Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Occupational therapy for preteen?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 9:47 am
I believe my 12 year old son should have received o/t services when he was younger. Nobody recommended it at the time, I didn't think of it, and I therefore never applied for it. It just never crossed my mind.

Since then, my two next children were referred for o/t services in preschool and B"H received the services.

Once I became familiar with the benefits of o/t, through the services my younger children are receiving, it became glaringly obvious to me that my 12 year old son lost out by not recieving those same services when he was younger. He has had, and continues to have to some degree, coordination issues, fine motor issues, and focusing issues- nothing major, but enough that some support would have been, and would currently be, helpful.

How would I go about accessing private occupational therapy services for an older child? I have absolutely no idea how to navigate this outside the preschool system. I know how to navigate the early intervention system, but that's about it

Can anyone advise?

Thank you

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 10:14 am
Start with his PCP for a recommendation. If you live in the US you may need a referral from
Him/her anyway.

If you post your location you may be able to get some recommendations.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:31 am
You'd ask the pediatrician about it and if he/she agrees the services may be necessary they will refer you for an evaluation. If the evaluation shows he does need the services then you will be able to schedule therapy sessions. It's pretty straightforward.

oneofakind

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:54 am
Ask around for a good OT and make an appointment for an assessment. Many pediatrician don't know enough about it to provide an accurate opinion although if your insurance requires it, you may have to deal with them.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 4:27 pm
Thank you all.

My second grade daughter receives in-school o/t services through the CSE. I think her o/t is fantastic. Would I ask her if she would see my son privately? Or would that require a different certification to work privately with older kids? Like some are certified through the Bd of Ed and some see clients privately?

And does insurance usually cover these services? Obviously I'm not paying for my younger kids o/t services because they're being provided through the Bd of Ed..... Or would the Bd of Ed give a child my son's age an IEP for o/t (if he qualifies)?

Thank you very much.

(Yes, im seriously clueless.)

oneofakind

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 4:55 pm
I'm sure the OT herself can provide a lot of information.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 5:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all.

My second grade daughter receives in-school o/t services through the CSE. I think her o/t is fantastic. Would I ask her if she would see my son privately? Or would that require a different certification to work privately with older kids? Like some are certified through the Bd of Ed and some see clients privately?

And does insurance usually cover these services? Obviously I'm not paying for my younger kids o/t services because they're being provided through the Bd of Ed..... Or would the Bd of Ed give a child my son's age an IEP for o/t (if he qualifies)?

Thank you very much.

(Yes, im seriously clueless.)

You can ask her if she does private as well as school based.

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 2:08 pm
I’m looking for information on this as well

Does anyone know of amazing ot that does teenagers?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics