ridiculous because I am I just believe that we can get along with everybody.

I don't have to agree with everybody. But I can get along with them. That's being open-minded. that's being tolerant.

applesbananas

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 8:10 pm
We all know the saying “so open minded, your brains fell out”
Your allowed to have principles and stand by them. We’re also allowed to be aware that we can only change ourselves, not the world. So being tolerant of things we can’t change is “open minded”

daagahminayin

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 8:12 pm
According to a shadchan I once went to, the guy was open-minded because he’d occasionally wear sneakers... What

dankbar

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 8:17 pm
In shidduchim shprach openminded is hint word for more "with it," out of the box, sometimes maybe more modern than the crowd, neighborhood person is living in. Sometimes "more" like standing out among his peers.
Sometimes just smart, worldly, knowledgable, a mensch among menschen, & not farfrumt, "chaniok" not "tzikvetcht" narrowminded in his crowd with ultra chumros, seeing only their way as right. Just more accepting of other people.

singleagain

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 8:23 pm
To clarify, When you live opposed to everything and anti this and anti that I think that that is the opposite of open-minded. To realize that yours is not the only legitimate view is closed-minded.

Again not saying you have to agree with everything not saying that you have to condone but you also don't have to be anti either.

southernbubby

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 8:23 pm
dankbar wrote:
In shidduchim shprach openminded is hint word for more "with it," out of the box, sometimes maybe more modern than the crowd, neighborhood person is living in. Sometimes "more" like standing out among his peers.
Sometimes just smart, worldly, knowledgable, a mensch among menschen, & not farfrumt, "chaniok" not "tzikvetcht" narrowminded in his crowd with ultra chumros, seeing only their way as right. Just more accepting of other people.

Open minded might also mean going out with someone outside of the usual age range or family background.

English3

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 2:46 am
I think it means accepting that different people have different thoughts and actions to you, (which you don't have to approve of or like). However I hear people using this word to mean someone more modern.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics