Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is this typical of special ed programs?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:10 am
My fourth child is now in UPK (pre-kindergarten, or whatever you call two classes before first grade.) I recently got a phone call from her school asking if I have plans for her next year, because one of the local special ed programs was at the school, looking for kids for their program for the upcoming school year. I’ve never heard of that before. Programs approaching parents? Isn’t it usually the parents who approach the program?

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:31 am
I don't know if this is typical, but I will tell you what we were told regarding my child who is in a special needs preschool and transitioning to a regular school next year BEZ"H. A child who will be able to flourish and keep up with a regular school, sending them to a special needs school will be restricting, as the peers they are with will be at a lower functioning level than they are. (Therefore, they feel that my child should join a regular school environment next year.)

However, as a parent you know your child best. There are times when a child won't flourish in a regular school or has learning or developmental disabilities holding them back. That's when these special programs can be very helpful in getting your child to succeed.

In the past couple of years, has it ever come up that she was behind her peers developmentally or academically? If not, I would be super wary. Don't be bullied into putting your child into a special needs program if she doesn't need it. On the other hand, if she does, you can be giving her the best recipe for success.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:33 am
If they are starting a new mainstream program then they may be approaching potential customers, because people wouldn't think to send to them otherwise if their child doesn't have special needs.

A special ed program's mainstream option can be a great way to get your kid some extra TLC even if they don't have extra needs.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:51 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
I don't know if this is typical, but I will tell you what we were told regarding my child who is in a special needs preschool and transitioning to a regular school next year BEZ"H. A child who will be able to flourish and keep up with a regular school, sending them to a special needs school will be restricting, as the peers they are with will be at a lower functioning level than they are. (Therefore, they feel that my child should join a regular school environment next year.)

However, as a parent you know your child best. There are times when a child won't flourish in a regular school or has learning or developmental disabilities holding them back. That's when these special programs can be very helpful in getting your child to succeed.

In the past couple of years, has it ever come up that she was behind her peers developmentally or academically? If not, I would be super wary. Don't be bullied into putting your child into a special needs program if she doesn't need it. On the other hand, if she does, you can be giving her the best recipe for success.

She is not behind, and she is not in a special ed program.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 11:54 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
If they are starting a new mainstream program then they may be approaching potential customers, because people wouldn't think to send to them otherwise if their child doesn't have special needs.

A special ed program's mainstream option can be a great way to get your kid some extra TLC even if they don't have extra needs.

I haven’t heard anything about this program opening up a mainstream program, but that’s interesting.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 12:39 pm
Possibly an integrated program in need of “mainstream” kids

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 12:44 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Possibly an integrated program in need of “mainstream” kids

Oh, I didn’t think of that either, I don’t know if they have an integrated class but if they do that would make sense. I always wondered how the mainstream kids in my other child’s pre-k class ended up there years ago....

miami85

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 12:49 pm
Could be they have an integrated/co-teaching program and the tendency for the "regular" side is to try to find good role-model kids for the non-IEP side.

There are laws called "child find" if there is a suspected delay that schools are supposed to recommend kids for testing so that kids don't fall through the cracks.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 13 2021, 2:01 pm
miami85 wrote:
Could be they have an integrated/co-teaching program and the tendency for the "regular" side is to try to find good role-model kids for the non-IEP side.

There are laws called "child find" if there is a suspected delay that schools are supposed to recommend kids for testing so that kids don't fall through the cracks.

Those laws are for the current school though, not for a school she will be attending in September. Meaning her current school can recommend testing and evaluation, but the school she will be attending in September can’t because they don’t know her yet.

amother
Red

Post Sat, May 22 2021, 9:42 pm
I'm just wondering what school this is? I am in search of schools with intergrated classes in Brooklyn

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 22 2021, 11:15 pm
Not in Brooklyn, sorry :-(
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics