Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to get rid of label on a child

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:02 pm
My child was in a terrible school with a director that didn’t belong in chinuch. Said director decided to label my child as having issues. We have since moved but the new school heard from the director and has decided the issues have to be true. They have not seen the issues but they insist on a full evaluation. She has passed all past evaluations and been cleared of having issues but they still insist that each little thing that crops up is a sign that we need to test again. Is there any way for her to ever move in from this and be seen for who she is instead of them jumping on so called signs to prove the original director right? I feel like her school experience is ruined and the focus isn’t about her actual growth and success but about proving whether she has issues or not. Has anyone dealt with this and had success in getting a school to not see her through those colored glasses? In general we are happy with the new school and when we were deciding where to send all said this same thing so not sure a school change will help at all at this point. Clearly the director gave over wonderful information.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 6:48 pm
OP, I really feel for you. We had the same issue with our dd.
It was terrible. The only way we were able to completely rid her of the labels was by enrolling her in public school. Without her labels she blossomed and did amazing!

amother
Teal

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 6:51 pm
You might need to do another evaluation.

imasinger

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 6:52 pm
It often takes proper advocacy.

That's can sometimes come from a parent, but is more convincing to the school if it's a professional.

My advice is to go for the evaluation, because it will possibly be the most effective route forward, then have the evaluator meet with the school and review the findings and answer any questions.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 6:59 pm
I don't understand why the new school would trust the opinion of the other director, who
is not qualified to diagnose, over the evaluators who ARE qualified to diagnose and say
your child does NOT have any issues. (B"H).

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 7:02 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I don't understand why the new school would trust the opinion of the other director, who
is not qualified to diagnose, over the evaluators who ARE qualified to diagnose and say
your child does NOT have any issues. (B"H).

Because people get set in their beliefs, and will find supporting evidence, and totally disregard logic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics