Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Tofutti herb and chives bought in error

ilic

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 12:29 pm
I want to make a parev cheesecake for dd who cant eat dairy. I unpacked the groceries and realised I bought 3 tubs of tofutti cheese with herb and chives instead of plain. Any ideas what I can do with this? I doubt she will like it in a sandwich.
Now I'm hoping the grocery has plain parev cheese, it took me a while to find those tubs to begin with.

emzod42

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 12:36 pm
You could probably make a dip with it. I've seen recipes for dips made with cream cheese.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 2:00 pm
Rolls or bread with dough made from cream cheese. Or use in place of some of the creamy cheese in a quiche.

hodeez

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 2:25 pm
Would be great in jalapeno poppers

kenz

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 5:55 pm
ilic wrote:
I want to make a parev cheesecake for dd who cant eat dairy. I unpacked the groceries and realised I bought 3 tubs of tofutti cheese with herb and chives instead of plain. Any ideas what I can do with this? I doubt she will like it in a sandwich.
Now I'm hoping the grocery has plain parev cheese, it took me a while to find those tubs to begin with.

This has happened to me at least 3 times- I don’t know why the stores don’t separate the different types and why tofutti makes them so similar... but anyway, I made stuffed challah with it for yom tov - roll out your strands of dough, fill with the pareve cream cheese, and then braid as usual. I topped it with everything bagel mix.

challahchallah

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 6:09 pm
You could probably make a pasta sauce with it.

Ima Piano

Post Fri, May 14 2021, 6:56 pm
ilic wrote:

Omg I had this last yr it was a disaster because I already used it in my cheesecake that went straight to the garbage bh u realized in time

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 2:58 pm
Ima Piano wrote:
Omg I had this last yr it was a disaster because I already used it in my cheesecake that went straight to the garbage bh u realized in time

Oh no, you poor thing! Sad

I like to use Tofutti products in meat dishes that are supposed to be creamy, like stroganoff or lasagna. Any recipe that would be treif if you added heavy cream, sour cream, or cream cheese can be substituted with Tofutti products.

You can also make cream of ____ soups to serve with a meat meal. Cream of mushroom is YUM!

Did you know that the inventor of Tofutti is a frum BT man? He wanted ice cream after meat, and there were no parve ice creams on the market at that time. Now he has an empire!

ilic

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:48 am
Thanks for all your ideas. Usually when these mistakes happen to me the food ends up getting spoiled because I have no clue what to do with it. But I'm really trying to avoid that going forward because it's such a waste.

I made a pasta sauce and added some, it tastes really good. I love the challa idea, but dont have time to bake challa today so il leave that for shabbos. And on Yom tov I may make a salad dressing or dip.

Also I'm sorry you guys also made the same mistake, but at least now I dont feel too stupid!
I found 2 tubs of plain cheese today, I need to go to another grocery I really hope il find 1 more so I can make her the cheesecake. She is feeling very sorry for herself because it's a recent thing that she cant eat dairy, so she knows that she loves cheesecake.

kenz

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 1:25 am
ilic wrote:
Thanks for all your ideas. Usually when these mistakes happen to me the food ends up getting spoiled because I have no clue what to do with it. But I'm really trying to avoid that going forward because it's such a waste.

I made a pasta sauce and added some, it tastes really good. I love the challa idea, but dont have time to bake challa today so il leave that for shabbos. And on Yom tov I may make a salad dressing or dip.

Also I'm sorry you guys also made the same mistake, but at least now I dont feel too stupid!
I found 2 tubs of plain cheese today, I need to go to another grocery I really hope il find 1 more so I can make her the cheesecake. She is feeling very sorry for herself because it's a recent thing that she cant eat dairy, so she knows that she loves cheesecake.

Just wanted to update that the challah was absolutely delicious- it tasted like rich garlic bread, the “cheese” totally melted into the dough.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals