Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bread machine recommendation

jf

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 4:14 pm
My Zojirushi Supreme died and I would ilke to replace it. I make challah dough in in every week--I never use it for anything else. It's expensive to replace, so I'm looking for recommendations for a different, similar size and concept, bread machine. Any ideas?! Thank you.

BatyaEsther

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 4:26 pm
I’ve been using my Cuisinart CBK -200 to make challah dough every week. It’s been about 1.5 years.
It doesn’t make enough for a bracha and I can’t tell you how long it will last, but I am very happy with it.

Persevere

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 4:38 pm
I am so happy with my Panasonic SD-YD250. I bought for around $70 a few years ago, and it works great. I only use it for dough and it only holds a recipe with about 6-7 cups flour. (I can give you some recipes if you want.)

imasinger

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 4:39 pm
What's the issue with your zojirushi, is it really dead? We've resuscitated ours a few times, and it's still great.

jf

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 4:41 pm
imasinger wrote:
What's the issue with your zojirushi, is it really dead? We've resuscitated ours a few times, and it's still great.

It caught on fire!

challahchallah

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 5:04 pm
jf wrote:
It caught on fire!

Wow! How on earth did that happen?! I’m dying for the full story. I’m a Zojirushi fan. I had my last one for over a decade before I decided to replace (using it at minimum once a week for challah dough, but often more). I’ve had my latest one only for 3 years but it still works great.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 5:28 pm
If it’s just for kneading doesn’t matter so much. Go with whatever is cheapest and has ok reviews

Imma613

Post Fri, May 21 2021, 10:25 am
My panasonic sd yd-250 just broke. Any recommendations? I need something with a relatively short dough cycle as that is one of my primary uses. We make pizza dough almost weekly and I make challah dough using the same 45-minute pizza dough cycle every friday. Does anyone have a bread machine (preferably in the 100 range or lower Very Happy ) that has a short dough option? So far everything I have looked at has a 90-min dough cycle.

Persevere

Post Fri, May 21 2021, 10:41 am
Were you happy with your panasonic? How long did you have it for before it broke?

Sometimes cheaper appliances break more often, but the price difference still makes you come out on top.

Imma613

Post Fri, May 21 2021, 11:06 am
Not sure how long we have had it but a good 8 years I believe. And my husband actually just fixed it!! Hooray The paddle gets jammed in place every once in a while (like maybe 1x a year) and he managed to loosen it (it involved a hammer LOL )

lkwdlady

Post Fri, May 21 2021, 11:29 am
Can someone explain how it works to bake challah in the bread machine? Do you just use the machine for kneading dough or for baking too? If you bake in it , does that mean you have to do it twice to get 2 challahs for shabbos?
I once inquired on here about purchasing a bread machine but whoever responded discouraged it. This this seems very positive.

Imma613

Post Fri, May 21 2021, 11:33 am
I don't bake challah in it. I use it to mix my challah dough, then shape it and let it rise at least an hour. You can bake bread in a bread machine but it comes out like a big square or rectangle loaf so yes you would need to make multiple loaves to have lechem mishna for a couple of meals.

Persevere

Post Fri, May 21 2021, 12:39 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
Can someone explain how it works to bake challah in the bread machine? Do you just use the machine for kneading dough or for baking too? If you bake in it , does that mean you have to do it twice to get 2 challahs for shabbos?
I once inquired on here about purchasing a bread machine but whoever responded discouraged it. This this seems very positive.

I am so happy with my bread machine. I consider it one of my best ever purchases. I use it almost every week. A couple of years after I got married, I stopped baking my own challah (time, effort, and it didn't always come out perfect). With this bread machine it is literally the easiest thing.

Personally I only use it for the dough. I switch up the recipe frequently because I like the variety, and the dough always comes out perfect for me. You just put in all the ingredients (don't even need to mix) 2 hours later it beeps and your perfect, already risen dough is waiting for you.

I'm no people who also use it for baking, more like during the week. There is a setting you can set a timer so that you have a fresh loaf of baked bread in the morning for breakfast. I never mastered that part of it.

In terms of dough, most bread machines can handle around 5 to 7 cups of flour. For us, it's more than enough for one shabbos for our family of five. If you have a very large meal you might need to run it twice to get enough - still really not a big deal and much easier than making your own dough.

AishesChayil1

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 10:12 pm
Is there a difference preparing the dough in a bread machine vs. a Bosch?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics