Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Good New Frum Novels?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:09 am
Jamilla by Rachel Berger

Just came out Pesach time,although it's already basically out of print. They are going to do another run though.

And if you listen closely, that is the sound of me tooting my own horn. Smile

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:11 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Jamilla by Rachel Berger

Just came out Pesach time,although it's already basically out of print. They are going to do another run though.

What is it about?

Kiwi13

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:12 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Jamilla by Rachel Berger

Oooh congrats!! That’s awesome!!

Goody2shoes

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:37 am
Wow was good!
Can we do an interview with you here?
What inspired you to write it?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 2:37 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Jamilla by Rachel Berger

Actually in middle of it right now and came here to suggest it! I’m really enjoying it so far and I’m a (very) critical reader.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 4:04 am
alwayssmiling wrote:
Wow was good!
Can we do an interview with you here?
What inspired you to write it?

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! A number of factors inspired me to write it. I live across the hill from the actual village of Isawiya, and interacting with people from there definitely gave me the setting for the story. A friend casually mentioning how many women she has seen with black eyes and bruises from Isawiya gave me my characters.

After that, research for the book led me to read about Arab history and mentality, which led me to modern-day NGOs, which blasted my mind open, and after that, the story basically wrote itself. I held the pen steady as it wrote itself, so there's that. Smile

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 4:10 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
What is it about?

https://www.israelbookshoppubl.....6.htm

Although I wouldn't define it as a thriller. Its just as much of a drama. I guess it's sort of a cross-genre, which is my favorite style of writing because if it's a straight up drama, how long can you read about two people in a room talking? And if it's just action, then you dont feel anything for the characters. So this is both, and yes, I definitely talk too much when people ask questions about my books, thanks for asking.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 4:11 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Actually in middle of it right now and came here to suggest it! I’m really enjoying it so far and I’m a (very) critical reader.

Heart I'm so happy you're enjoying it! And I love critical readers. Smile

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 4:11 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Oooh congrats!! That’s awesome!!

Thank you!

Goody2shoes

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 4:25 am
Another question for you
I read tons and whatever I can get my hands on. I pride myself on my memory but when it comes to authors I'm a lost case.
I enjoyed this one alot and would love to read your others
Can you jog my memory a d remind me which other books you have written?

amother
Gray

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 4:31 am
I read To Be Continued and really liked it. Yes, it was originally written in Hebrew and it’s translated. What I liked was that it’s a story about a woman who remarried and the challenges she faced. She had children from before, he had children and then they have their own child together. I especially enjoyed the book because I am married to someone who has children from a previous marriage. You can only relate to the challenges if you’re going through something similar. I’m pretty sure the author, Devorah Rand is using her pen name but I would love to get in touch with her.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 5:06 am
alwayssmiling wrote:
Another question for you
I read tons and whatever I can get my hands on. I pride myself on my memory but when it comes to authors I'm a lost case.
I enjoyed this one alot and would love to read your others
Can you jog my memory a d remind me which other books you have written?

I am literally the worst with names in general, so no need to explain!

All Fall Down is also by Rachel Berger, but it's actually also out of print. They are going to do another run, though. Or maybe there's still random copies in some bookstores.

New book will be out hopefully sukkos-time! I'll try to update this thread then.

Hatemywig

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 5:14 am
runninglate wrote:
I really enjoyed Is this the Daughter I raised? By Esther Zirkind. But it’s not light reading at all if that’s what you’re looking for. Very sad story

Very intense, but so well written. Get your tissues ready!

Goody2shoes

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 5:18 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
I am literally the worst with names in general, so no need to explain!

All Fall Down is also by Rachel Berger, but it's actually also out of print. They are going to do another run, though. Or maybe there's still random copies in some bookstores.

New book will be out hopefully sukkos-time! I'll try to update this thread then.

All fall down is the 9-11 book? With daniella? I loved that ones tons!! Is it ok if I admit to liking it more then jamila?😉
Please update when you give out another one!
I love your books

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 6:45 am
alwayssmiling wrote:
All fall down is the 9-11 book? With daniella? I loved that ones tons!! Is it ok if I admit to liking it more then jamila?😉
Please update when you give out another one!
I love your books

Daniella is more likable and relatable, I think, while Yaffa is a little impenetrable because of the double culture difference. So I totally get liking All Fall Down more.

I'm so glad you enjoy my books, and I'll give a holler when the new one comes out, BeH!

freilich

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:30 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Jamilla by Rachel Berger

Just read it and enjoyed it very much! Was a light thriller read, something thats hard to come across.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 10:12 am
I don't know if anyone suggested this yet: Yedidya! (exclamation point mine.)

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 10:15 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Not a novel but really, really, really enjoying Living Legend by Nachman Seltzer about the Disco Rabbi, Rabbi Grossman

Recently read Libby Lazewnik's newish one, forgot what it's called, Set me free maybe? Pretty good.
I don't have much time to read novels lately and spread out too long ruins the luster for me.

I'm not into many of the soap opera novels either. I like Stay With Me too. And I'm sure the Rav Grossman biography is incredible, haven't read it yet.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 10:16 am
isrmss91 wrote:
Full Circle by Gita Gordon was good.
I read My Sister in China, It was well written but sad. I feel like the end was not complete, but due to the story, could not be. I don't want to give away the story, but those who have read it will understand.
I am starting the new book by Miriam Luxenberg, called "Bringing Mordy Home" Will see how that goes, when I can get it back from my DD.
Has anyone read "To be continued" by Rand??

ML's Field of Dreams (a sequel to the very good Victory Gardens) was beautiful.

Goody2shoes

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 10:28 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm not into many of the soap opera novels either. I like Stay With Me too. And I'm sure the Rav Grossman biography is incredible, haven't read it yet.

I'm not into bios. I read light for enjoyment only. But I second Rav Grossman- the disco rabbi. It was a beautiful book and very well writen.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room