Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How long to wait after vomiting
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 12:40 am
My 5 mo old is sick. Burning up, just tried tylonel and he gagged on it and vomited. He us very warm, how long do I wait to try tylonel again?

momof2+?

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 12:43 am
Did he swallow the entire dose and then vomit? Or gagged on the first bit? Any idea how much might still be in his system?

Editing to add- poor baby!!! If you are really unsure, giving him a not too warm bath can also help bring down the fever for a bit. Keep feeding him so he x get dehydrated. Whenever he makes a wet diaper he is letting out heat as well. Refuah shelaima!

enneamom

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 12:46 am
If you have any tylenol suppositories, that's the best way to get medicine into vomiting kids.

If there's no 24 hour pharmacy nearby, a medicine gemach might have.

I just realized you wrote 5 month old. How high is the fever? You have to be careful at that age.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 12:50 am
102.2 under arm.
As soon as the tylonel got in his mouth, he only nurses and cant take the taste. He ate well before tylenol but now threw up everything
No 24 h pharmacy here

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 12:52 am
Bath sounds good, were both covered in vomit

enneamom

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 12:54 am
I just googled and saw that underarm temperature can be as much as 2 degrees lower than rectal temperature. That is high for a 5 month old. Can you call your pediatrician's answering service?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 12:56 am
That’s a very high fever for a 5 month old!
Please call the doctor ASAP

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 1:00 am
Sad ok I will

enneamom

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 1:00 am
This is how to get an unwilling baby to swallow medicine:

Fill a syringe with the right amount of medicine

Hold baby, wearing a bib, cradled in your elbow so his head can lean back over your arm. Have a pacifier ready

Put the syringe in baby's mouth, with the tip of it in the back corner of one side, by the cheek, but all the way back. If baby won't open his mouth, you can gently squeeze his cheeks to get him to open

Squirt a little bit of medicine into the back corner of the mouth, then immediately put pacifier in mouth to prevent spitting and get baby to swallow

Repeat, little by little, giving baby a chance to calm down in between squirts, until the syringe is empty

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 1:03 am
enneamom wrote:
This is how to get an unwilling baby to swallow medicine:

Fill a syringe with the right amount of medicine

Hold baby, wearing a bib, cradled in your elbow so his head can lean back over your arm. Have a pacifier ready

Put the syringe in baby's mouth, with the tip of it in the back corner of one side, by the cheek, but all the way back. If baby won't open his mouth, you can gently squeeze his cheeks to get him to open

Squirt a little bit of medicine into the back corner of the mouth, then immediately put pacifier in mouth to prevent spitting and get baby to swallow

Repeat, little by little, giving baby a chance to calm down in between squirts, until the syringe is empty

I tried basically this but he hates pacifiers too

enneamom

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 1:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I tried basically this but he hates pacifiers too

Did you get through to the doctor? If it's really 104 rectally, that's very high

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 1:11 am
Waiting for their call back, gonna try to get rectal

enneamom

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 1:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Waiting for their call back, gonna try to get rectal

Hang in there! Poor little guy.

This might be helpful, about fever in infants:

https://www.seattlechildrens.o.....nths/

imaima

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 1:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 5 mo old is sick. Burning up, just tried tylonel and he gagged on it and vomited. He us very warm, how long do I wait to try tylonel again?

Try a suppository.
If he vomited immediately, there is no tylenol in his system.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 1:40 am
Rectal was also 102. If we did it right. Spoke to pediatrician, said to skip the tylonel if he cant tolerate it and just get him back to sleep. He is falling asleep now, I think the bath tired him out.
Thanks for the support, I think we're ok now.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 5:15 am
Please give your baby a suppository]. Its anyway recommended under 6 months not to give oral meds.
Refuah sheleimah!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 5:32 am
A great way to get a baby to cool off, is to give them a cool wet washcloth to play with and chew on. Wring it out so it's not sopping wet, and don't have it really cold. Tap water temp is fine.

Every once and a while put the washcloth on their forehead or tummy. It works wonders, really quickly. Just keep a close eye to make sure that baby isn't getting chilled.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Rectal was also 102. If we did it right. Spoke to pediatrician, said to skip the tylonel if he cant tolerate it and just get him back to sleep. He is falling asleep now, I think the bath tired him out.
Thanks for the support, I think we're ok now.

I hope your baby is feeling better now L
Was the 102 rectal after the bath?

enneamom

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:17 am
OP, how is your baby doing today?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:40 am
enneamom wrote:
OP, how is your baby doing today?

Thanks for asking
At 4am he had 104. Was so scary. His face was bright red. Thank goodness I was able to get tylonel into him at that point and fever went down. He woke up at 8 with no fever and is back asleep now.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics