Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Any parrot owners on Imamother?
1  2  3  4  Next

midiskirts

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:19 pm
Just curious! I'll go first - we have a rainbow budgie and we're looking to add a crimson-bellied conure to our home.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:57 pm
You must be unique. We owned parakeets years ago.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 5:20 pm
Not parrots, but we had parakeets for a long time. My kids would love to have birds again, but with all the traveling we do these days, it's just too difficult.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 5:24 pm
We currently have budgies as well. I would love a bigger bird but dh isnt really on board.
I technically have an african grey that lives with my parents Laugh - I got him from someone looking to rehome him a bit before I got engaged.
Does that count?

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 5:37 pm
I remember someone asking about Pesach food for parrots. Don't remember who. Maybe she'll log in later.

midiskirts

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 5:54 pm
Re: travelling - totally hear you. I know there are bird sitters who will take birds into their home, but I'm anxious about my bird catching anything.

midiskirts

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 6:00 pm
Re: Pesach - I posted on Avian Avenue last year. I try to keep on top of my bird's nutrition, so a seed-only diet wasn't an option, and I was looking for others' experience. Definitely mixed responses, people weren't big fans of having pets avoid chametz for chag. BH we made it through - I'm in the middle of writing a separate post about our experience.

midiskirts

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 6:01 pm
Ooooo African grays! Definitely challenging, but such clever birds; does he have a favourite person?

MrsDash

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 6:49 pm
Love, love, love this thread!

My Caique is my baby. I got her when she was about 2 weeks old, and handfed her for over 5 months. She's the weirdest little thing too! Go on youtube and look up caiques and you'll see what I'm talking about Rolling Laughter

midiskirts

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 7:00 pm
I LOVE caiques, they look like so much fun! Does she do that classic caique hop? I wish we could share pics and videos on here!

midiskirts

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 7:00 pm
Also what was it like weaning her?? I've heard such a range of experiences, it sounds like a very intimidating process.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 7:06 pm
MrsDash wrote:
Love, love, love this thread!

My Caique is my baby. I got her when she was about 2 weeks old, and handfed her for over 5 months. She's the weirdest little thing too! Go on youtube and look up caiques and you'll see what I'm talking about Rolling Laughter

Yay! You're back!

For some reason, I've been thinking a lot about you lately. You must have gotten my messages. LOL

little neshamala

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 7:57 pm
midiskirts wrote:
I LOVE caiques, they look like so much fun! Does she do that classic caique hop? I wish we could share pics and videos on here!

You can share pictures here and I would love to see! Please do!

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 8:25 pm
We have a cockatiel. I make the food myself. We got a recipe somewhere online and make a huge batch once a year. We also feel all fruit & veg scraps from the kitchen. Travel is difficult to get a sitter. But easier than other pets.

Pesach we feed millet & quinoa with fruits & veg.

midiskirts

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 8:30 pm
Have you tried making sprouts? They're really easy and so nutritious. Additionally, HARI makes a nutrient supplement you can mix and feed with mashed banana: https://hari.ca/our-products/b.....rds/.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 8:36 pm
midiskirts wrote:
Ooooo African grays! Definitely challenging, but such clever birds; does he have a favourite person?

He doesn't have just one favorite person. But he doesn't see all of us (married kids) regularly so idk if he would have a favorite if we were living at home with him all the time.

He makes us laugh a lot and seems to have a sense of humor.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 8:43 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
We have a cockatiel. I make the food myself. We got a recipe somewhere online and make a huge batch once a year. We also feel all fruit & veg scraps from the kitchen. Travel is difficult to get a sitter. But easier than other pets.

Pesach we feed millet & quinoa with fruits & veg.

We've been thinking of getting a cockatiel...elementary school aged kids, no real pet experience, though everyone is begging for a pet.
Would you recommend it?

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 8:57 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
We've been thinking of getting a cockatiel...elementary school aged kids, no real pet experience, though everyone is begging for a pet.
Would you recommend it?

Yes, I researched pets hundreds of times before and after. It is an excellent choice.

Cost- low
Work - low
Smart/interactive- best available for a low effort pet
Noise- low for a bird
Mess- restricted to cage area
Guests- are not scared of a little bird
Bungalow- easy to bring along

We got ours when children were around same age as yours.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 9:00 pm
midiskirts wrote:
Have you tried making sprouts? They're really easy and so nutritious. Additionally, HARI makes a nutrient supplement you can mix and feed with mashed banana: https://hari.ca/our-products/b.....rds/.

We sprout for the human family members regularly but somebody eats like a picky toddler, or should I say, a bird? No sale.

It takes us lots of time and patience to get new foods to go.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 9:08 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Yes, I researched pets hundreds of times before and after. It is an excellent choice.

Cost- low
Work - low
Smart/interactive- best available for a low effort pet
Noise- low for a bird
Mess- restricted to cage area
Guests- are not scared of a little bird
Bungalow- easy to bring along

We got ours when children were around same age as yours.

Thank you. Quick google searches led me to that conclusion, which is why we're considering it..

I like that you said the mess is restricted to the cage area...have you ever tried potyy training yours to go only in the cage? Ive read its possible but not sure how difficult it is ...
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets