Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
What am I supposed to do when I wake up (halachically)?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:53 am
Thank you

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 8:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you

In terms of what? I mean, you posted this in “the social scene” so....

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 9:18 am
You know, I was going to immediately react: We open one eye, we open two. We say Modeh Ani cause that means thank You. We wash our hentelach six times [some do 8] that's true. That's what every Jewish boy and girl must do.

I assume you know this.
Do you mean if you wake up in the middle of the night?
Do you mean, can I linger in bed as long as I don't touch any part of my body?
There are a lot of good questions one can have.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 9:47 am
These are the laws of the morning, in order, as according to the kitzur shulchan aruch (siman 1 and 2)

1. A person should say mode ani while still in bed, as the first thing to do in the morning is thank Hashem. It is ok to say in bed bc it does not contain Hashems name
2. Get out of bed with speed and alacrity, like a lion, to serve Hashem. Example kitzur gives, is if a person had tasks for a king, he would get out of bed with great speed to complete them. If he had to save his own property from loss, like a fire, he would get out of bed with speed. We should use the same urgency to wake up and get out of bed each morning so we can serve Hashem
3. Netilas Yadayim. A person should not touch any orifice of their body before washing. They should also not touch any food. A person cannot walk more than 4 amos before washing, which is somewhere between 6.3 and 7.6 ft. A lot of people will fill up a cup in a basin and have on their night table. A man should put on his tzisis first, to not walk without them, but wait until after washing to recite the bracha
4. For washing, you should pick up the cup with your right hand, transfer to your left hand, then wash your right hand. Then transfer cup to your right hand, and wash left. Do this 3 times. The water should reach your wrists, but in pressing situations can go up to your knuckles
5. One cannot benefit from the discarded water. If using a basin, it needs to be spilled out somewhere where people will not walk on it
6. We should also wash our face, and the inside of our mouth (since we can have stale saliva and our mouth should be pure when we say Hashems name)
7. Since most people need to use the bathroom in the morning, and you cannot say any blessing if you need to use the restroom, a person should use the bathroom after washing netilas yadayim, but before reciting the bracha. After relieving their organs, they should wash netilas yadayim again, and then say the bracha, followed by asher yatzar
8. If a person sleeps for at least 60 breaths, about half an hour, then they need to wash netilas yadayim again
9. If a person stayed awake all night, they should wash netilas yadayim but not say the bracha, since there is a question of whether he should wash or not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics