Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Whipped cream cheese or block cream cheese

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:06 pm
When a cheesecake recipe calls for cream cheese which kind am I meant to use?Whipped or block? Are they interchangeable?

hodeez

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:06 pm
Doesn't matter you will whip it any way

egam

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 10:10 pm
For a baked cheesecake I use whatever I have on hand. Never noticed a difference.
For no bake, I would probably stick with block.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 11:18 pm
If a recipe specifies cream cheese, it means block cream cheese.

If you want the best results in baking you need to follow directions for ingredients and weights as written. Regular dishes can be modified but baking recipes are very much like chemistry in terms of how the ingredients react to create the best result.

The classic New York style cream cheese cake is made with block cream cheese.

lucky14

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 11:26 pm
Block. Not sure what would happen if you used whipped but the recipes mean for you to use a block of cream cheese.

jflower

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 11:32 pm
Wow. I'm very surprised by some of these answers. I've always used whipped cream cheese in my cheesecakes and they come out great. I thought it would be too difficult to use the mixer on a block of cream cheese so I began to use the whipped cheese and never had a reason to change.

Also the whipped cream cheese comes in the reduced fat version and that's what I prefer to use.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 11:58 pm
It’s not difficult to use block cream cheese. For best results, baking recipes generally specify ingredients at room temperature. You don’t cream butter straight from the refrigerator. The exception is when you are making pie crusts or puff pastry which need the fat to be cold so that it forms layers which gives it the flakiness of really good pastry. And cookie dough should be refrigerated after mixing amd even after placing on cookie sheet for best results.

The iconic New York style cheesecake is made with full fat block cream cheese. Maybe people have gotten used to commercial cakes that use cheaper ingredients and produce a less sublime cheesecake.

Amd for best results, bake the cheesecake in a Bain Marie (water bath) as this produces the creamiest end result.

smile18

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:07 am
I only use the whipped cream cheese even for recipes that ask for block.
Only had good experience

Hatemywig

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:08 am
Block.

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:15 am
Amarante wrote:
It’s not difficult to use block cream cheese. For best results, baking recipes generally specify ingredients at room temperature. You don’t cream butter straight from the refrigerator. The exception is when you are making pie crusts or puff pastry which need the fat to be cold so that it forms layers which gives it the flakiness of really good pastry. And cookie dough should be refrigerated after mixing amd even after placing on cookie sheet for best results.

The iconic New York style cheesecake is made with full fat block cream cheese. Maybe people have gotten used to commercial cakes that use cheaper ingredients and produce a less sublime cheesecake.

Amd for best results, bake the cheesecake in a Bain Marie (water bath) as this produces the creamiest end result.

Not worthy Not worthy Not worthy

jflower

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:56 am
Amarante wrote:

Thanks for this explanation! Who knew?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen